House Price Crash Forum
Realistbear

Osborne To Scrap Fuel Duty Rise In April--This Is H U G E

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring/news/8286377/Fuel-tax-rise-could-be-shelved-George-Osborne-indicates.html

Fuel tax rise could be shelved, George Osborne indicates
A 1p rise in fuel duty due to come into effect in April could be shelved, George Osborne has indicated.

I had just decided to cut my driving by 50% after the last round of increases and I see now that it was all in vain with that 1p not being added to fuel in April.

This is huge news and probably the most earth shattering post of the week so far.

1p rise cancelled!

woohoo.

It cost £74 to fill up today.

That 1p will make all the difference.

Yep the 1p will make all the difference, I knew we could trust the Government of real great people that really care

1p rise cancelled!

woohoo.

It cost £74 to fill up today.

That 1p will make all the difference.

....but it will be far more than 1p if it happens....this is good news...you can't get blood out of a stone....and you can't pay £74 when you only have £7.50. ;)

Edited by winkie

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring/news/8286377/Fuel-tax-rise-could-be-shelved-George-Osborne-indicates.html

A 1p rise in fuel duty due to come into effect in April could be shelved, George Osborne has indicated.

I had just decided to cut my driving by 50% after the last round of increases and I see now that it was all in vain with that 1p not being added to fuel in April.

This is huge news and probably the most earth shattering post of the week so far.

Presumably like all politicians, he made it clear which area of government expenditure will be cut to pay for all of this?

....but it will be far more than 1p if it happens....this is good news...you can't get blood out of a stone....and you can't pay £74 when you only have £7.50. ;)

Petrol will be dribbling up in price until April anyway. They will keep pushing and pushing the price. People are not stopping buying the stuff. The roads are absolutely heaving still.

I reckon you'd have to surgicially remove most people from car ownership.

Petrol can be £3 a L and people will still drive to placed rather than get the bus.

Guest UK Debt Slave

I can assure you they will get the money off you somehow else.

If fuel duty looks like it is becoming too big an issue, they'll just find another means to rob you.

For what it's worth, I took my car off the road 3 years ago having decided that motoring is an extortion racket, at considerable inconvenience to myself I might add. At least I have the comfort of knowing i have deprived the Treasury of several thousand pounds of fuel duty.

Petrol will be dribbling up in price until April anyway. They will keep pushing and pushing the price. People are not stopping buying the stuff. The roads are absolutely heaving still.

I reckon you'd have to surgicially remove most people from car ownership.

Petrol can be £3 a L and people will still drive to placed rather than get the bus.

I agree people will not give up their car easily...but they will take it out less, they will think before they drive, they will plan to do several things in one journey, they will drive more economically, ie; slow down to an optimum speed, less heavy breaking etc, they will look to buying a more fuel efficient car next time. They will spend less on food, eating out and other things before they give up driving their car. ;)

I agree people will not give up their car easily...but they will take it out less, they will think before they drive, they will plan to do several things in one journey, they will drive more economically, ie; slow down to an optimum speed, less heavy breaking etc, they will look to buying a more fuel efficient car next time. They will spend less on food, eating out and other things before they give up driving their car. ;)

I spend a lot less on eating out these days and have stopped drinking entirely. This is down to the smoking ban.

Why is he scrapping it. 1p is insignificant and fuel prices are headed higher as once oil is over 100 dollars it will probably shoot up pretty quickly to it's last high.

I'd rather pay tax to the UK government than line the pockets of saudi arabian oil billionaires.

The only solution to high oil prices is high petrol prices. They should tax the shit out of the stuff.

In other news, families will be 10p per week better off come the forthcoming budget.

Why is he scrapping it. 1p is insignificant and fuel prices are headed higher as once oil is over 100 dollars it will probably shoot up pretty quickly to it's last high.

I'd rather pay tax to the UK government than line the pockets of saudi arabian oil billionaires.

The only solution to high oil prices is high petrol prices. They should tax the shit out of the stuff.

....don't say that we do not want to encourage anymore mewing now do we. ;)

I spend a lot less on eating out these days and have stopped drinking entirely. This is down to the smoking ban.

This is clearly tax evasion.

Expect a severe audit and investigation from HMRC soon.

yess!! and about time too.

this is a new era in fuel prices. only £1.28 a litre now.

whats everyone going to be spending their extra money on?

We are all saved, thanks Osborne, for a minute it was looking touch and go...

Speaking of us being saved, has he confirmed the removal of the 20% tax on savings yet in the upcoming budget?

Conservatives to offer tax cuts for savers, pledges George Osborne

Savers are the "forgotten victims" of the recession and the tax system must be reformed to help them, the Conservatives have pledged

Mr Osborne says: "Savers and pensioners are the forgotten victims of Labour's recession. Over the past year, someone with £10,000 of savings in an easy access high street account has seen their income halve from £50 a month to less than £25.

While the Prime Minister (then Gordon Brown) may have forgotten about Britain's savers, the Conservatives have not," Mr Osborne said. "We will take action to help."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/politics/conservative/3834655/Conservatives-to-offer-tax-cuts-for-savers-pledges-George-Osborne.html

I am thinking about joining the minority, and report to work after walking there tomorrow, which will save me some money on petrol.

Does this mean I am now under suspicion for a pre-crime?

I forgot to mention that the only things I have bought in Central London since Ken the Red introduced his congestion tax have been one suit, one meal and one pair of gloves.

I forgot to mention that the only things I have bought in Central London since Ken the Red introduced his congestion tax have been one suit, one meal and one pair of gloves.

that must have been an exciting day.

Er, it's not a promise, it's a "we will look at that", ie, dream on suckers!

Any 1p off 129.9p/l is a drop in ocean. Remember we had riots when it went over 80p per litre. We've become too supine.