House Price Crash Forum
JonoP

Get A Grip And Stop Whinning

A lot of the regulars on this forum are pathetic.

I read it with interest, but the resentment, bitterness, naivety and childishness of many of the regular posters beggars belief.

Take for example that last post re Landlord Trader. Two people have told her to F*ck off. Is that not pathetic considering you are all happy to post on C4, singing pig etc? This is an open forum, she is entitled to post.

A few points

1) I am a property bear. I agree that houses are overvalued. I could buy a house today (I am an FTB) but I suspect I will get one cheaper if I wait.

2) There will not be a CRASH - by which I mean prices going down in a short timeframe. There will be a long, gradual slow decline. People hoping for a sudden, dramatic crash need to get real.

3) A lot of you are bitter because you could have bought a house a few years ago and did not because you though they would go down. It was a bad decision. Live with it. I am.

4) You are not entitled to a house a 3.5 X salary. It would be nice, but it is not your right.

5) People in poorly paid jobs will probably not be able to afford a house. This has always been the case. When I worked in a call centre, I could not afford a house. This was in 1996.

6) Landlords are not evil. All the whiners on this forum would jump at the chance to own a house they could lease out. The fact is you cannot afford it and you are bitter.

7) STRs are not evil. They took a gamble. I know a guys who STRd in 2000. Bad gamble. Not everyone wins.....

8) A lot of people appear to have little expercience of life. i guess you are students or recent graduates. You will probably learn over time.

9) Finally, if you want to do something about it VOTE. The fact is that politicians create economic policies that favour the older generation. This is because it is the older generatons that that can be bothered to vote. If we want policies that help us as youngsters, we need to do something about it politically.

It was hardly a post, more of a shout-them-down advertisement and as such made me angry and (i feel) warranted a childish response.

This is an 'open forum' and as such I feel I have the right to abuse someone who looks like a troll - nay worse - a troll on a marketting mission.

9) Finally, if you want to do something about it VOTE. The fact is that politicians create economic policies that favour the older generation. This is because it is the older generatons that that can be bothered to vote. If we want policies that help us as youngsters, we need to do something about it politically.

Who for this lot or the other bunch of losers?

I read it with interest, but the resentment, bitterness, naivety and childishness of many of the regular posters beggars belief.

Take for example that last post re Landlord Trader. Two people have told her to F*ck off. Is that not pathetic considering you are all happy to post on C4, singing pig etc? This is an open forum, she is entitled to post.

A few points

1) I am a property bear. I agree that houses are overvalued. I could buy a house today (I am an FTB) but I suspect I will get one cheaper if I wait.

2) There will not be a CRASH - by which I mean prices going down in a short timeframe. There will be a long, gradual slow decline. People hoping for a sudden, dramatic crash need to get real.

3) A lot of you are bitter because you could have bought a house a few years ago and did not because you though they would go down. It was a bad decision. Live with it. I am.

4) You are not entitled to a house a 3.5 X salary. It would be nice, but it is not your right.

5) People in poorly paid jobs will probably not be able to afford a house. This has always been the case. When I worked in a call centre, I could not afford a house. This was in 1996.

6)  Landlords are not evil. All the whiners on this forum would jump at the chance to own a house they could lease out. The fact is you cannot afford it and you are bitter.

7) STRs are not evil. They took a gamble. I know a guys who STRd in 2000. Bad gamble. Not everyone wins.....

8) A lot of people appear to have little expercience of life. i guess you are students or recent graduates. You will probably learn over time.

Right, i was the person who told 'it' to f*ck off and you think i was being pathetic?

Firstly a forum rule if you care to read them.

No business offers or advertising of any kind.

Secondly there are naive people here who tend to follow the boards and take things at face value, you want these people to be suckerd into this?

It was a sniper advert.

Let me clarify things just for you because you've clearly not read any previous posts of mine if you think i am

a) resentful - not a chance, i do my own thing, other people do theirs.

B) bitter - no, once again read through my posts you will see that i rely on my own actions and take responsibility for them

c) naive - thats a matter of opinion but i think i am more informed than alot of other people.

d) childish - again a matter of opinion, though i do have a sense of humour and i can seem quite immature at times to people that are stuck up there own a*se. Again if you read through my posts you will see that when it calls for it i can be quite mature by anyones standards.

I agree with most of your numberd points although i would suggest you don't state them so adamantly as if they were fact.

Pond,

Put your crappy adverts somewhere else. Are you really that thick skinned to think that it was appropriate to place a blatant advert for your site on this board?

Go and pay for it or get some journalist to write a piece for you.

Edited by OnlyMe

As I understand it, it is specifically against the rules of this website to make commercial postings such as the landlordtrader post.

This newbie made zero attempt at adding to the debate here and just advertised her site.

She took a liberty... and shouldn't really expect a better response in my opinion.

Landlordtrader

Suspicions confirmed:

1. E14 "the docklands" has more empty rental flats than sands of grain on the earth. Investors for BTL needing positive cash flow (which you should) best avoid.

Landlordtrader seems to contain some very bearish views. ;)

I agree with you entirely, there are some real saddos on here, they know who they are.  They have said some pretty nasty and rude stuff, but still  the logical ones amongst us should not waver from telling the truth and showing things like they are.  They can insult as much as they like, the more they do so, the more facts I will throgh at them  :lol:

:rolleyes:

A few points

6)  Landlords are not evil. All the whiners on this forum would jump at the chance to own a house they could lease out. The fact is you cannot afford it and you are bitter.

I have to say I largely agree with all of Pond's points (although the poster should not have used the Forum to advertise her business!)

I'm a Bear, but I get very upset, for example, when some of the younger posters blame their "plight" on my generation (I'm 51) or tell me I had it easy (I didn't - I struggled to buy my first house in 1975)

Well said, Pond

A few points

Nobody says you have to come on the site at all. I guess your takes on the prospects are as good as anyone else's though. The last slide in prices took about as long to go down as it had to rise. Probably we will see a similar symmetry in this case too, unless the dollar goes to pot, in which case all bets are off.

I'll nail my prediction to the mast at 40-50% fall over the next five years.

I have to say I largely agree with all of Pond's points (although the poster should not have used the Forum to advertise her business!)

I'm a Bear, but I get very upset, for example, when some of the younger posters blame their "plight" on my generation (I'm 51) or tell me I had it easy (I didn't - I struggled to buy my first house in 1975)

Well said, Pond

CO, that hardly qualifies his/her post.

Now i take slight offence to this (as much as i can do from a internet forum :) )

When it ever gets mentioned that its the older generation that has 'robbed' my generation i am always offering a counter argument to that sentiment. Infact you will not find a single post of mine that ever blames it on 'your' generation but you will find many of my posts where ive said to people of 'my' generation that it is not 'your' generations fault. I've even go far as to give examples of how 'your' generation probably didnt have it easy because of other factors.

I can see how you would get annoyed at younger people basically blaiming it on you, but not all younger people do and since he used my post as an example to justify his post you saying that comes back on me.

CO, that hardly qualifies his/her post.

Now i take slight offence to this (as much as i can do from a internet forum  :) )

When it ever gets mentioned that its the older generation that has 'robbed' my generation i am always offering a counter argument to that sentiment. Infact you will not find a single post of mine that ever blames it on 'your' generation but you will find many of my posts where ive said to people of 'my' generation that it is not 'your' generations fault. I've even go far as to give examples of how 'your' generation probably didnt have it easy because of other factors.

I can see how you would get annoyed at younger people basically blaiming it on you, but not all younger people do and since he used my post as an example to justify his post you saying that comes back on me.

I did say SOME youngsters.

I well recognise you are not one of these, Chuz. :)

A few points

Judging by the price reductions so far this year, I have to agree.

A crash is defined as 1% per month, with an average of 10% drops in advertised prices (more in other areas and less in some) we are much closer to a crash than stagnation.

I'm not bitter about house prices as luckily I already own a place, but I do realise they are at least 40% more expensive than they should be.

History shows that the market moves well at 3½ to 4½ times annual salary (which incedently would go with the 40% reduction)

Its moving much slower now, a sign maybe???

That goes without saying, but people earning an average of 27k a year cannot buy the average house, whereas they could before the price hikes.

6) Landlords are not evil. All the whiners on this forum would jump at the chance to own a house they could lease out. The fact is you cannot afford it and you are bitter.

I don't think I'm evil now, but in a year or so I'll be renting my current place out maybe I'll change ;)

Life is a gamble?

And its these people who have been caught up in the 35 years mortgage scams and could be financially ruined when interest rates go up.

I have to agree here, although even a change of political party would have real problems getting the UK economy back on track.

We're right up **** creek without a paddle atm, and frankly all the "Housing Market Recovers" news for the last week just stinks of desperation, exactly the same way it did during the last crash.

Maybe its just speculation on my part, but things are going to be very hard in the next 3 years, house price drops are inevitable and basically we're just starting the downside of the cycle.

This Kate Lambeth or whatever her name is has no class or self respect. There are quite a few posters here who have their own websites, sites which could actually benefit posters, yet these folks never place adverts here, simply because they know it to be against forum rules and, frankly etiquette (An example is consa who runs a similar site, brought to my attention by HPC's webmaster when it was experiencing problems).

If you want to advertise here, PAY for it. Presumably a white hot business model such as Kate whatsname's should be able to to afford a few coppers for promotion, no? If you break forum etiquette, expect to be abused.

She got what she asked for imho.

Edited by Sledgehead

COAB,

You may be miffed, but the facts suggest the young do have a pretty unique set of problems to deal, a lot of them as a result of previous generations' generousness with future generation's money. If you can't stand the heat now then you are going to be very upset later on. I'm on the cusp - so I'm sort of neutral but definitely sway towards the views in the piece below, seems I'm not alone either.

http://boards.fool.co.uk/Message.asp?mid=9538938

A few points

Totally agree with you and well put so many on this forum are bitter due to not already being on the ladder - tough!Also taking it out on others because they can't afford to buy - again tough.The world does not owe them!!!

When they eventually get on the ladder ( depending on when they decide to buy - and get sick of waiting for this "Crash" to come) will their opinion change of home owners ?? Will they buy to Let ??

COAB,

You may be miffed, but the facts suggest the young do have a pretty unique set of problems to deal, a lot of them as a result of previous generations' generousness with future generation's money. If you can't stand the heat now then you are going to be very upset later on. I'm on the cusp - so I'm sort of neutral but definitely sway towards the views in the piece below, seems I'm not alone either.

http://boards.fool.co.uk/Message.asp?mid=9538938

I read a bit of that thread. The thing I don't understand is this: the posters complained that they can't afford a house because of their student loans, low pay etc. So who's buying them then?? Someone sure is, and if they think they're ill-advised to pay that much then what is their beef? It can't just be landlords, that doesn't make sense, since they require the same youngsters to cover their costs through rent, which presumably would also need to be higher than they could afford to pay.

Casual Observer,

This is essentially the problem - a lot of landlords ARE buying at levels that really shouldn't pay and then renting them to these guys who can't afford to buy them for less than they should if they cared about getting a good return on their investment (they are relying on ongoing capital gains or they are "in it for the long term" so they don't seem to mind that the investment is not paying off now).

For example, my rent would yield less than 5% on a similar property (even after allowing a near double digit discount on the current asking prices). With the base rate at 4.5% and all the other assorted costs/risks of being a landlord it makes zero sense... but the prices have been driven to where they are essentially by BTLers who know they will win in the "long term".

I think they are "Greater Fools"... time will tell.

I read a bit of that thread. The thing I don't understand is this: the posters complained that they can't afford a house because of their student loans, low pay etc. So who's buying them then?? Someone sure is, and if they think they're ill-advised to pay that much then what is their beef? It can't just be landlords, that doesn't make sense, since they require the same youngsters to cover their costs through rent, which presumably would also need to be higher than they could afford to pay.

A lot of youngsters are at home, others share renting so that is how there can be an anomaly. As to who is buying good point, because the FTB's are virtually non-existant going from the NAEA stats.

A few points

thats just YOUR opinion. i think they will reduce by half by 2008/9

its our right to await this correction.

then people in poorly paid jobs should go claim benefits and housing benefit. there is no investment to their working massive hours when they could get it for free.

bitter. i hope you enjoy your high street crash/job loss/grandchildrens future.

i have. ive seen ALL BUBBLES pop. not ONE didnt. name one ?

vote for who ? they all play the same tune, but with different instruments. why bother voting at all. tories, new lab, libs. who cares ?

enjoy your housing wealth.

There is no point in voting.

A ) Old people outnumber young people 2:1 in this country. It's obvious which demographic is politically more powerful.

B ) What is the point of voting when this present government got in with only 22% of the popular vote? We don't have democracy in this country, we have a kleptocracy.

Oh, and by the way, I voted in the last election.

I blame the young for their own problems. I bought my house 1975 still living in it. I had to make sacrifices. Two jobs one from 9 to 5 and another lecturing in the evening. I think if young folk want to take any advantage of any house price

crash - remember it is different this time. They need to have a good look in the mirror. I was I could afford to go on a bender every Friday.

These ridiculous and inaccurate generalisations are unsurprising coming from an Enoch Powell-worshipping bigot.

Edited by IPOD

I blame the young for their own problems. I bought my house 1975 still living in it. I had to make sacrifices. Two jobs one from 9 to 5 and another lecturing in the evening. I think if young folk want to take any advantage of any house price

crash - remember it is different this time. They need to have a good look in the mirror. I was I could afford to go on a bender every Friday.

Young folk of today as so irresponsible-serves them right!

Edited by E Powell

Young folk of today as so irresponsible-serves them right!

i dont know ? i bet youve been on quite a few benders in your time.