House Price Crash Forum

Yeeeesss :)

That constant hammering you can hear is the sound of more nails being knocked into the HPI coffin.

Yeeeesss :)

That constant hammering you can hear is the sound of more nails being knocked into the HPI coffin.

But, the corpse inside is still twitching and most onlookers are still expecting it to pull a Lazarus, then bash its way out of the sealed coffin with its mighty strength.

House prices in England and Wales fell for a seventh month in a row in January, dropping 2.2 percent from a year earlier, property data firm Hometrack said on Thursday.

The monthly survey of more than 5,000 estate agents and surveyors showed prices slipped 0.5 percent on the month, slightly more than December's 0.4 percent decline. That took the average house price down to 153,600 pounds.

Hometrack said the sluggish start to 2011 was likely to continue, given the uncertainty over the economic recovery and worries about the effect of government cuts.

"Prices are set, in the short term, to remain under downward pressure," Richard Donnell, director of research at Hometrack, said in a statement. "Household budgets being squeezed by increased taxation will be stretched further if concerns over rising inflation translate into higher interest rates."

Over the last six months, Hometrack's survey has recorded a 26 percent fall in demand, with a drop of 9.5 percent in January alone, suggesting the housing market faces more fundamental problems than the usual post-Christmas slowdown.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MWHKL71np_k

Nice for sentiment.

Now if only these figures were true of property around here - still very little for sale, still very expensive.

Nice for sentiment.

Now if only these figures were true of property around here - still very little for sale, still very expensive.

You should move to the prosperous and HPC immune SE just east of Brighton where prices can't drop---down 10% in January alone! I am tracking a number of properties in the £250 range and Zoopla reveals the wonderful truth of what is happening in the REAL marketplace.

So ignore the VI rubbish on Hometrack and feed on reality! :D

http://uk.finance.yahoo.com/news/House-price-fall-seventh-tele-3044543020.html;_ylt=Ar2ud3E0cqTa.mQodz4mAk3Sr7FG;_ylu=X3oDMTE5NmNzZnBjBHBvcwMxMARzZWMDeWZpVG9wU3RvcmllcwRzbGsDaG91c2VwcmljZWZh?x=0

Greater London and the
South East saw the steepest price falls
during the month, with the cost of property dropping by 0.6pc, while falls were lowest in the East Midlands and South West at 0.3pc.

But, but the experts told us that the falling prices wouldn't affect the SE as everyone who lives there are cash buyers. :blink::blink::blink:

NOW I know why I am seeing huge drops on the properties I am tracking in the Brighton East area. Make that two choccy McVities please. :D

Edited by Realistbear

http://uk.finance.yahoo.com/news/House-price-fall-seventh-tele-3044543020.html;_ylt=Ar2ud3E0cqTa.mQodz4mAk3Sr7FG;_ylu=X3oDMTE5NmNzZnBjBHBvcwMxMARzZWMDeWZpVG9wU3RvcmllcwRzbGsDaG91c2VwcmljZWZh?x=0

Greater London and the
South East saw the steepest price falls
during the month, with the cost of property dropping by 0.6pc, while falls were lowest in the East Midlands and South West at 0.3pc.

But, but the experts told us that the falling prices wouldn't affect the SE as everyone who lives there are cash buyers. :blink::blink::blink:

NOW I know why I am seeing huge drops on the properties I am tracking in the Brighton East area. Make that two choccy McVities please. :D

That survey is quite obviously flawed as everyone knows that London and the South East are immune and prices only ever rise because rich city boys and foreign investors will just snap up the bargains as soon as prices begin flatten.

You must be a very fat bear by now RB!

Edited by Pent Up

Can you get on the line to Merv and see if he can trash the pound some more.

I think people from South East Asia have been buying more property in London than people from South East England so this is important. Get onto it.

Sterling is soaring on the back of the GDP data and now house price gloom. The market has gone full bore contrarian or the fools are expecting Merv to hike which will make matters even worse for GDP (exports will be crippled and so will everyone else).

1 GBP 1.59164

Much to do with US weak dollar policy I know. They are more realistic as to the gravity of the problem over there and the lucky sods are already into the second leg of their HPC whereas we are just re-starting the first..

The Western Mail has this headline today which is the first time I can recall them not trying, IMPO, to twist negative house price news positive.

House prices fall for seventh month

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/uk-news/2011/01/27/house-prices-fall-for-seventh-month-91466-28065004/

I obviously have not woken up yet.

The Western Mail has this headline today which is the first time I can recall them not trying, IMPO, to twist negative house price news positive.

House prices fall for seventh month

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/uk-news/2011/01/27/house-prices-fall-for-seventh-month-91466-28065004/

I obviously have not woken up yet.

you aint, you are dreaming MT it says houses prices up by 25% YOY forever, i am going back to sleep

Sky News reporting this now. They have Ed Stansfield from Capital Economics on predicting a 10% fall this year.... "house price expectations have turned".

Sky's reporter thinks that a 10% fall is highly unlikely as people don't need to sell for less than they think their house is worth.... "they can just keep servicing the mortgage" :rolleyes:.

You should move to the prosperous and HPC immune SE just east of Brighton where prices can't drop---down 10% in January alone! I am tracking a number of properties in the £250 range and Zoopla reveals the wonderful truth of what is happening in the REAL marketplace.

I can only report what I see in my area and we're nowhere near seeing meaningful price reductions on the few properties for sale.

Vendors still firmly in denial, holding out for asking prices IN EXCESS of 2007 prices, in some cases.

And all it takes is for one or two cash rich fools to come and buy one of these properties to start a chain reaction of 'positive' sentiment from EAs and other vendors... 'well, if so-and-so's sold for 600K maybe we should try 650k as ours has a south facing garden...etc...'

It's truly astounding here and I pray for a turnaround soon as my rent has gone up and we need more space. Rent again? Possibly. But what an upheaval...

and a lack of demand for housing," said Donnell

But I thought we had a shortage? In which case, how can there be a lack of demand? Unless they are finally realising what has been said on here for years, that demand also includes the affordability as well.

£250? I'd consider buying again at that price too, only consider mind, not sure if they could drop even more though!