House Price Crash Forum
Realistbear

94% Of Incapacity Claimants C A N Work

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1350359/Sickness-benefit-scandal-Just-6-incapacity-handout-claimants-work.html

400,000 'were trying it on' to get sickness benefits: 94% of incapacity claimants CAN work
By Gerri "Jerry" Peev
Last updated at 7:45 AM on 26th January 2011
Just 6 per cent of one million claimants who tried to obtain sickness benefit in the last two years of Labour were actually incapable of working, it emerged last night.
Astonishing figures laid bare how 94 per cent of new claimants were either ‘trying it on’ or would be fit enough to work in the near future.
Four in ten – nearly 400,000 – were fit to start work immediately.

Too far gone now--this is institutionalised and would require a police state to break it. The "wealth" generated by HPI covered over the cracks but now that the easy money has gone the true cost will emerge. Time to emigrate?

Of course they can work!

Whatever illness/disease they have then there will be someone with the same illness who does work.

The number of whinging b&stards moaning about they can't work but seem to spend all day on the internet moaning about how the benefits system screws them over is enormous.

I believe the standard applied is that if you can turn over one page of a book or press a button on a telephone keypad then you are judged fit to work.so by this yardstick somebody who has had both legs, one arm and three fingers of the remaining arm amputated would be classed as fit to work.

All we need now is the jobs.

True. But the state inspired parasites contributed to the present dire state of the economy. Brown, above all others, was a job wrecker as he moved us away from real work to HPI and MEW. The jobs went because of it.

The only solution is to allow the house market to collapse and then go German--kill HPI as a business or wealth provider. Tax multiple homes and BTL into the dust and regulate lending so that never again will inflation in a particular sector of the econlomy becomes the engine of "growth."

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1350359/Sickness-benefit-scandal-Just-6-incapacity-handout-claimants-work.html

400,000 'were trying it on' to get sickness benefits: 94% of incapacity claimants CAN work
By Gerri "Jerry" Peev
Last updated at 7:45 AM on 26th January 2011
Just 6 per cent of one million claimants who tried to obtain sickness benefit in the last two years of Labour were actually incapable of working, it emerged last night.
Astonishing figures laid bare how 94 per cent of new claimants were either ‘trying it on’ or would be fit enough to work in the near future.
Four in ten – nearly 400,000 – were fit to start work immediately.

Too far gone now--this is institutionalised and would require a police state to break it. The "wealth" generated by HPI covered over the cracks but now that the easy money has gone the true cost will emerge. Time to emigrate?

Tell me about it. We`ve got a scum family straight out of Shameless, where the father has got a motability scooter and crutches. Whenever i see him in town, i make a point of following him. Every time i wish i had a camera. He doesn`t even bother limping anymore. The crutches ( he has 2) do not even touch the ground, he just carries them. Straight out of scooter and normal walking.It does not do my blood pressure any good at all.

You will find a lot of people claiming incapacity benefit will have been doing so right through Labours 'boom' years where jobs were plentiful. Then again, it is probably Thatchers fault.

:lol: Yes, exactly.

Plenty of fit, able bodied people already sitting around unable to find work.

If I was a cynical old fart, I would say this was an attempt to reduce benefit payments by shuffling people from a higher benefit onto a lower one - but the funny thing is, when they do this, they will increase the official unemployment figures! In 12 months they may be wishing they'd left some on incapacity...

Edited by What's'isname

Tell me about it. We`ve got a scum family straight out of Shameless, where the father has got a motability scooter and crutches. Whenever i see him in town, i make a point of following him. Every time i wish i had a camera. He doesn`t even bother limping anymore. The crutches ( he has 2) do not even touch the ground, he just carries them. Straight out of scooter and normal walking.It does not do my blood pressure any good at all.

Buy a camera and shop him. If the electorate got of their own fat asses and did somethng about it I am sure the government would feel constrained to act--or go.

You will find a lot of people claiming incapacity benefit will have been doing so right through Labours 'boom' years where jobs were plentiful. Then again, it is probably Thatchers fault.

What's wrong with this? The most able/fit/talented get the jobs and the least able/fit/talented get the benefits.Oh hang on,where do bankers fit in there?

Of course they can work, but if they are on incapacity suddenly they don't count as unemployed. That's 940,000 to add to the govts unemployed figures.

Yes, in fact I can remember during the 1980s recession, the JobCentre were actively encouraging people to claim Incapacity Benefit in order to get the unemployment figure down.

Ah I see pronounced fit to work by a private company paid to pass people as fit to work.

Mhm. My friend was amongst them. I may be biased but theres no way on earth she can hold down a job (suffers acute anxiety/depression). They gave her a questionnaire about a year ago. It was horrendous. There was one question in particular:

"Can you go to the shops?"

Shes too honest for her own good, and put yes to this (had to be black and white, yes or no). She lives 2 doors down from a mini sainsburys, and *is* able to go round it, but shops in the centre of town half a mile away are out of the question. They inferred from that one answer that she was capable of travel and independent living and no doubt a full time job too, and it shifted her score magically 1 point below the 10 points required. They were looking for any excuse. No consultation. The people who care for her on a daily basis weren't involved in the process. What a joke. They took away her benefit instantly. Shes only recently had a tribunal hearing (her position fully supported by doctor and mental health workers), and the benefit has now been reinstated. All they achieved was making her condition worse, it has all had a very negative effect on her.

Of course they can work, but if they are on incapacity suddenly they don't count as unemployed. That's 940,000 to add to the govts unemployed figures.

What a ridiculous thing to suggest. I'm sure there are a good number of spongers, but just because you may be fit to work really doesn't mean everyone else is.

Mhm. My friend was amongst them. I may be biased but theres no way on earth she can hold down a job (suffers acute anxiety/depression). They gave her a questionnaire about a year ago. It was horrendous. There was one question in particular:

My questions to her would be:

Is she getting counselling for her depression?

Is she taking the prescribed (if any) meds?

The fact she can go to the shop means she can leave the house and means she can look after herself.

The fact the shop is 2 doors away is irrelevant imo.

The fact she's had her benefit reinstated now reinforces her own beliefs that she's ill.

Yes, in fact I can remember during the 1980s recession, the JobCentre were actively encouraging people to claim Incapacity Benefit in order to get the unemployment figure down.

I know that during the 80's everytime by dad couldn't find work he'd have a bad back and be on incapacity for a few months whilst he "recovered" as soon as he found a job again his back was fine and came off incapacity.

Perhaps it would be easier not to count the unemployed then we wouldn't have to worry about the figures.

And then there's the discrimination against disabled people, the guy next door to us is in a wheel chair, don't like to ask why but he wants to work. The man is 29 years old and other than the job centre guaranteed interview schemes he doesn't get a look in despite being very well educated and qualified.

I'd say to the DM readers that if we suddenly have all these claimants back on the job market with an level playing field it may well be the case that they are better qualified for your job and it'll be you filling out questionnaires for a pathetic £65 a week.

And then there's the discrimination against disabled people, the guy next door to us is in a wheel chair, don't like to ask why but he wants to work. The man is 29 years old and other than the job centre guaranteed interview schemes he doesn't get a look in despite being very well educated and qualified.

I'd say to the DM readers that if we suddenly have all these claimants back on the job market with an level playing field it may well be the case that they are better qualified for your job and it'll be you filling out questionnaires for a pathetic £65 a week.

No problem with that. I have come across, and also employed (in the past) quite a few people with various disabilities. That was for an office-based job, which meant their disadvantages were not evident in that workplace.

I have a lot of respect for someone with a disability whom has the will to go out and fight for a low-ish paid job and do the best to do the job better than a fully -able person. It was a very enlightening experience for some lazy workers in there.

Ah I see pronounced fit to work by a private company paid to pass people as fit to work.

Yep, buried in the article is that in 40% of cases where people have been found fit to work they have had that decision overturned on appeal.

True. But the state inspired parasites contributed to the present dire state of the economy. Brown, above all others, was a job wrecker as he moved us away from real work to HPI and MEW. The jobs went because of it.

The only solution is to allow the house market to collapse and then go German--kill HPI as a business or wealth provider. Tax multiple homes and BTL into the dust and regulate lending so that never again will inflation in a particular sector of the econlomy becomes the engine of "growth."

Excellent!!! I agree with you wholeheartedly. The government needs to cause the housing market to collapse. A home should be a means of shelter alone and no longer an asset for wealth generation.

"Can you go to the shops?"

Shes too honest for her own good, and put yes to this (had to be black and white, yes or no). She lives 2 doors down from a mini sainsburys, and *is* able to go round it, but shops in the centre of town half a mile away are out of the question. They inferred from that one answer that she was capable of travel and independent living and no doubt a full time job too, and it shifted her score magically 1 point below the 10 points required. They were looking for any excuse. No consultation. The people who care for her on a daily basis weren't involved in the process. What a joke. They took away her benefit instantly. Shes only recently had a tribunal hearing (her position fully supported by doctor and mental health workers), and the benefit has now been reinstated. All they achieved was making her condition worse, it has all had a very negative effect on her.

What a ridiculous thing to suggest. I'm sure there are a good number of spongers, but just because you may be fit to work really doesn't mean everyone else is.

It all depends on how you define fit to work. Is Stephen Hawking fit for work? Clearly he can't do 99.9999% of work, but he can clearly work and earn a good living.

Your friend can't leave the house, but if she could work from home would she be able to manage that? If she can is she fit for work?

At what point do you decide people are unfit for work, when they can't do say over 50% of advertised jobs?

Defining fit for work is difficult, but I suspect the clear majority on incapacity benefit are on it because there has been a deliberate policy by successive govts to get people on it so they don't count as "unemployed", the system has been gamed by both sides.