House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Dave Beans

Anyone Experienced "giffgaff"?

Unfortunately, it's not some sworded naughyness...

http://giffgaff.com/

I'm currently with Three, but I've got an old & decrepit phone & i'm just looking for a decent deal (possibly a rolling monthly contract)...I don't want to be locked into a 24 month contract, paying for a vastly over-expensive phone...I'm also hunting about on ebay & wotnot for a half decent phone that's compatible with Spotify...

Unfortunately, it's not some sworded naughyness...

http://giffgaff.com/

I'm currently with Three, but I've got an old & decrepit phone & i'm just looking for a decent deal (possibly a rolling monthly contract)...I don't want to be locked into a 24 month contract, paying for a vastly over-expensive phone...I'm also hunting about on ebay & wotnot for a half decent phone that's compatible with Spotify...

Yeah, I have a GiffGaff SIM. They're O2 network resellers, so ask your mates on O2 what kind of reception they get in your area. If you don't need any hand-holding then they're great: support from the forums works pretty well & the service is cheap enough, plus you go month by month so you can always hop elsewhere if you see a better deal. No complaints from me.

If you want to PM me an address, I'll get them to send you a SIM which will get an extra £5 of credit on it (or just troll ebay for people 'selling' this service :) ). You have to top up to get the credit though.

Yeah, I have a GiffGaff SIM. They're O2 network resellers, so ask your mates on O2 what kind of reception they get in your area. If you don't need any hand-holding then they're great: support from the forums works pretty well & the service is cheap enough, plus you go month by month so you can always hop elsewhere if you see a better deal. No complaints from me.

If you want to PM me an address, I'll get them to send you a SIM which will get an extra £5 of credit on it (or just troll ebay for people 'selling' this service :) ). You have to top up to get the credit though.

I was looking at their £10 goody bag...Is the web "unlimited" bit actually limited to 100mb a day? Still not bad for the price...According to their T&Cs, you can't stream from their PAYG...I've just ordered a SIM, but cheers for the offer... :D

I also want to be flexible on what phone I have...you pay an arm & a leg for one in a locked in contract...

(off to check O2 network coverage in my area)...

I was looking at their £10 goody bag...Is the web "unlimited" bit actually limited to 100mb a day? Still not bad for the price...According to their T&Cs, you can't stream from their PAYG...I've just ordered a SIM, but cheers for the offer... :D

I also want to be flexible on what phone I have...you pay an arm & a leg for one in a locked in contract...

(off to check O2 network coverage in my area)...

I'm on giffgaff too and no problems so far. The web is unlimited. They make a point of unlimited actually meaning unlimited and if they are losing money on a deal they withdraw the bundle rather than change it to the "limited, but it's quite a lot so we'll call it unlimited" typical of other providers. They recently withdrew their unlimited calls offer as some users were racking up 13,000 hours of calls per month.

If anyone wants a fiver bonus when they sign up they can pm me too (I get 500 points which I can hopefully change to credit in the future).

What about international roaming?

I too don't want to be locked in a contract for 6 months let alone 24 months as the mobile phone market is changing so rapidly.

You can pick up HTC desires running Android now for about £100 so something like this for £10 a month or Tesco's deal is the way forward.

When they say it is PAYG does it mean you have to top it up each month or do you set up some kind of direct debit on your bank account?

Can you port your current mobile number?

No, you can find them on various online retailers.

I ain't that impressed with this goody bag thing from giffgaff as they can change the goody bags monthly and the onus is on you to keep checking the offers each month.

They international roaming charges outside of the EU don't look so good either.

Pity.

I don't like their blurb about unlimited internet after 28th February. What if they decide to no longer include it in their goody bags?

Tesco charge £15 a month for unlimited internet, unlimited texts and 500 minutes - anyone know who Tesco uses?

I am on 02 pay as you go. Got it years ago. Very good value and no tie ins. Costs me perhaps £15 per month. Don't use it a huge amount though.

I am on 02 pay as you go. Got it years ago. Very good value and no tie ins. Costs me perhaps £15 per month. Don't use it a huge amount though.

I am paying £35 to t-mobile on a contract that expire about 18 months ago. I want to halve to about £15 for per month on PAYG and then buy my own phone which will be a huge saving.

Contracts now lock you in for too long and getting not state of the art is good enough. I have no interest in chasing the latest £600 HTC or Apple phone now.

Could you link to one or two? The cheapest I can find it is £270

I ain't that impressed with this goody bag thing from giffgaff as they can change the goody bags monthly and the onus is on you to keep checking the offers each month.

They international roaming charges outside of the EU don't look so good either.

Pity.

I don't like their blurb about unlimited internet after 28th February. What if they decide to no longer include it in their goody bags?

Tesco charge £15 a month for unlimited internet, unlimited texts and 500 minutes - anyone know who Tesco uses?

Good thing with their "goodybags" is that it's only month to month (much like Tesco)...If you don't like them, you can move...They seem very competitive when looking against Tesco...GiffGaff & Tesco offer very similar packages for £10 a month...Tesco offer 3 months unlimited web access, although I'm not sure what happens after that, whereas I believe GiffGaff offer unilimited web... I think GiffGaff want to prise ppl from places like Tesco and alike, so I doubt they will worsen their packages, as ppl will vote with their feet... I would only use international now & again..

giffgaff_goodybag.jpg

2734_PM_Uncapped_Table_NEW.jpg

GiffGaff admit that their ten quid package is the most frequently taken out package...Does anyone know which network Tesco piggy back on?

To respond to some points/questions made in this topic:

1) Re:streaming - what do you mean? I thought Youtube was streaming and I watch that on my phone through giffgaff.

2) PAYG is exactly that - no need to commit to a monthly amount. You can buy goody bags that last a month as you want.

3) Internet is currently free to all customers. On the 28th Feb if you do not have an internet goody bag you will then be charged as you use internet. I think it is going to be 20p/MB capped at a max of 50p per day, unless you exceed something like 50MB. Check their website if you need details as my main point was that the relevant goody bags will continue to get free unlimited internet after 28 Feb.

4) You can port your current number with a PAC.

I used to be with O2 but my bill has dropped to around £4 month. I don't make a lot of calls so even when the internet becomes charged, the £10 goody bag will more than cover my usage.

TMT - I'll second the request for links to HTC Desires at £100!

To respond to some points/questions made in this topic:

1) Re:streaming - what do you mean? I thought Youtube was streaming and I watch that on my phone through giffgaff.

2) PAYG is exactly that - no need to commit to a monthly amount. You can buy goody bags that last a month as you want.

3) Internet is currently free to all customers. On the 28th Feb if you do not have an internet goody bag you will then be charged as you use internet. I think it is going to be 20p/MB capped at a max of 50p per day, unless you exceed something like 50MB. Check their website if you need details as my main point was that the relevant goody bags will continue to get free unlimited internet after 28 Feb.

4) You can port your current number with a PAC.

I used to be with O2 but my bill has dropped to around £4 month. I don't make a lot of calls so even when the internet becomes charged, the £10 goody bag will more than cover my usage.

TMT - I'll second the request for links to HTC Desires at £100!

I was rummaging around on their forums, and one post said that you couldn't stream on PAYG (although I can't remember the age of the post)...

Been using GiffGaff for about a year now. Faultless to be honest.

You need to keep on top of what the best deals are. I bought £10 Googybags for a couple of months, and that seemed to entitle me to unlimited data until the end of March...

A couple of months ago I topped up £10 via a normal (non-goodybag) top up and I've only just expired that credit. I am a light user it's fair to say.

Yesterday I topped up for just a fiver. That gave me 100 minutes and 300 texts I think, and of course I still have my unlimited data.

They're cheap, there's no contract, they're backed by O2 and it all just works.

The only reason not to use them might be if you are the sort of person who wants to be able to phone up and get things sorted immediately. Having said that, they respond to emails fast enough.

Overall, and taking the above comment into account, I'd recommend them without hesitation.

What about international roaming?

I too don't want to be locked in a contract for 6 months let alone 24 months as the mobile phone market is changing so rapidly.

You can pick up HTC desires running Android now for about £100 so something like this for £10 a month or Tesco's deal is the way forward.

When they say it is PAYG does it mean you have to top it up each month or do you set up some kind of direct debit on your bank account?

Can you port your current mobile number?

Yeah, I was out of contract with vodaphone for a couple of months but stayed with their £25 tariff while looking for a good smartphone deal. Eventually just went with Tesco rolling monthly £10 VAT included for 500 mins, and have stuck with it.

Guest eight

Ordered a sim from them yesterday, my T-mobile contract ends today and I'm not locking into another contract with free phone upgrade becuase theres nothing really good out there phone wise at the moment (got a HTC Hero with some mods of my own starting with root ;) ) and the T-mobile & Orange aka Everything Everywhere network is very slow for data which is confirmed by Ofcom http://www.chooseisp.co.uk/broadband-guide/news/mobile-broadband-stuck-in-slow-lane.html

Besides when a company gets too big its time to look to smaller keener businesses to keep the competition alive. :D

Edit:

I'm glad you said that. I have a Blackberry of some sort on Orange and the idea of streaming video is, well..... I thought it was a myth, to be honest.

Is it actually possible, given the right phone and network, to stream video on 3G with no stop/start. buffering, blockiness etc.?

eight

Guest eight

I joined T-Mobile a few years back but as they have grown so the service & quality has fallen. I used to be able to download drivers & patches to my phone when I was fixing servers that had no decent landlilne based net access but thats gone out the window now. Going back a few years but I've even used skype on my windows mobile phone to talk to another skype user in Norwich from the middle of Breydon Water thats how good it used to be but T-Mobile have really cut it all back so having Data with them is practically worthless hence the move.

The bully boy behavior from T-Mobile when I cancelled the contract and didnt want a pac code really put their nose out of joint, but its taken 3 months to cancel my contract with T-Mobile! When I found out giffgaff do pac code transfers the other day, I phoned T-Mobile and asked for it, knowing that 29days ago they had told me thats its you wont be able to get your pac code again.

Quelle surprise T-mobile give me my pac code but its costing my 85p to get it! When they asked who I was moving to I told them GiffGaff, runs on the O2 network which is the fastest for data and charges a reasonable amount.

One other thing, when T-Mobile mess up your bill, if you do get to point out the **** up to them and they agree to refund the **** up's like over charging they dont automatically release/payoutany refunds that are under £15 or apply them to next bill unless you call back and chase it. Standard policy to keep as much money in the company as possible so this little trick of not paying out refunds is wrong!

Steer clear of T-Mobile or as they are now known Everything Everywhere.....is [insert your favourite derogatory term here] :D

Yeah, thanks for that. I've had billing problems with Orange - to be precise, repeatedly charging a non direct debit fee of £2.98+VAT a month on a bill paid by direct debit..... then refunding each month (after complaining), only to apply a new charge. Repeat ad nauseum.

I currently have a situation where I can't get rid of BT - despite being out of contract when I left them, they charged me a "Broadband disconnection fee" of £30 on my final bill. Well they can whistle for that, so it looks like an endless round of pathetic "debt collection" letters for me for the next ten years.

I wonder how you would get on invoicing these firms for the time spent sorting out their messes?

eight

Not sure if this has been mentioned yet - but check which provider is underneath the headline seller. My house has little to no O2 / Orange reception, but can receive Vodafone in a few of the rooms - so I'm with them. This does limit your options somewhat, particularly if you don't have a landline.

Tesco use the O2 network.

Anyone on giffgaff able to help me with this?

I joined giffgaff just under a month ago using their basic £10 a month goodybag which gives me 250 minutes, unlimited text and unlimited internet.

As part of the deal, when you join, they throw in £5 top-up credit. I was told that the credit was for when you make calls that are not included in your above goodybag deal.

Anyhow, my month is up in 24 hours and I have 240 minutes of calls left unused. But I just noticed that the £5 top-up credit has gone down to £4.85.

Now, I have not called any O800 numbers or any numbers that charge people. I have not sent texts to any radio or TV stations.

I have basically hardly called anyone, sent only texts to other friend's mobile phones and surfed the internet - all here in the UK.

I know it is only 15p but I just want to know what the 15p charge is for? Anyone have a clue.

I was miffed with my last provider - Vodafone - as when I was on a supposed flat £30 a month deal my bills would often come in between £30 and £35 and they were never clear on what the extra charges were for.

I went with giffgaff because it is supposed to be a simple flat cost but, as I have read onl-ine, mobile phone companies in the UK adding random sums to bills each month is apparently costing UK mobile phone users hundreds of millions.

Has anyone else on giffgaff experienced anything similar?