House Price Crash Forum

Landlords Aren't All Bad

KerPlunk

HOLA441
HOLA442
HOLA443
“No, I was quite upset when he died. It cost me £3,000 to clear the place up, because there was blood all over the walls. And do you know, I didn’t get any money back from the insurance. There is a clause saying if the damage is self-inflicted you don’t get any money back.”

That just cracked me up. :lol:

HOLA444
Why do you claim the landlord is a nightmare?

Surely it's the tenants. Drugged, murdering lowlife scum.

Mmm

Desirable qualities in a landlord

Deceitfulness

Banks were wary of developers, so I pretended I was buying it for my aged mother

Tight-fistedness

I did the bare minimum: cord carpets, magnolia paint

Lack of Commitment

I decided to sell two of my houses, the two in worst repair

Need I go on :P

HOLA445
HOLA446

One of the houses in the next street to me had tenants in it. Apparently they never paid any rent after the first month. Because the landlord was a decent chap he played by the book to get them out.

It took over 6 months.

When the tenants finally left, they took all the kitchen cupboards, they cut (and stole) the radiators from the walls with bolt croppers (flooded the place with radiator water) they trashed the boiler, broke all the doors, broke all the windows, ripped the carpets and basically stole anything that would fetch money at a car boot sale. (eg electrical fitments, wallsockets etc)

nice...

HOLA447
HOLA448

Slightly off topic but I know a guy who had squatter problems.

Basically, he left his house unoccupied to go and live with his girlfriend about 100 miles away.

He came back months later to find squatters in his house!

Obviously, they ignored his requests to leave.

So instead of contacting the authorities he contacted a mate, who contacted another who basically invited about 30 bikers to have a 'party' in this guy's house.

The squatters left without being 'asked'...

HOLA449
One of the houses in the next street to me had tenants in it. Apparently they never paid any rent after the first month. Because the landlord was a decent chap he played by the book to get them out.

It took over 6 months.

When the tenants finally left, they took all the kitchen cupboards, they cut (and stole) the radiators from the walls with bolt croppers (flooded the place with radiator water) they trashed the boiler, broke all the doors, broke all the windows, ripped the carpets and basically stole anything that would fetch money at a car boot sale. (eg electrical fitments, wallsockets etc)

nice...

Yes that happened with us. We saw a nice house, a bit pricey on the rent, so we put an offer on it but below the market price. They pretended not to be able to contact the landlord and then they said no as they had, they smugly pointed out, got someone on full rent.

Rented to some Romanians. They got one months rent and had to do the place up again. Oh and two to three months void.

So there you have it, get clients who pay on time or go for "full rent".

HOLA4410
Yes that happened with us.  We saw a nice house, a bit pricey on the rent, so we put an offer on it but below the market price.  They pretended not to be able to contact the landlord and then they said no as they had, they smugly pointed out, got someone on full rent.

Rented to some Romanians.  They got one months rent and had to do the place up again. Oh and two to three months void.

So there you have it, get clients who pay on time or go for "full rent".

i am in this siutaion right now. sold my car to a guy who mentioned he had a terrace to rent. i was looking for 2-3 years and didnt like private landlords ect. awaiting crash. seemed like a fair guy. last tennats in for three years.

anyway, he had already listed it with a letting agent, so he thought he could get out. he says he cant. letting agent wants £120 admin. giant deposit and 50pcm more. i refused and said - no thanks. i am pretty safe where i am with an association and secure tenancy.

he didnt come back to me. despite being a quiet ideal long term tennant. he must be believing his letting agent friend when he says he can get a tenant in for more. then raise it every 6 months probably. its empty right now. we'll see.....

i hope he doesnt get a nightmare tenant like the ones above :rolleyes:

btw: his wife had decided on a bright plain CREAM carpet throughout. that wont last two minutes. aside from that it was badly decorated with a pointless knocked through no yard fencing. central downstairs. other than that. clean enough out of a bad bunch.