House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SarahBell

Mary Portas Queen Of Sofas

I enjoy watching this program as it's quite fun to see inside shops I'd never normally go in...

This time was sofas and she went in loads.

We looked for a new sofa about 4 years ago and went in tons of shops. Couldn't find anything of a sensible size at a sensible price in a sensible colour and ended up spending about £40 on a sofa from a charity shop.

How do people shop for sofas? Do they really not bother taking note of how big their houses are? Do sofa manufacturers know how big normal homes are?

Am tempted to visit Furniture store as she said they gave free cookies out (Think it was them) and I know Harveys will make you a brew whilst you're looking for a new sofa,

:-)

Well, to keep the discussion to the track we expect at HPC.......HOW FVCKIN MUCH DID THAT BLOKE PAY FOR THAT SOFA - AND ALL ON CREDIT TOO!!!!!!

No wonder the bloke who owns the place drives a Bentley convertible! He has a brilliant business plan, Make sofa for £50.....sell sofa for 3 grand.

....the mass market sofas made today are made cheaply and poorly......I dismantled one last year to recycle and make use of the timber....anyway the frame was made of sawn softwood two by one held together with staples...the cushions were made of foam that became flat and uncomfortable in next to no time and the material was not the best quality thickness or weight.......the laughable thing is they are asking hundreds of pounds for something that may only look nice and last for less than the length of credit facility taken to buy it. ;)

....the mass market sofas made today are made cheaply and poorly......I dismantled one last year to recycle and make use of the timber....anyway the frame was made of sawn softwood two by one held together with staples...the cushions were made of foam that became flat and uncomfortable in next to no time and the material was not the best quality thickness or weight.......the laughable thing is they are asking hundreds of pounds for something that may only look nice and last for less than the length of credit facility taken to buy it. ;)

The guy who owned the sofa chain pointed out that it looked "heavily used". Unless a sofa has been subjected to very heavy use, bordering on abuse, then it shouldn't look like that after a couple of years. If it does then it isn't fot for it's purpose, especially considering what it costs. To my mind a piece of furniture which retails for £1,600 should last many, many years - in the order of decades.

That guy who said he earns £57K. Need I say more?

On a separate note, I have in the past bought a big box warehouse sofa and it was made shittily. Where can one buy proper furniture nowadays without spending muchos moolah?

It's probably not possible. The industry feeds what the market will bear and people will buy on size and looks, rather than quality. It's like houses - have you seen the build quality of a modern new-build house? It's shit. Bargain basement materials chucked together as cheaply as possible.

Bottom line. People don't want to think about quality. They want short term gratification at any price. Most people are more interested in impressing their friends with something flash looking, rather than something of quality.

On a separate note, I have in the past bought a big box warehouse sofa and it was made shittily. Where can one buy proper furniture nowadays without spending muchos moolah?

We plumped for an Ikea sofa, it cost just over a grand for a big sofa and two chairs (and delivery), and it's not in bad nick for nearly seven years old, despite what my kids have done to it.

We bought cheap wooden bed frames for the kids, that seemed solid enough in the shop. We've had no problem with them either.

I've been looking for a new dining table and chairs. I've seen pricey stuff that appears to be as well built as the stuff in Barker and Stonehouse (which seems pretty good BTW) yet they want twice the price B&S are charging. I've also seen some cheap nasty 'veneered chipboard' stuff that has a price tag higher than solid wood elsewhere.

Price no longer appears to bear any relation to quality when it comes to furniture.

Bottom line. People don't want to think about quality. They want short term gratification at any price. Most people are more interested in impressing their friends with something flash looking, rather than something of quality.

I know him too

Slightly OT, but who else was convinced that the CSL boss batted for the other side.

I was gobsmacked when his girlfriend appeared.

Trouble is determining what constitutes a lot of money. A couple of grand for a sofa? Maybe more expenive than some shite, but if it is still solid and doing the job 25 years later and 3 house moves down the line, possibly better value. There are a few places online at least that do profess to sell good sofas. Search for them.

Trouble is determining what constitutes a lot of money. A couple of grand for a sofa? Maybe more expenive than some shite, but if it is still solid and doing the job 25 years later and 3 house moves down the line, possibly better value. There are a few places online at least that do profess to sell good sofas. Search for them.

Personally I would never pay full price for a sofa. Don't see the point, as a previous poster has mentioned one can get a very good furniture second hand. At worst you might need to get a new cover for it, even then the bill would be in the £100 range, paying anything more is really quite silly.

It's probably not possible. The industry feeds what the market will bear and people will buy on size and looks, rather than quality. It's like houses - have you seen the build quality of a modern new-build house? It's shit. Bargain basement materials chucked together as cheaply as possible.

hence why China become the manufacturing hub of the world.

Slightly OT, but who else was convinced that the CSL boss batted for the other side.

I was gobsmacked when his girlfriend appeared.

Ha, both me and other half said exactly the same thing! He has the same taste in birds as he does in houses - cheap looking yet clearly very expensive!