House Price Crash Forum
Panda

Wage Inflation In The Private Sector

An anecdotal maybe, but.......

Chatting away today to customers, it seems

Jaguar Cars 4.7% payrise this year

Bentley Motors 4.75% payrise this year

JCB north of 4% payrise this year

Wages may be stated as falling or stagnant. But these companies are clearly selling their products.

Not sure about Airbus, Aston Martin, first tier suppliers.

But payrises in the private sector are clearly matching RPI.

I read in the ST last week about an inflation busting payrise for workers in some UK food manufacturer. Can't remember which company, but the guy who wrote the article said is was down to strike threat and reckoned it was a sign of things to come.

Maybe confined to manufacturing? I'd be surprised if workers outside that area can negotiate anything.

An anecdotal maybe, but.......

Chatting away today to customers, it seems

Jaguar Cars 4.7% payrise this year

Bentley Motors 4.75% payrise this year

JCB north of 4% payrise this year

Wages may be stated as falling or stagnant. But these companies are clearly selling their products.

Not sure about Airbus, Aston Martin, first tier suppliers.

But payrises in the private sector are clearly matching RPI.

Jaguar was a 5% rise in 2010 and RPI + 0.5% or 3% in 2011 whichever is higher (no problem guessing which will be higher)

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/money/article-1326985/Pay-deal-secures-Jaguar-Land-Rover-workers-jobs.html

BT got 9.3% over 3 years but subject to re-negotiation if RPI is more than 3.2% in Nov 2011

http://www.cwu.org/news/archive/cwu-secures-9.3-pay-deal-with-bt.html

http://www.thisissta...l#StartComments

READ THE COMMENTS FROM THE EMPLOYEES..................

Thanks for the link.

I read the comments until I got confused.

The impression is that union members are looking after themselves, and non-members are screaming murder. Is it like private sector average-wage people on this forum bitching about the public sector?

This is almost certainly true because now the times are better workers in the private sector are being rewarded for being so flexible and helpful during the recession with short hours flexible working etc and pay cuts. As I am sure you can remember the public sector was still getting pay increases during that time.

But the Boe will not worry because the public sector is now on a pay freeze for 3 years at least so this will brindg the average down to 2% or so.

and Transport for London: 4.2% plus RPI +0.5% for 2 years...about 17% over 3 years

and CBI survey of company directors...average 55% pay increase in 2010 alone

Governmant and BoE are either lying or deluded if they say there is no upward pressure on wages. In reality it's a mad scramble to get ahead of inflation. Public sector hasn't started kicking off yet, but it will....... I'm guessing as the 2012 Olympics approach the country will be in full speed ahead riot mode unless big pay rises occur for the strong public sector unions (health, police,fire, immigration). Everyone knows that bankers and bosses are engaged in frantic looting of the economy, and are deliberately pushing up inflation in the process. Ordinary folks are terrified of being left behind, and justifiably so. It's a fight for survival.

THE OLYMPICS

You can bet your house if you can afford one that is that STERLING will be strong come the OLYMPICS with all them visitors wanting to buy our pounds, it happens when ever where ever there is a big event.

I am guessing, BoE base rate 5% by the opening ceromeny, Sterling up 30%, wage inflation on the up, cost inflation up and up and up, well thats a guess............

I am guessing, BoE base rate 5% by the opening ceromeny, Sterling up 30%, wage inflation on the up, cost inflation up and up and up, well thats a guess............

If that were to come true foreign money would be pouring in chasing that 5% and we'd have another HPI on our hands.

I don't see it myself.

If nominal wages are on the up in the manufacturing sector then that is counterbalanced by the weak pound. A strong pound is not going to translate into pay rises for manufacturing workers!

Having said that I would expect to see pretty decent private sector wage deals this year, but mainly in industries which serve foreign demand.

I'll go out on a limb now and make a prediction for the end of the year:

1) weak pound

2) maybe one or two quarter point base rate rises which will be likely reversed by the end of the year.

3) nominal wage increases in some manufacturing areas offset by stagnation and falls in other sectors.

4) banker remuneration not only down, but being paid in instruments like cocos is more common. Bank shareholder activism will rise as profits fall due to flat yield curve.

http://www.aronline.co.uk/blogs/tag/jlr/

Jags all around then.....................................................

Automotive News Europe/Reuters, 11th January, 2011

LONDON (Reuters) – Britain and China signed business deals worth around £2.6 billion ($4 billion) on Monday which include increased sales of Jaguar Land Rover (JLR) vehicles to China.

JLR, a unit of Indian group Tata Motors Limited, has committed to sell 40,000 Jaguar and Land Rover vehicles, worth more than £1 billion, in China in 2011. The deals were signed during a visit to Britain by China’s vice premier, Li Keqiang, widely tipped to become the next Chinese premier. Billions of dollars worth of agreements were announced during Li’s visits to Germany and Spain last week.

Edited by Panda

I'm in telecoms, no pay rise this year :(

Last payrise was 2% in Mar-10, next payrise will be Apr-12. Real wages in my industry are tanking :(:(:(

telecoms had a good run tho didn't they?

As a note from the other side of the coin, Jaguar Land Rover are about the worst payers in the country when it comes to contract engineering. Current rates that I got in my inbox today are less than I was earning in 1995! Even where I am working at the moment the rates are less than I was earning in 1997 if you take into account inflation since then, and the boss has already had to let people leave when they've found better paying positions because the finance people simply won't allow him to pay anything higher.

The only way I'm better off than ten years ago is by doing far more hours. (most JLR contract positions stipulate 'ONLY' 37.5 hours a week!, Last year I averaged nearly 54 hours a week for all 52 weeks)

Another worrying rumour is that Ford, in all their mighty wisdom, are trying to cap the amount their suppliers pay there contractors, you pay you're contractors too much, you don't get the job; they don't want their contractors leaving after finding better paid positions at tier one suppliers.

Reminds me of a sneaky (and frankly illegal) practice that used to operate in Detroit. If you left one of the big three, GM ford Chrysler, you couldn't get a job at a supplier for a period of something like 9 months if memory serves, One chap nearly got it in writing from an agency.

As a note from the other side of the coin, Jaguar Land Rover are about the worst payers in the country when it comes to contract engineering. Current rates that I got in my inbox today are less than I was earning in 1995! Even where I am working at the moment the rates are less than I was earning in 1997 if you take into account inflation since then, and the boss has already had to let people leave when they've found better paying positions because the finance people simply won't allow him to pay anything higher.

The only way I'm better off than ten years ago is by doing far more hours. (most JLR contract positions stipulate 'ONLY' 37.5 hours a week!, Last year I averaged nearly 54 hours a week for all 52 weeks)

Another worrying rumour is that Ford, in all their mighty wisdom, are trying to cap the amount their suppliers pay there contractors, you pay you're contractors too much, you don't get the job; they don't want their contractors leaving after finding better paid positions at tier one suppliers.

Reminds me of a sneaky (and frankly illegal) practice that used to operate in Detroit. If you left one of the big three, GM ford Chrysler, you couldn't get a job at a supplier for a period of something like 9 months if memory serves, One chap nearly got it in writing from an agency.

Yep i have to agree, associates of mine, good friends............Contractors for years.

Anecdote, A friend working at Bentley/Rolls in 1999 £28 p/h, same role today £24p/h.

Mate at the Jag, Gaydon, 1998 26p/h today £21p/h

But, Bentley things picking up, Jag cannot get engineers but paying bottom dollar. My old job is paying the same it was in 2001 p/h. But permys are getting 5% rise......But permys are permys, they bend over alot...........................Flexi hours etc.

EP19929 Facilities Engineer - trim & final - Gaydon

Fees per hour £22.67

Original Duration: 35 Weeks

Division: Manufacturing Engineering

Skills Required:

Planning, developing and implementing Trim & Final facility modifications for new model introduction and model year changes. Developing and delivering timing plans in line with manufacturing launch strategies. Supplier selection and vendor management. Understanding of R&M principals. Creating and maintaining detailed cost trackers. Quality Planning and Analysis for Manufacturing Engineer. Involvement in the sections work through development and monitoring of detailed Master Schedules. Manage technical issues and escalate where appropriate. Attend programme meetings at all levels and present where applicable. Support virtual build events raising and championing issues where appropriate. Support physical builds at Assembly Plant locations, raising and managing issues where appropriate.

EP19607 Manufacturing Engineer - Industrial Engineer Capacity & Manpower Planning - Halewood

Fees £21.54 per hour

Original Duration -

66 weeks

Position Description:

Engineer within the Halewood New Model Manpower Planning Team to: Support Major New Model Introduction in setting & validating standard times for assembly work. Creating efficient line balance allocations. Collate assembly shop facility cycle time & capacity statements. Draw up multiple activity charts for manual operations to minimise delays. Lead Minor Model Year Changes. Assess the labour effect of new model changes due to design/specification introduction. Track changes affecting the production team. Provide support & guidance to production team to rebalance lines. Report on the labour effects of minor changes against model lines & liaise with Programme Management Team. Challenge the design intent of product change with respect to "Design for Manufacture".

EP19728 Manufacturing Engineering - Process Engineer - trim and final - Gaydon

Fees per hour £23.58

Original Duration - 9 months

Skills Required:

Advanced Manufacturing Engineering - Trim and Final Process are responsible for the Development and introduction of new and modified processes associated with new model introductions and model year changes. This also includes the development of appropriate jigs, fixtures and tooling.

EP19769 Manufacturing Engineering - Process Engineer

-

Trim & Final - Castle Bromwich

Fees per hour £20.47

Original Duration: 8 Months

Skills Required:

Planning, developing and implementation of all written processes for manufacturing, for new model introduction and model year changes. Build process strategy for manufacturing. Supplier selection and vendor management. Feasibility of all designs to suit manufacturing build requirements. Planning, developing and implementation of all tooling and jigs and fixtures for manufacturing, for new model introduction and model year changes. Process Capability of all processes and equipment, including Dimensional Management applications. Application of Lean Manufacturing and Design principles. Quality Planning and Analysis for Manufacturing. Involvement in the sections work through development and monitoring of timing plans. Ensure team adherence to ISR deliverables. Manage technical issues and escalate where appropriate. Attend programme meetings at all levels and present where applicable. Contribute in the development and submission of departmental responses to APQP, PDL's, Master Schedules, etc Support and lead virtual build events raising and managing issues where appropriate. Support physical builds at Assembly Plant locations, raising and managing issues where appropriate.

EP19814 Manufacturing Engineering - Process Engineer

-trim & final assembly - Solihull

Fees per hour £19.80

Original Duration: 9 Months

Position Description:

Process Engineer, Advanced Manufacturing Engineering

Skills Required:

Carryout process planning responsibilities for New models in line with a GPDS timeframe and Gateway deliverables. Provide Manufacturing feasibility using Virtual and Quality Planning Toolsets. Create automated assembly process sheets. Knowledge and experience of JLR corporate systems. Experience and knowledge of GSPAS, Vis Mock Up, AIM and WERS.

EP19658 Manufacturing Engineering - Joining (welding) Engineer - Halewood

Fees per hour £24.00

Original Duration: 8 Months

Position Description:

Joining (Welding) Engineer

Education Required:

Minimum HNC/HND.

Education Preferred:

Engineering Degree, preferred but not essential

EP19139 Manufacturing Engineering BIW Construction - Whitley

Fees £22.69 per hour

Original Duration: LONG TERM

Position Description:

BIW Construction Manufacturing Engineer

Skills Required:

BIW process

EP19409 Manufacturing Engineering STA / APQP Quality & Launch - Castle Bromwich

Fees per hour £22.69

Original Duration: 12 Months

Position Description:

Supplier Technical Assistance

Skills Required:

Knowledge of APQP/PPAP and 8d Problem solving

EP19437 Manufacturing Engineering Opportunities - Halewood

Fees per hour £22.68 - Improvements to this rate will be considered for the right candidates

Duration: 9 Months in the 1st instance then rolling contract to follow.

Position Description:

Jaguar Land Rover (JLR) have opportunities for high calibre Manufacturing Engineers to join its Advanced Manufacturing Engineering teams, delivering some of the most exciting automotive products in the World.

The positions will be to work within well established Manufacturing Engineering teams responsible for the delivery of Vehicle Programmes and associated Forming and Assembly, Processes, Tooling and Facilities.

Working closely with Product Development Engineers and Full Service Facility and Tooling Suppliers to ensuring that component and whole vehicle designs are in harmony with the requirements of Manufacturing in terms of feasibility, efficiency and ultimate build integrity.

EP19384/5 Manufacturing Engineer BIW Process Engineer L538 Underbody - Halewood

Fees per hour £22.68

Duration: Minimum 9 month contract

Position Description:

Process Engineer L538 Underbody Volume Uplift AME

Skills Required:

CAD, Joining Technology, Automation facilities

EP605 Assembly Process Engineer / Planner - Oxford

Location Oxford

Duration and Fees to be advised

To working on all aspects of product change from single components to new models

Key tasks

Liaising with Munich planning departments on best practice solutions.

Liaising with engineering on product change.

Liaising with production on product change.

Creating specifications and drawings or sketches for :-

assembly jigs

assembly tools

assembly fixtures

assembly equipment.

Liaising with purchase and suppliers to order/install/commission above.

Creating written work instructions for area of responsibility.

EP19100 Manufacturing Launch Engineer - Halewood

Fees £20.66 ph

Original Duration: 37 Weeks

Division: Engineering to Order

Position Description:

ETO Manufacturing Launch Engineer - Halewood - Support the smooth launch of ETO delivered programmes into Halewood Vehicle Operations. Through Support of Plant / Facility readiness / AIMS resolution and build planning. Provide ETO on site support for ongoing issue resolution at halewood operations. Manage Unique build requests through the MP&L / Plant processes.

EP19502 Quality Engineer Body & Trim PVT Engineer (Body Structures) - Solihull

Fees per hour £22.13

Original Duration: 69 Weeks

Division: Body Engineering

Position Description:

Body & Trim Plant Vehicle Team Engineer (Body Structures) Delivery is achieved through managing the VFG and resolve associated failure modes. Resolution of customer concerns as prioritised through the quality operating systems. The VFG leader will be responsible for identifying and implementing containment, root cause and permanent corrective action in conjunction with plant based manufacturing based co-leaders. The VFG Engineer will ensure robust verification and design validation/signoff has been achieved. The VFG leader will be expected to make use of warranty data, PAWS, JD Power, Service and in-plant data to assist in this process. Reporting out to management at PCPA, Plant Quality Reviews and Product Development Quality Reviews & Vehicle Quality Reviews on the resolution of engineering issues.

EP19408 Quality Project Engineer - Improving Design for Manufacture - Gaydon

Fees per hour £22.14

Original Duration: 17 Weeks Likely to Roll On for the right engineer.

Division: Quality

Skills Required:

Failure Mode Avoidance tools and techniques applied to the upfront design. Involvement in creation of Engineering Standards and Design Rules.

EP19362 Quality Improvement Squeak and Rattle (S&R)Team Leader - Castle Bromwich

Fees per hour £25.53

Original Duration: 15 Weeks

Division: Vehicle Engineering Attributes

Position Description:

Squeak and Rattle (S&R) Variability Reduction Team (VRT) Leader covering: Plant based S&R Team Leader - Castle Bromwich or Solihull based. Generation of all S&R metrics and documents. Present the S&R status to the Plant Vehicle Team at the relevant senior reviews. Attend PCPA & DQR meetings, root cause issues and respond. Assess with PCPA & dynamic audit as required, leading root cause investigation of issues. Prepare Evaluation Vehicles. Participate in R202 drives and VET assessment as required. Coordinate update of FEU fleet and response to FMS issues. Work with CoC to monitor build identifying potential S&R issues and recommending solutions. Support solution development with engineering and manufacturing. Support online product coaches with information on S&R build concerns. Raise AIMs from build. Raise AIMs from PCPA & Dynamic Audit. Maintain the S&R internal and external data. Ensure all lessons learnt are captured in the Core Team data base. Support full vehicle post build S&R testing in hydropulse and on S&R test track. Alignment of PCPA & dynamic audit to S&R ratings. Containment plans in place all issues using appropriate documents (RIS, 8D, safe VIN).

EP19549 Quality & Warranty Engineer - Powertrain - Whitley

Fees per hour £20.67

Original Duration: 6 Months

Division: Power/Train

Position Description:

Powertrain Quality & Warranty Engineer investigating current model quality issues

Skills Required:

Competent IT skills especially in the use of MS Excel (eg pivot tables), Access, Powerpoint and Minitab statistical software DMAIC problem solving capability (Green Belt or equivalent as a minimum) Understanding of how to use and interpret statistical analysis techniques ( such as Hypothesis testing and reliability analysis)

You get bombarded with those EPMC emails as well then?

At the moment rumour control has it that there are Catia V5 design jobs at lotus in Norfolk rangine from £30 p/h upto £37 p/h, the top one might be a little more involved than just being a CAD monkey. Tata in Coventry are paying £30 plus as well so rumour has it.

A lot of the jobs I see available seem to vary so much in rate purely because of the agents cut, Incat in the USA were taking upwards of 20% (Charge rate was $65 pay rate was $42) and I think a lot of the agents here seem to be taking an ever larger slice.

Given that a decent permy V5 guy is going to be earning, ball park, £40,000 pa, the contractors are getting stiffed. No holiday pay, no sick pay, and on an hour by hour comparison taking into account no Ni payments for the company on the contractor, we probably work out slightly cheaper with no employment rights at all.

The fragility of the engineering sector was the reason I never bought in the '90s, bad move huh, then again it would only have been repo'd in 2000 when I had to work in a warhouse to make ends meet.

FMCG: pretty shite increases all around, 1.86% this year for me personally. Lucky to get 3%. Definitely no wage inflation. In the good years up to 2008, not that there has ever been boom wages in FMCG as far as I know, you could get 5-12% depending on performance and (flattens out the longer you've been in your role). Oh well.