House Price Crash Forum
moonriver

Bbc1 7.30 Tonight "rip Off Britain"

Might be worth watching tonight,

Sky says tonight is episode 4, and the online TV guide says episode 4 is about housing.

Can't imagine them saying house prices are a rip off though.

http://www.tvguide.co.uk/episodeguide.asp?title=Rip%20Off%20Britain

Season 1 Episode 4

Housing Angela Rippon, Gloria Hunniford and Jennie Bond investigate why some people are paying over the odds for mortgages, and reveal how to change a council tax band.

They don't deserve the loss from the failure of the sale and rent back firm.

Of course, somebody forced them to take out loans and get into so much debt they were in a position to have to consider the sale and rent back.

So this one "Sell and Buy back" company alone goes bust owing 375 households money going into the millions, and the FSA finally decide to regulate them earlier this year. FSA took their time there.

I can't undertand how someone so near to retirement would take such a risk MEW'ing their home.

I wonder how widespread this was amongst older folk, when banks were throwing cheap credit at home owners?

This is a cracker.

Sale and rent back firm offered £230k changed to £145k they refused so hit with £17k fees to force them to accept.

After all their fees and 6 months rent our balance was £0

Oh my god , watched it with mouth wide open !!! I bet she wishes today that somehow they could have come up with the £17k somehow . People whether dumb or not need to be protected from these fu-king scum they make the average BTL landlord look like Mother Theresa .

This is a cracker.

Sale and rent back firm offered £230k changed to £145k they refused so hit with £17k fees to force them to accept.

:o absolutely shocking.

If only the seller had put her house on the open market herself at a reduced price, instead of trusting these companies.

59 lost his job and £34k debt. MEW.

That, and the opening "with average house prices at £225k".. I switched off after the one minute of feckless, maddening stupidity which I suspect pervades the show. For not wanting to see any more of it, ever.

That, and the opening "with average house prices at £225k".. I switched off after the one minute of feckless, maddening stupidity which I suspect pervades the show. For not wanting to see any more of it, ever.

I should have mentioned he had only 3 years left on the mortgage so presumably all the equity MEW'ed away.

£34k debt from the mortgage and a loan. "We would have been OK without the loan"

Typical BBC making people spending above their means look like victims. Debt is good.

I should have mentioned he had only 3 years left on the mortgage so presumably all the equity MEW'ed away.

£34k debt from the mortgage and a loan. "We would have been OK without the loan"

Typical BBC making people spending above their means look like victims. Debt is good.

The fact that this disgraceful MEWing went without saying (was it mentioned after the first minute after which I'd switched off?) and the implied £1million mortgage the 3 remaining years suggested did not come into it - just utter gobshite. I really didn't care about who scammed them after teh point of hearing the introduction and those figures. British Bullshite Corporation.

I felt completely sick about what some of the people let themselves go through. I can't believe they accepted 70% up front then 30% in 10 years time...the company will take the money and go bust I screamed...oh, yeah, that's exactly what they did.

Oh my god , watched it with mouth wide open !!! I bet she wishes today that somehow they could have come up with the £17k somehow . People whether dumb or not need to be protected from these fu-king scum they make the average BTL landlord look like Mother Theresa .

they are protected - its called contract law.

If you make an offer and the offer is accepted that is a contract, you can be held to it.

Thats the trouble with ordinary people living in a £200,000 house (more like £400,000 where I live). Scammers, including government and bankers, will want some or all of it and these ordinary people can not deal with it. Its too much money for most people.

£17k in fees for backing out of the deal? She should have threatened to go to a solicitor.

If I was faced with a charge like that, then I would have said to the company 'see you in court!'.

She said she used a solicitor. Did he discharge his duty of care to her?

In general it was a pretty feeble program with no real substance just one or two sob stories. They completely failed to go into the detail of the transactions. It appears that the victims were scammed and they didn't have the gumption to challenge the sale and rent back companies. If the offers were reduced before the contracts were concluded then the original bargain was rescinded, or a counter offer was made. If that was the case then there is no need to accept the reduced offer surely?

they are protected - its called contract law.

If you make an offer and the offer is accepted that is a contract, you can be held to it.

Does not protect decent people from c--ts in cases like this then . So needs looking at .

That last case was so outrageous it is hard to believe. They should have fought back.

As for the cases where the company went bust, who are they paying rent to after the company has gone bust? If I was not getting my lump sum then I would stop paying the rent. Let whoever sort it out.