House Price Crash Forum
montesquieu

What's The Male Average Salary?

Having a discussion with the wife (who has woken up to the whole economics of the UK's current situation with some horror). She didn't believe me when I told her male average earnings was around the £25k mark.

I can't find any sensible links that define this ... Ideally I'm looking for something that will tell me mean and median but also show the distribution graphically.

She asked me how was it possible then for the average house price to be up close to or even over the £200k mark (depending what index you use). Good question and I guess we could get into all that, as well as long-term trends of income multiples.

But first I'd like to convince her of the numbers as she doesn't believe me. Earns just under £40k as a university lecturer and feels underpaid (she does work hard for this money and the pressures are substantial these days).

Having a discussion with the wife (who has woken up to the whole economics of the UK's current situation with some horror). She didn't believe me when I told her male average earnings was around the £25k mark.

I can't find any sensible links that define this ... Ideally I'm looking for something that will tell me mean and median but also show the distribution graphically.

She asked me how was it possible then for the average house price to be up close to or even over the £200k mark (depending what index you use). Good question and I guess we could get into all that, as well as long-term trends of income multiples.

But first I'd like to convince her of the numbers as she doesn't believe me. Earns just under £40k as a university lecturer and feels underpaid (she does work hard for this money and the pressures are substantial these days).

The £25k figure is about right - maybe 28k in the SE. It is quite something to understand that the IR confirm, 90% of the poulation earn less than £50k pa. There is no reason for an ordinary house to be £200k atall. It is only appalling lending policy which allowed it to get there. People will borrow 5 and 6 x their salary if you let them. And if you do, then why be surprised if the price goes up tomeet the borrowing capability. We do ourselves no favours having loose kending like this. Much better to enforce a policy of 2 x salary and 0.5 second income on ALL lenders. Then, looking back over 50 years we would not have inflated so much, be far more competitive with lower salaries, and be able to but house for far less than today. Mr Shapps needs to learn this and stop bleating about helping people onto the 'ladder'. It currently the ladder to hell. Much betteer to have prices collapse properly and never allow this silly lending ever again.

Average Male salary is around £25-30k for full time workers

Around £50k for people who post on the internet

Around £90k for people on HPC but instantly converted to gold, tinned goods and guns as we don't trust fiat currencies.

More then Andy Gray can ever hope to earn now.

But i did read somewhere recently that females under 30s earn more then men under 30, no link and not really sure what truth there is in it... im sure if its wrong theyll make it law soon enough.

edit link http://www.cleardebt.co.uk/blog/women-in-debt-earn-more-than-men-until-they-hit-40_16152

Edited by I-hate-scumlords

But i did read somewhere recently that females under 30s earn more then men under 30, no link and not really sure what truth there is in it... im sure if its wrong theyll make it law soon enough.

Female lobbyists have been bleating that the govt. cuts are going to hit women the most.. Looks like they've done quite well so far

285.gif

Thanks, yes I got the statistics.gov.uk link but was hoping for something more graphical with a bit of context.

I forgot to add her comment in reply to the number was: 'So the UK is a low-wage country then!' (She's from Taiwan).

It does depend upon what you mean by average.

The median for full time is about £25,000.

The mean is about £33,000.

It's worth noting that the various HP surveys are are baed on the mean so that is perhaps the more useful measure for wage price comparison.

Around £90k for people on HPC but instantly converted to gold, tinned goods and guns as we don't trust fiat currencies.

And what you think your paper is safer for some reason?

It is sort of like a modern day Pascal's wager.

Simply what have you got to lose if you buy masses of food which keeps for a long time? Tinned and dried goods like my rice stock pile (I buy off failed businesses) can last me a long time especially as I have vacuum sealed packs.

While you may scoff and laugh I win both ways.... if no SHTF incident occurs I defend myself from ravages of food inflation for a long time. Also if TSHTF I how convenient! I have a shotgun and food. You think you can take my stuff with your blunt force hand to hand combat weapons?

So a university lecturer has only just woken up to our economic problems? No wonder students are rioting over tuition fees!

And she feels underpaid!

And what you think your paper is safer for some reason?

It is sort of like a modern day Pascal's wager.

Simply what have you got to lose if you buy masses of food which keeps for a long time? Tinned and dried goods like my rice stock pile (I buy off failed businesses) can last me a long time especially as I have vacuum sealed packs.

While you may scoff and laugh I win both ways.... if no SHTF incident occurs I defend myself from ravages of food inflation for a long time. Also if TSHTF I how convenient! I have a shotgun and food. You think you can take my stuff with your blunt force hand to hand combat weapons?

Actually I've noticed you are putting on a bit of weight lately. I think having all that food in the house is making you eat more. I reckon you are eating 20% more food and inflation is only 10%.

Its quite shocking really that this whole situation would have passed a university lecturer by. Its only been going on for the best part of a decade. I hope she isn't a lecturer in Economic or the Social Sciences as that sort of ignorance of the real world would be quite shocking in those fields

Linking average pay to average house prices is a useful "rule of thumb" measure, but it's not a perfect one.

As well as all the commonly quoted distortions (interest rates, taxation and tax incentives/distortions, credit availability etc) there's also one that doesn't get as much attention as it deserves. The fact is the "average" person doesn't own the "average" home, owner occupancy is now under 70% and falling quickly. It was probably unsustainably high and is likely to fall back to the 50-60% level that's common on the continent.

Its quite shocking really that this whole situation would have passed a university lecturer by. Its only been going on for the best part of a decade. I hope she isn't a lecturer in Economic or the Social Sciences as that sort of ignorance of the real world would be quite shocking in those fields

University lecturer = public sector which means completely totally and utterly secure jobs, being paid more than the private sector (of which your income depends upon the theft from), a theft based pension scheme which again steals from the private sector which she will be receive a grossly disproportionate amount of income from compared to the amount she paid in.

While your union lies and spreads propaganda about being underpaid compared to the private sector.

It passed most people by, including any amount of self-proclaimed experts in the business and finance world. Hence why we are where we are.

ECONOMICS LECTURER IS SHE?

Should be pointed out, that if the discussion you have has anything to do with house prices, the key thing is,

How much is the average salary for FTBers? Not the overall average salary.

This will be increasingly important, and is often forgotten when discussing the future of house prices compared to salaries.

Depends on the measure. by salary do you actually mean salary, or income?

The median income, factoring in benefits etc, is roughly 25k, gross. BUT! this is based on those actually paying tax (ie on the taxmans data that is used to calculate this). Housewives etc not included, or young Xavier who has just come back from travelling and doesn't want to work in Mcdonalds.

Should be pointed out, that if the discussion you have has anything to do with house prices, the key thing is,

How much is the average salary for FTBers? Not the overall average salary.

This will be increasingly important, and is often forgotten when discussing the future of house prices compared to salaries.

(average salary for FTBers x N) + average capital that FTBers introduce = average price of a first home

but

by the time you are talking about a 5 bed detached in its own land, there are so many other variables

No wonder she feels underpaid if students are going to be splashing out up to 9k per year to go there(up until now this being paid for by the taxpayer), especially if there are on average 50 students to a lecture. And where does she think the extra money to pay for her pay increase is going to come from - either students should pay even more or the poor taxpayer is going to get another hit.

Edited by blackgoose