House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
boo

Hometrack Reports 2.2% Yearly Drop

Sky news website reporting latest home track figures....got to love sibleys comments. Apparently when rates rise house prices will go up!

We all know this is not a true picture of the housing market . At the moment sellers are keeping the property off the market. Good stock is available at the right price. Nobody will sell cheap because we know as soon as the banks start lending again prices will rise.

Just enjoy a cheap mortgage for a while. When rates go up so will house prices. That will be the time to sell not now

Article

Like stepping into a time warp... :lol:

Sky news website reporting latest home track figures....got to love sibleys comments. Apparently when rates rise house prices will go up!

Yes, they may.

Expectations of future rates rises will sucker the last of the fools into a fixed rate mortgage, as expectations for future rate rises will give them the rush to get the "cheap" money before the price of it goes up.

Housing has two sides to the equation. On one side is the price and on the other side is the "cost" to borrow. If the cost to borrow side seems as though it is rising, then the fools will rush in.

Of course the banks will be happy to oblige. As IRs rise then they are more willing to lend to riskier borrowers.

This may give the housing market a blip -- before the whole lot comes crashing down to lack of jobs and lack of wages for those who do have jobs.

Welcome to poverty - UK style.

Dear old Sibley. Same old jokes. Still hilarious, though.

Dear old Sibley. Same old jokes. Still hilarious, though.

When the IR goes up there will be a surge or repos and people desperate to sell, you watch the prices drop then (not go up :blink:)

When the IR goes up there will be a surge or repos and people desperate to sell, you watch the prices drop then (not go up :blink:)

Don't forget less demand (ability to pay).

Great point Mr. Spin. IR rises are a bit of a double edged sword i.e. house prices may decline, but the cost of the mortgage will increase (encouraging people to buy and prop up the prices).

My worry is that IR will be kept low for years, meaning a slow decline but no crash. Eventually the economy will pick up (could be several years) inflation will level off, banks will lend more and ask for smaller deposits. Prices will then start to rise again, slowly.

The bastards might just pull it off...

Great point Mr. Spin. IR rises are a bit of a double edged sword i.e. house prices may decline, but the cost of the mortgage will increase (encouraging people to buy and prop up the prices).

My worry is that IR will be kept low for years, meaning a slow decline but no crash. Eventually the economy will pick up (could be several years) inflation will level off, banks will lend more and ask for smaller deposits. Prices will then start to rise again, slowly.

No they won't, just look at the numbers, the tanker doesn't even start to turn until the deficit reduces, they haven't even found the wheel yet.

If the deficit is worse at the end of this year than now then we are in serious trouble. So far, even the pointless consumer GDP has crashed, thousand of jobs are being lost every day and inflation is headed north. Unless the economy suddenly becomes competitive there is no way on earth they will reduce the deficit. Well I say economy, what I mean is the exporting productive bit that nobody likes to work for.

The bastards might just pull it off..

I do wonder if their assumptions incorporate the new attitude to property that has grown up during the boom. If we are now a nation of speculators then a clear downward trend should activate a stampede of 'investors' seeking to exit the market while prices are still high, with the plan of re entering later- sort of a mass STR behaviour.

Sure not everyone will take this route- but maybe more than would have historically been the case. Thus this time around the market might be less sticky than in the past, lubricated as it is by a speculator mentality that has not hitherto existed to the same degree.

This rush to the exit might then provoke the very crash they fear is coming.

Given their track record, I doubt it.

No they won't, just look at the numbers, the tanker doesn't even start to turn until the deficit reduces, they haven't even found the wheel yet.

If the deficit is worse at the end of this year than now then we are in serious trouble. So far, even the pointless consumer GDP has crashed, thousand of jobs are being lost every day and inflation is headed north. Unless the economy suddenly becomes competitive there is no way on earth they will reduce the deficit. Well I say economy, what I mean is the exporting productive bit that nobody likes to work for.

Forget the numbers. They are all fudged meaningless propaganda.

The volume of houses being sold in the UK is so low that few semis sold in London could alter house price indexes. If IR's start to rise I would expect house prices to rise temporarly for the reason I stated above - that is, there are muppets out there are looking at their cost to own a house rise. Why not lock in good rate while we can. You can hear it all now coming from the VIs and other sad low life scum. Like I said this will be temporary.. Then it's lights out for the housing market for at least a generation,

Haven't you learnt anything about the government and their masters - the bankers.

They will rape your mother and daughter before they let the banks fold. Remember the owners of the mortgaged property is not the person living in it.

Forget the numbers. They are all fudged meaningless propaganda.

The volume of houses being sold in the UK is so low that few semis sold in London could alter house price indexes. If IR's start to rise I would expect house prices to rise temporarly for the reason I stated above - that is, there are muppets out there are looking at their cost to own a house rise. Why not lock in good rate while we can. You can hear it all now coming from the VIs and other sad low life scum. Like I said this will be temporary.. Then it's lights out for the housing market for at least a generation,

The numbers I mean are not house sale numbers, they are the public finance numbers, the housing market is just a dead man standing, once it goes it will collapse.

There is very little activity, but the redundancy process is just beginning, it takes 90 days and then you have a bit of a stop gap with the redundancy money. But once identified as redundant, an individual with large debts will panic. Once the panic sellers start, the greedy sellers will start, no one should buy at the moment.

There is no way out for the housing market.

The numbers I mean are not house sale numbers, they are the public finance numbers, the housing market is just a dead man standing, once it goes it will collapse.

There is very little activity, but the redundancy process is just beginning, it takes 90 days and then you have a bit of a stop gap with the redundancy money. But once identified as redundant, an individual with large debts will panic. Once the panic sellers start, the greedy sellers will start, no one should buy at the moment.

There is no way out for the housing market.

The emergency budget of last year and all the claptrap about austerity and redundancies is all a red herring. It's just propaganda to stop the proles demanding more money. Even if the redundacies were true and did take place there would be government schemes enacted to "help" the poor owners with their debts.

There would only be a panic if the housing market in the UK was a free market based on supply and demand. The UK housing market is far from that.

Hope you bears are right!

I'm starting to question our collective sanity a bit. We all want a HPC. Partly because we want property to become more affordable, partly because we want smug over extended home owners/BTLs to face the consequences and partly because we all want to be proved right!

However, I think I am now starting to lose perspective. When I hear about rising inflation and unemployment I should be worried and appalled, yet I celebrate because it could bring a HPC. When I think about the massive levels of debt and huge deficit I don't worry about our country's future, I think how this will help collapse the property market.

I want a HPC, but I fear it's going to take an economic collapse or "lost decade" of stagflation to get one. Neither are appetising and in many respects would ruin the benefits of a HPC anyway. What a mess...

I have no intention to sell or buy, I own my own house, but to me it is obvious, the market cannot be supported the economy is not capable of doing so.

The national debt and the deficit cannot be hidden, they are hiding bank liabilities, but cannot do so for ever.

Bank bail out round 2 could happen later on this year or maybe next. If that happens it's good night. (see Ireland for one they made earlier)

I have no intention to sell or buy, I own my own house, but to me it is obvious, the market cannot be supported the economy is not capable of doing so.

The national debt and the deficit cannot be hidden, they are hiding bank liabilities, but cannot do so for ever.

Bank bail out round 2 could happen later on this year or maybe next. If that happens it's good night. (see Ireland for one they made earlier)

Ireland's got the Euro.

UK can, and will, devalue.

House prices could stay the same at the same time a slice of bread is a quid - butter that bread 1.50.

Hope you bears are right!

I'm starting to question our collective sanity a bit. We all want a HPC. Partly because we want property to become more affordable, partly because we want smug over extended home owners/BTLs to face the consequences and partly because we all want to be proved right!

However, I think I am now starting to lose perspective. When I hear about rising inflation and unemployment I should be worried and appalled, yet I celebrate because it could bring a HPC. When I think about the massive levels of debt and huge deficit I don't worry about our country's future, I think how this will help collapse the property market.

I want a HPC, but I fear it's going to take an economic collapse or "lost decade" of stagflation to get one. Neither are appetising and in many respects would ruin the benefits of a HPC anyway. What a mess...

Succinct and on the money.

This is the feeling of most on here, I suspect.

You're right, what a total mess.