House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Realistbear

Ford To Report Most Profit Since 2000 - Recovery On

http://www.housepricecrash.co.uk/forum/index.php?app=forums&module=post&section=post&do=new_post&f=22

Ford `Money Machine' May Report Most Profitable Year Since 2000
By Keith "Keef" Naughton - Jan 27, 2011 5:01 AM GMT
Ford Motor Co., the second-largest U.S. automaker, may report its most profitable year since 2000 tomorrow, boosted by new models and a better reputation.
The annual profit would be the second straight for Chief Executive Officer Alan Mulally, who has improved quality and expanded the model lineup. Profit excluding some items for 2010, according to the average of 15 analysts’ estimates, may be $2.08 a share, the highest since $4.36 a share in 2000. Fourth-quarter profit may be 48 cents, the average of 14 estimates.
“Ford is building better cars, they’re more fuel-efficient and they’ve really focused on quality since Alan Mulally came in,” said Gary Bradshaw, a fund manager at Dallas-based Hodges Capital Management, which owns 100,000 Ford common shares and 100,000 preferred shares. “He’s just making this company a money machine.”
...../
Ford shares rose 68 percent in 2010 and have gained 9.4 percent this year in New York Stock Exchange composite trading.

The new Focus and Fiesta are a little bit tempting if you are in the market for new. Must admit that the gap between Fords and the cheaper end of the German stuff has probably closed. Lots of pent-up demand driving car market in the US.

Have to admit to a small VI in this as I loaded up on Ford shares just before Crimbo seeing them as a good bet given their beaten down status and the looks of the ndew models. A friend has a new Mondeo and I could see myself buying one instead of the usual Jap fare offered by Honda or Mazda. Just the image problem I suppose--very reppy. Then againh--aren't more BMW 3 series sold than Mondeos? If I was to go German I might buy a Merc CLK coupe -- 2.0 Kompressor around £5k for a nice one 5 years old.

Ford’s quality was best among mass-market brands last year in a J.D. Power & Associates survey of car buyers after 90 days of ownership, placing fifth after luxury brands including Porsche.

Maybe its more myth than truth that German brands are better?

The new Focus and Fiesta are a little bit tempting if you are in the market for new. Must admit that the gap between Fords and the cheaper end of the German stuff has probably closed. Lots of pent-up demand driving car market in the US.

How do they compare on price?

I seem to remember that although they've caught up in quality terms the cost has also followed that.

Ford’s quality was best among mass-market brands last year in a J.D. Power & Associates survey of car buyers after 90 days of ownership, placing fifth after luxury brands including Porsche.

Maybe its more myth than truth that German brands are better?

German brands are better on the whole which is why wealthy Americans shun their own for Teutonic or Scandenavian models. BMW is doing very well but Mercedes may be developing a bit of an image problem in the West like Jaguar - ie bit old mannish.

http://uk.finance.yahoo.com/news/Ford-doubles-profit-2010-afp-4037919068.html?x=0&.v=1

Ford doubles profit in 2010
14:20, Friday 28 January 2011
Ford (NYSE: F - news) said Friday annual profit doubled in 2010 to its highest earnings in more than a decade, as the second-biggest US automaker posted strong worldwide results and paid down debt.
For all of 2010, Ford reported net income of $6.6 billion, or $1.66 per share, up 135 percent from 2009.

SELL SELL SELL!!! :o

Ford Motor Company Common Stock(NYSE: F )

Real Time 16.61 -2.18 -11.60% :lol::lol::lol:

Shouda made a loss.

http://uk.finance.yahoo.com/news/Weak-Europe-holds-back-Ford-digilook-1411376471.html?x=0&.v=1

16:37, Friday 28 January 2011
LONDON (ShareCast) - US car maker Ford (NYSE: F - news) posted a
sharp fall in profits
in the fourth quarter as a strong performance in its home market failed to offset weakness in Europe (news).
Ford (NYSE: F - news) said Friday
annual profit doubled
in 2010 to its highest earnings in more than a decade, as the second-biggest US automaker posted strong worldwide results and paid down debt.
For all of 2010, Ford reported net income of $6.6 billion, or $1.66 per share, up 135 percent from 2009.

Looks like profit doubled and this was a sharp fall in profits. Sounds like Banksters are running Ford now?

TBH though--seems like European sales are tanking while the rest of the world including China is booming. But what happens in Europe is key as the world is driven by the EU and not the BRICS or North American market.

http://uk.finance.yahoo.com/news/Weak-Europe-holds-back-Ford-digilook-1411376471.html?x=0&.v=1

16:37, Friday 28 January 2011
LONDON (ShareCast) - US car maker Ford (NYSE: F - news) posted a
sharp fall in profits
in the fourth quarter as a strong performance in its home market failed to offset weakness in Europe (news).
Ford (NYSE: F - news) said Friday
annual profit doubled
in 2010 to its highest earnings in more than a decade, as the second-biggest US automaker posted strong worldwide results and paid down debt.

Looks like profit doubled and this was a sharp fall in profits. Sounds like Banksters are running Ford now?

TBH though--seems like European sales are tanking while the rest of the world including China is booming. But what happens in Europe is key as the world is driven by the EU and not the BRICS or North American market.

In earnings season i think it is a better policy to sell just before the close on the day before the announcement.

In earnings season i think it is a better policy to sell just before the close on the day before the announcement.

Darn right--I sold half my Ford holdings a couple of days ago (buy on rumour sell on news appraoch to investing) and held the other half thinking good news would boost the share prices. My profit on the second half has been wiped out. Contrarian market with a powerful vengeance. Not often a big company like Ford pull off a 135% increase in global profit and see at 12% drop in SP. Question is--do you buy on this dip or is this a trend?

Darn right--I sold half my Ford holdings a couple of days ago (buy on rumour sell on news appraoch to investing) and held the other half thinking good news would boost the share prices. My profit on the second half has been wiped out. Contrarian market with a powerful vengeance. Not often a big company like Ford pull off a 135% increase in global profit and see at 12% drop in SP. Question is--do you buy on this dip or is this a trend?

There is no new good / non priced in news coming, so it depends your view of China.

Selling half / holding half (depending when you bought) is probably a decent low risk strategy, I can't see any major stock move in any direction this year.

One thing I will say, the loss in Q4 in FOE, maybe related more to accounting errors than trade. I can't really going into details. So the rumour is $50million wasn't there, then it was (and breakeven), now it's not.

If you engage in global wage arbitrage in the way Ford has done, you should expect to be able to increase profits.

You have no idea.

Actually maybe you do, so yeah, it's fairly terrible.

Wonder how it breaks down?

In more recent years, their US bit hasnt been profitable IIRC, but the euro, very much so.

Lots of growth in asia maybe?

Had the report at work this afternoon.

Forget the exact details, but basically decent India + China and very solid in NA.

EU was pretty much the only bad news.

You would be a bit pushed to find one at that sort of price.

Got to agree about the Ford product. If America continues to embrace smaller cars like the Focus and Fiesta as it appears to be doing Ford are well placed as an American manufacturer to capitalise on this.

One of the reasons I hung on to half my shares--MT and LT looks good and the stock had been beaten down badly. Todays sell of was shock and awe and seems to be out of touch with pretty decent fundamentals (double world wide profit and huge growth in BRICS--especially China). Motor reviews are saying Fiesta and Focus are outstanding.

German brands are better on the whole which is why wealthy Americans shun their own for Teutonic or Scandenavian models. BMW is doing very well but Mercedes may be developing a bit of an image problem in the West like Jaguar - ie bit old mannish.

I remember an episode of "the Sopranos" where the cars were stolen at a Jewish wedding!

All the Hondas and Mercedes went, but they left the Buick!

Well off Americans pay well over the top to be seen in a "foreign" car! :huh:

I remember an episode of "the Sopranos" where the cars were stolen at a Jewish wedding!

All the Hondas and Mercedes went, but they left the Buick!

Well off Americans pay well over the top to be seen in a "foreign" car! :huh:

Americans pay less for their German cars than we do.

http://models.audiusa.com/a4-sedan

PremiumFrom $32,300* (£20,370)

2.0T Premium feature highlights:

17" wheels with all-season tires

Four-spoke, leather-wrapped steering wheel

Audi concert radio with SIRIUS® Satellite Radio

Automatic climate control

Power front seats with driver lumbar support

Leather seating surfaces

http://www.audi.co.uk/new-cars/a4/a4-saloon/specifications.html

A4 Saloon 2.0 TFSI manual 211 manual 149 44.1 F 18% £27,500

I suspect the UK version is not as well equipped for the £5k + differential.

Bottom line: We will pay over the odds to be seen in German metal. :)

Edited by Realistbear