House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

thombleached

Families Feeling The Squeeze

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-12283947

I work in the building trade and I've not had a pay rise for four years, this will put further pressure on my income, l just despair.

The building trade is at the lowest ebb l have seen in 40 years in the industry and feel and l'm being penalised for the errors by the banks.

When bank managers are paid bonuses it just proves that for some the recession is still a gravy train. It is one rule for them, one rule for us.

The first thing to suffer has been the holiday.

I work a 45 hour week and it's the only real respite I get from work.

Wow 45 hours you say?

I'm sure you havn't milked it during the boom years at all.

I just wish that l had voted Labour and not this farce of a government. Come back Labour all is forgiven.

Oh my.

I am disgusted that the governor can make comments like that. You can't say it's right. It's not.

Do they struggle to put petrol in their cars to get to work? It's costing me up to £30 a week to get six miles to work in my ten-year-old Fiesta.

Do they struggle when doing the weekly shop and calculate every item that goes into the trolley? Mine's £26 more than it used to be.

Do they live from week to week waiting for the next little bit of money to come in to ensure they can pay for their children's school trips and lunches? My daughter is an only child and I work full time so that she can have them.

We're buying her school clothes from supermarkets now and my mum buys her school shoes once a year. I don't know if I could afford them myself.

She had a second hand present this Christmas.

I have worked since I was 16-years-old, I am now 33 and I have no savings. I worry about my future.

We haven't had a holiday in three years, and shop at cheaper shops, we even think twice about having a sandwich and a drink when we're out.

I'm thinking of giving up smoking, it is my only pleasure in the week, to pay for my daughter's after school activities and clubs.

Some mothers do av em

Do they struggle when doing the weekly shop and calculate every item that goes into the trolley?

Does Tony Blair?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-12283947

Wow 45 hours you say?

I'm sure you havn't milked it during the boom years at all.

Oh my.

Some mothers do av em

Buying school clothes from supermarkets? The horror. My mate gets a better deal on ebay, and then recycles them back to ebay.

It's costing me up to £30 a week to get six miles to work in my ten-year-old Fiesta.

ROFL, does that fiesta have a V8 in it or something??

6 miles, twice a day, 5 times a week = 6 x 2 x 5 = 60

A litre of petrol = 1.30 = 5.85 a gallon

30 / 5.85 = 5.1 gallons

60 miles / 5.1 gallons = 11.7 mpg!!

This woman is a typical Bull Sh***er that they interview to scare ppl in to thinking we're all doomed!

Don't understand the sarcasm on this thread.

Only a few comments in the link, and I'm not sure they're genuine (perfect syntax, grammar, spellloing). But seems to be a decent sample of what ordinary people are experiencing - I see it every day.

Perversely, those attitudes vindicate the BoE's approach - people are averse to debt and spending, which leads to genuine deflation, therefore stimulate inflation expectation. Problem solved. Hehe!

Don't understand the sarcasm on this thread.

Only a few comments in the link, and I'm not sure they're genuine (perfect syntax, grammar, spellloing). But seems to be a decent sample of what ordinary people are experiencing - I see it every day.

Perversely, those attitudes vindicate the BoE's approach - people are averse to debt and spending, which leads to genuine deflation, therefore stimulate inflation expectation. Problem solved. Hehe!

Well for starters, if I was struggling to feed and clothe my children I'd have knocked the ciggies on the head some time ago.

I'm not too sure about the humour in that one. Many people are heading back to 2005 wages (if they still have a job) but paying 2011 prices (at least 25% higher) at the supermarket, service station, ticket machine, tax office etc. Much of the spending in 2005 was on credit, but this has now dried up so spending might end up back at 1999 nominal levels but with 2011 prices. We are in a depression, and could well see a drop in GDP of 20%+ over the next 5 years.

I'm not too sure about the humour in that one. Many people are heading back to 2005 wages (if they still have a job) but paying 2011 prices (at least 25% higher) at the supermarket, service station, ticket machine, tax office etc. Much of the spending in 2005 was on credit, but this has now dried up so spending might end up back at 1999 nominal levels but with 2011 prices. We are in a depression, and could well see a drop in GDP of 20%+ over the next 5 years.

This whole problem has been caused by people earning 2001 wages but paying 2007 house prices through debt. That was some serious inflation (in property and shares) too. And almost everyone - government, banks, regulators, the people themselves, thought that was good and the route to economic paradise rather than the obvious journey to a cliff-edge that we've had.

That figure is reasonable, don't forget the eingine will be on the warm up cycle during the journey and rush hour traffic really eats into your MPG, I travel eight miles to work and sometimes it takes an hour....

30 / 5.85 = 5.1 gallons

This woman is a typical Bull Sh***er that they interview to scare ppl in to thinking we're all doomed!

That figure is reasonable, don't forget the eingine will be on the warm up cycle during the journey and rush hour traffic really eats into your MPG, I travel eight miles to work and sometimes it takes an hour....

Get a bike!

30 / 5.85 = 5.1 gallons

For a crowded stop-start commute from cold, that sort of mpg is not unusual. It's a very good argument got getting an electric car as a second car.

30 / 5.85 = 5.1 gallons

£15 petrol - £15 heat magazine, fags, coke and some other sh!te.....

Would like to cycle but a massive hill and two stretches of 60 MPH road, known for their serious accidents have put me off...

I think he meant a real bike.

wheely2.jpg

That should reduce your commute time. And if you do it right, you don't have to change the front tyre often. :lol:

That figure is ********, I commute a similar distance and even with the current prices spend about £40 a month on fuel she has either a very heavy right foot or is elaborating her situation somewhat. Though no doubt they are a brainwashed labour voter who thinks that somehow Cameron getting in power is affecting her fuel consumption more than it would have been had Labour still been in power

That figure is ********, I commute a similar distance and even with the current prices spend about £40 a month on fuel she has either a very heavy right foot or is elaborating her situation somewhat. Though no doubt they are a brainwashed labour voter who thinks that somehow Cameron getting in power is affecting her fuel consumption more than it would have been had Labour still been in power

She's probably driving back home again for lunch thus she's doubling her mileage. Might be an idea for her to make sandwiches in the morning and take them to work rather than driving home to make them.

She's probably driving back home again for lunch thus she's doubling her mileage. Might be an idea for her to make sandwiches in the morning and take them to work rather than driving home to make them.

If she is fat and weighs, say 100kg, and the car only weighs 800kg, then perhaps losing 30kg would help the fuel consumption too. B) Skipping lunch would be financially beneficial but unlikely to be healthy.