House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Dave Beans

New Vw Able To Do 313 Miles On A Gallon Of Diesel

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-12281238

Not sure if it's just a concept model, or whether it's definitely going into production...

Volkswagen has made a car it says can travel 313 miles on a gallon of diesel, and that emits just 24 grammes of carbon dioxide per kilometre travelled. The XL1, which seats two adults, combines a 0.8 litre two cylinder diesel engine with an electric motor. The car is constructed around a carbon fibre reinforced polymer monocoque to reduce the weight to just 795 kilos.

German rival BMW is also making an electric carbon fibre car, while Mercedes is to make carbon fibre parts. Their efforts show how the motor industry is increasingly working to improve aerodynamics and reduce weight, in order to supplement improvements in cars' engines. On the engine front, electrification is becoming mainstream even though pure electric cars are expected to remain niche products for decades yet. Instead, carmakers are increasingly combining conventional solutions, such as petrol or diesel engines, with battery-powered solutions.

"All sorts of mixes will come to the fore," said Jim O'Donnell, BMW North America's chief executive, in an interview with BBC News. The Volkswagen XL1 is to be formally unveiled at the Qatar motor show on Tuesday night. The carmaker says it can accelerate from nought to 100 kilometres per hour (60 miles per hour) in 11.9 seconds.

Volkswagen-2411111339555111600x1060.jpg

I don't know that I like the close-in-back-wheels look. It has the appears that the car is being sculpted out of a solid block and the back isn't finished yet.

It could be that I'm getting old.

Considering the price of fuel you would hope that these make it to the market soon.

Although is anyone improving the MPG for HGVs?

If these ever become popular, the gov't will have to slap much more tax on diesel to make up the fuel tax shortfall.ph34r.gif

I don't know that I like the close-in-back-wheels look. It has the appears that the car is being sculpted out of a solid block and the back isn't finished yet.

It could be that I'm getting old.

I feel the same, but I suppose it's simply a question of what you're used to. There's probably some aerodynamic advantage in keeping them closed in. For the US market they could do the fronts too, seeing as US cars don't seem designed to go around corners anyway.

The weight at 795 kilos is the interesting bit. Still far to high but a great improvement on what is in the showrooms now. Somehow though I cant see carbon fibre being used in a mass market car. As well as expensive raw material a helluva low slower to produce than metal.

Well an all electric car will do an infinite amount of miles per gallon and emit zero CO2.

How much of that quoted figure is made up from the leccy and how much does it cost to charge it if any ?

Zero CO2 if you charge it from renewable sources, yes.

VAG have made some good progress with the diesel technology imo and glad to see they go with diesel & eletric instead of petrol electric becuase you get about 30% more mpg out of diesel.

Yeah. My 1.6 ton Audi is propelled by a 1998 V6 2.5 diesel engine. 12 years on it does 44mpg at 70mph, 600+ miles to the tank - I expect they have improved much. But are they as good as BMW engines?

You could probably create diesel from renewable electricity, water, and getting CO2 out of the air too if you tried hard enough (which is agreeing with your point after a fashion - you need to look at where the power is coming from, and not just ignore it because it might be shifted to somewhere else). The downside is that it would probably take a month or two to produce enough to go ten miles.

IMO no renewable source of power is C02 zero.

How do the workers get there ? How did the machinery get produced ? How did it get transported ? How does the maintenance take place ?

If not of that involves anything that emits C02 then fine. However I don't think even one thing in the World ever has so far.

Anyway efficiency is all good. In whatever form it takes. Wind, engine, diesel.

IMO no renewable source of power is C02 zero.

How do the workers get there ? How did the machinery get produced ? How did it get transported ? How does the maintenance take place ?

If not of that involves anything that emits C02 then fine. However I don't think even one thing in the World ever has so far.

Anyway efficiency is all good. In whatever form it takes. Wind, engine, diesel.

...and how much CO2 goes into the extraction of raw materials? The manufacture process, etc..?

And in other news, no one cares.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-12147304

"So, after a sharp fall in 4x4 sales two years ago, last year saw light truck sales jump 18%, by far outpacing the 5% rise in passenger car sales"

"I get about 12 miles to the gallon in this one," Mr Evans says

With a suggestion that it's partially to do with dealing with snow there? Give me a small car with chains over a 4x4 without any day unless it's deep enough for clearence to be an issue - and then I'd be much happier with chains on the 4x4.

With a suggestion that it's partially to do with dealing with snow there? Give me a small car with chains over a 4x4 without any day unless it's deep enough for clearence to be an issue - and then I'd be much happier with chains on the 4x4.

Yeah, I was trolling slightly but its Detroit motor show time, so most of this is just rehashed press release material,

Just wanted to highlight the difference between the we can run forever on a gallon and REALLY BIG TRUCKS marketing.

...and how much CO2 goes into the extraction of raw materials? The manufacture process, etc..?

Yep all manner of things. Gonna be some time before anything is really 'carbon neutral'.

They walk to work and plant new trees on the way.

Buckers

You should work for some Government think tank. Good wages I hear. :D

Considering the price of fuel you would hope that these make it to the market soon.

Although is anyone improving the MPG for HGVs?

Imagine though....average car now probably doesnt do much more than 31mpg, this is ten times that, we could afford to drive at £50-60 a gallon!

Depends if its VWs average or euro averages though. If its their own its probably total crap. But personally, ive never had any trouble reaching the euro averages and find them quite representative of real world driving conditions.