House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

okaycuckoo

Best Mobile Office Combination

I'll be doing alot of UK travelling over the next year and want to put together an integrated set that lets me phone and send typed reports over the internet.

At the moment I just have an eee notebook + nokia phone, both fairly old, and whenever I bring them out for a spin it all seems a bit heavy and disjointed.

Thinking of a smartphone with bluetooth keyboard, but I don't know anyone who uses that setup. The keyboard is important - the eee has 90% of full size qwerty, and I wonder if there's a full size, fold up bluetooth keyboard with rechargeable battery.

Also any developments in on-the-road printing? I remember talking to a guy ages ago who imported printers for use in car boots, but no idea if they're worth having.

p.s. I have googled about, but can't find recent user discussions about this on other forums.

Hmm to get the most flexibility IMHO you need a laptop, you could get away with an IPAD but you could ask asking for problems with flexibility

There are some dual core 1.8Ghz 10 inch netbooks out there if you look carefully...... (I have the acer aspire one 1.8Ghz which I upgraded to 2gb of memory, if you want an even faster netbook swap out the hard disk for a solid state disk). They all have bluetooth so you can pair it with a mobile to get internet (be careful about data usage, your contract, and if your phone supports internet sharing). My netbook gives me 9hours of proper use on the battery if I turn the screen down which is amazing for conferences of for long journeys. I have a separate laptop for home and work.

http://www.google.co...3ghz&hl=en&aq=f

Alternatively you could get a laptop with 3g built in it and cut out the need for a bluetooth connection, but I like the long battery life of my netbook

Look for a netbook with a dual core 1.83Ghz N470 processor

As for printing, get a normal printer, (lazer for that professional look, if you get bluetooth or wireless so you can print from the front of the car wirelessly), bolt it to a plank and put it in the boot and power it from an inverter : http://www.amazon.co...r/dp/B000OO9V48 just make sure you have enough Watts to power the printer, and think about having the 240v powerwire running from the front of the car to the boot so you can plug the invertor in just when you need to print.

Another thing you could try is live.com or dropbox, they will allow you to store your files on the internet and access them from any machine as if they are normal docs useful if your going to be creating document on the road and want to access th same docs from a bigger machine when you get home

Hmm to get the most flexibility IMHO you need a laptop, you could get away with an IPAD but you could ask asking for problems with flexibility

There are some dual core 1.8Ghz 10 inch netbooks out there if you look carefully...... (I have the acer aspire one 1.8Ghz which I upgraded to 2gb of memory, if you want an even faster netbook swap out the hard disk for a solid state disk). They all have bluetooth so you can pair it with a mobile to get internet (be careful about data usage, your contract, and if your phone supports internet sharing). My netbook gives me 9hours of proper use on the battery if I turn the screen down which is amazing for conferences of for long journeys. I have a separate laptop for home and work.

Alternatively you could get a laptop with 3g built in it and cut out the need for a bluetooth connection, but I like the long battery life of my netbook

As for printing, get a normal printer, (lazer for that professional look, if you get bluetooth or wireless so you can print from the front of the car wirelessly), bolt it to a plank and put it in the boot and power it from an inverter : http://www.amazon.co...r/dp/B000OO9V48 just make sure you have enough Watts to power the printer, and think about having the 240v powerwire running from the front of the car to the boot so you can plug the invertor in just when you need to print.

Another thing you could try is live.com or dropbox, they will allow you to store your files on the internet and access them from any machine as if they are normal docs useful if your going to be creating document on the road and want to access th same docs from a bigger machine when you get home

Jeez, thanks! Plenty to look into there.

This is pretty close to what I have.

I do have a colour laser multi-function fax/printer (velcro straps glued on the flappy printer bits), thermal label printer and a shredder though so have an additional motorhome type battery. It all adds quite a lot of weight if you're worried about fuel economy. The inverter is a big lump as well and the paper weighs a fair bit too. The printers have custom fit metal brackets bolted to the boot floor.

With laptops I've always had a full size laptop in the boot for using in hotels or when I want to sit somewhere for a long period doing a lot of data entry. I still use a 3G modem dongle with this if I do want internet access but tend not to really use it.

Did try a netbook with bluetooth internet through mobile but it's a pain and bluetooth is slower than USB connectivity. A netbook with a built in modem is faster again than with a USB modem dongle - which is what I had before I upgraded to an ipad which is better still than any netbook option.

I have separate sim card/data connections for phone/laptop/ipad as it's hassle otherwise but, how much you spend depends on how much you use it.