House Price Crash Forum
Realistbear

Sarkozy: France & Germany Will Not Let Euro Fail

http://uk.finance.yahoo.com/news/Davos-WEF-2011-Sarkozy-says-tele-621495290.html?x=0

Davos WEF 2011: Sarkozy says France and Germany will 'never let the euro fail'
Philip Aldrick, 13:12, Thursday 27 January 2011
France and Germany will never turn their backs on the euro, French President Nicolas Sarkozy has said in his most robust defence of the troubled single currency to date.
Addressing the World Economic Forum in Davos, he told speculators to be prepared for big losses if they bet against the euro. “[Germany’s] Chancellor Merkel and myself will never do you hear me, never let the euro fall,” he said.
“The euro is Europe (news) . And Europe spells 60 years of peace. Therefore we will never let the euro go or be destroyed… To those who bet against the euro, watch out for your money because we are fully determined to defend the euro.”

60 years of peace in a 2000 year history marked by more or less continuous wars--and especially France vs. Germany. Peace is easy when things are going well but as soon as the plates start to come of the spindles its everyone for themselves. Nationalism always triumphs over political friendships.

I would take what Sarkozy says with a pinch of pepper. Watched the proggy about Mssr. Duval last night--the French Nazi collaborater and heard lots of never this and never that coming fom him too. Its political rhetoric and comes cheap.

Edited by Realistbear

http://uk.finance.yahoo.com/news/Davos-WEF-2011-Sarkozy-says-tele-621495290.html?x=0

Philip Aldrick, 13:12, Thursday 27 January 2011
France and Germany will never turn their backs on the euro, French President Nicolas Sarkozy has said in his most robust defence of the troubled single currency to date.
Addressing the World Economic Forum in Davos, he told speculators to be prepared for big losses if they bet against the euro. “[Germany’s] Chancellor Merkel and myself will never do you hear me, never let the euro fall,” he said.
“The euro is Europe (news) . And Europe spells 60 years of peace. Therefore we will never let the euro go or be destroyed… To those who bet against the euro, watch out for your money because we are fully determined to defend the euro.”

60 years of peace in a 2000 year history marked by more or less continuous wars--and especially France vs. Germany. Peace is easy when things are going well but as soon as the plates start to come of the spindles its everyone for themselves. Nationalism always triumphs over political friendships.

I would take what Sarkozy says with a pinch of pepper. Watched the proggy about Mssr. Duval last night--the French Nazi collaborater and heard lots of never this and never that coming fom him too. Its political rhetoric and comes cheap.

I assumed that he said these words because Germany is about to leave the Euro, and is his inferring that war might be a possibility if they do so.

My advice to Germany is to leave, and if necessary, fight that war. The alternative of meekly paying off the debts of others indefinitely isnt one I would recommend, and if you want that sort of thing, consider becoming young and British.

I assumed that he said these words because Germany is about to leave the Euro, and is his inferring that war might be a possibility if they do so.

My advice to Germany is to leave, and if necessary, fight that war. The alternative of meekly paying off the debts of others indefinitely isnt one I would recommend, and if you want that sort of thing, consider becoming young and British.

:lol::lol::lol:

Well it's total disintegration of the Euro or PRINT AND BAIL. I say the banks are actually in charge not talking heads like Sarkozy or Merkel, so my money is on PRINT AND BAIL.

:lol::lol::lol:

Well it's total disintegration of the Euro or PRINT AND BAIL. I say the banks are actually in charge not talking heads like Sarkozy or Merkel, so my money is on PRINT AND BAIL.

Well the talking shop where the real power is has just announced the world needs another 100 trillion, so another 100 trillion they'll get. Printy, printy. Listen to Soros serfs

Edited by Scott Sando

Sort of right up there in the Hall of Fame of notable last words.

Like that US Civil War General Sedgwick, 'They couldn't hit an elephant at this........................'

Like that US Civil War General Sedgwick, 'They couldn't hit an elephant at this........................'

And if I recall the incident correctly, he was absolutely right, and they missed the elephant by quite some distance.

Sarkozy? Is this the same French President who threatened to take France out of the Euro if he didn't get what he wanted back in May last year?

Nationalist,

Sarkozy is that rare breed of politician who never contradicts himself. It would be a great success for the Euro, and help ensure its longevity, if France were to do the honourable thing and withdraw from it and go back to the Franc.

[OT] Shot in the head from 1000 yards by a sniper using a British made Whitworth rifle.

"Like that US Civil War General Sedgwick, 'They couldn't hit an elephant at this........................' "

Thank you for that reference.

I've been looking for it for ages.

As for the euro, it's working just a treat for the Hun. Who will not pay for his brethren on the rim. Will take every last jot of advantage from the depressionary deflation it will cause them. And if some of them fall away, as they probably will, the Hun will take every jot more he can wring out of them.

Shame really.

And I appreciate that is not a very nice thing to say. And I don't do it just to be nasty but because it's the best explanation for European interest rates I can find.

And I don't think the Hun has done this. I think the Hun will take as much advantage of it as it is unforeseen and that is totally.

Ahh.. our glorious little Hungarian leader again. I must apologise to you people back home. Two things are certain. One, that whatever he says you should ignore him (we all do here in France). Two, that the single currency will trundle on its merry course oblivious to all the hyperbole and drivel that is talked about it. It may go up or down in relation to other currencies, important ones like the dollar and third world ones like the pound, but that is how the system is supposed to work. Some more nations will join it, I doubt any will leave. One day it might replace the dollar as the world reserve currency or maybe that will be the Yuan. Meantime buy some now for your summer holidays if you want to save a few bob.

Ahh.. our glorious little Hungarian leader again. I must apologise to you people back home. Two things are certain. One, that whatever he says you should ignore him (we all do here in France). Two, that the single currency will trundle on its merry course oblivious to all the hyperbole and drivel that is talked about it. It may go up or down in relation to other currencies, important ones like the dollar and third world ones like the pound, but that is how the system is supposed to work. Some more nations will join it, I doubt any will leave. One day it might replace the dollar as the world reserve currency or maybe that will be the Yuan. Meantime buy some now for your summer holidays if you want to save a few bob.

Do the French always vote for someone that they intend to ignore?

As for how the system is supposed to work, does that include all the money that the Irish printed for themselves, was that part of the plan?

If you doubt any will leave, then presumably Sarkozy was wasting his breath saying that it will not be allowed to fail? After all, if there werent any problems, what would be the point of defending it with a surfeit of jawboning?

The euro will not fail as such. It will be forced to reform as the periphery will not be able to grow whilst trapped in a currency union with Germany and France. Spanish unemployment rising again today, Greece in recession, Ireland stuffed and Portugal.

Currencies balance competitiveness between countries and are an essential means of adjustment after a debt binge on the scale seen in the last decade. If you can’t adjust you go down Argentina style. At least you can then start to recover.

It will split eventually in to a North and South area. It will probably take several years for this to happen though.