House Price Crash Forum
D179

House Buying , It's A Pain

So , I have been holding out on an offer on a place for a week or so, didn't get it. to be honest I too am gutted not to get it . The process has reminded me what a pain the system really is. wife blames me, for being to hard ball , the country still believe in bricks and mortar and so next offer she can do the lot pay what she wants and I'll be broke but stress free but at least with less ear ache. the plan now is massive mortgage live it up as ling as I can , enjoy the world have kids so if it all goes wrong I'll get housed by the state. Rant complete and breathe.

we too are also in a similar position. We have made offers and they are as much as we are prepared to go, given what these properties need doing to them. We have made that clear to respective agents.

In over a week now neither property has achieved a sale, (and both have been on market for over 12 months).

We are up against two agents who are holding against us what we sold (a larger property) for back in 2009 and they claim we can afford to offer more .... .

In over a week now neither property has achieved a sale, (and both have been on market for over 12 months).

We are up against two agents who are holding against us what we sold (a larger property) for back in 2009 and they claim we can afford to offer more .... .

Cheeky ******s :blink:

who are holding against us what we sold (a larger property) for back in 2009 and they claim we can afford to offer more .... .

How do they know what you can afford and have they actually said to you, you can afford more?

How do they know what you can afford and have they actually said to you, you can afford more?

How do they know the buyer hasn't had a catastrophic run at the bookies since 2009?

What does it matter if you can afford more? It's only about what you are prepared to pay.

I don't know why people just don't tell agents to stick it when they use these negotiation tactics.

Hold out a bit longer, and when they come to you reduce your offer. That's what I did and it was accepted.

Yeah buying, moving, renting etc is a total nightmare. I always snigger to myself when renters say "I'll just move" - yeah, it's that easy!

About time we had some reform, everything from a graduated stamp duty to a useful HIP (I liked the idea, it's rediculous everyone having to commission their own survey. I wonder if some houses end up getting surveyed many many times before they are sold? That's efficient!).

Best of luck with it all. I'm glad I (hopefully) never have to move again.

Disgusting practice. 'You got out in good time so have enough money to offer the same 'assistance' to these other sellers'.

Like others have said, try to make contact with the seller and tell them what these parasites are saying. no wonder prices defy gravity when you have this behaviour going on.

We went and knocked the door when we were interested in a place recently.

Then we exchanged emails incase I had any more questions.

Then we visited again.

Then we discussed numbers and agreed a price

and only then did we bother to involve an agent.

Cut out the organ grinder and go straight to the sellers. Ask them if you can come and have another look around. Mention the offer you made and ask their thoughts.

At least that way you'll know whether your wasting your time or not

Good luck

we too are also in a similar position. We have made offers and they are as much as we are prepared to go, given what these properties need doing to them. We have made that clear to respective agents.

Sycophantic idiots ... that extra (if any) is as much your retirement fund as anyone who thinks their home is an 'investment for retirement'.

I side with you on this one. Wish I could know which EA chain you were working with so that I could avoid them ... mind: don't tell me because that might be slander (or gossip) or unfair prospective-purchaser-collusion?!?!?

Aidanapword

Found a place we like. On for more than we think its worth. A google search has shown the bloke selling it had it up for the exact same price 2 years ago.

Saw it Saturday and offered 30K below asking (its on for £370K). He won't "accept less than £360K" according to the estate agent..... and "he doesn't have to move".

I give up. :(

Edited by Roseland69

The good news is next time you offer they'll know that the offer isn't going to go up.

Withdraw your bid but post a note through the vendors door saying you had offered X but the agent was asking for more.

we can't contact vendor as property is empty now and had been let for past 18 months so if we do drop note through door we can't guarantee they get it and we would prefer if going direct route to talk to them

I side with you on this one. Wish I could know which EA chain you were working with so that I could avoid them ...

Aidanapword

we have offered on 2 places with different agents. One ha a local old boy who is a one man band independent. The other is a franchised chain with liveried little cars. Think Italian job!!

Yeah buying, moving, renting etc is a total nightmare. I always snigger to myself when renters say "I'll just move" - yeah, it's that easy!

+1 unfortunately

I am in the middle of my 4th move in just over 5 years, all in the same city. Viewings, deposits, reference checks, inventory checks, utilities... What a colossal waste of human effort, and that's before you've put a single possession in a van. I'd stay in one place if I could but it never seems to work out that way.

We went and knocked the door when we were interested in a place recently.

Then we exchanged emails incase I had any more questions.

Then we visited again.

Then we discussed numbers and agreed a price

and only then did we bother to involve an agent.

Cut out the organ grinder and go straight to the sellers. Ask them if you can come and have another look around. Mention the offer you made and ask their thoughts.

At least that way you'll know whether your wasting your time or not

Good luck

Nowadays it is easier to sell privately yet people still use agents mainly because they have cornered the main advertising space (rightmove/primelocation).

If you know the area you want to live and are prepared to do a leaflet drop, it should be possible to find somewhere and not involve an agent. Likewise if others adopt this approach you may find buyers contacting you (we had three last year). Should rightmove/prime location open up to private sellers that would help.

Estate agents have cut commissions, and provide a better service than they did say 10 years ago, but there is still that nagging feeling that they are just not needed these days. Travel agents have disappeared from the high street, and I suspect the future estate agent will be virtual and not have a high street presence.

Nowadays it is easier to sell privately yet people still use agents mainly because they have cornered the main advertising space (rightmove/primelocation).

If you know the area you want to live and are prepared to do a leaflet drop, it should be possible to find somewhere and not involve an agent. Likewise if others adopt this approach you may find buyers contacting you (we had three last year). Should rightmove/prime location open up to private sellers that would help.

Estate agents have cut commissions, and provide a better service than they did say 10 years ago, but there is still that nagging feeling that they are just not needed these days. Travel agents have disappeared from the high street, and I suspect the future estate agent will be virtual and not have a high street presence.

Rightmove was founded by agents so it's unlikely it will ever open up to private vendors and for every vendor that is happy to go it alone or go virtual, there are 50 who like the reassurance of a high street agent.

Rightmove was founded by agents so it's unlikely it will ever open up to private vendors and for every vendor that is happy to go it alone or go virtual, there are 50 who like the reassurance of a high street agent.

Bring on the day when Google, or AN Other, takes Rightmove's mindshare in the market.

Or alternatively, when the prospect of losing its dominance pushes Rightmove to open to private sellers.

The house we like has this on the details:. AGENT's NOTE: Plans have been passed to erect a garage.

The council are unaware of any such planning permission however as we rang them to ask about it. Its good to do a bit of research. ;) Husband ringing the agents now to find out what's going on.

Someone's telling porkies somewhere...

Christ, I hate all of the bull$hit.

Edited by Roseland69

People used to like to go to high street travel agents to book their vacations as well. I suspect that within five years the traditional high street estate agent will be no more. The volumes are lower these days along with the commissions. Many make their money from lettings with sales mostly been a sideline.

Agents don't put up boards to sell houses these days, it is often a marketing exercise, hence numerous boards advertising school fetes. Generally most enquires on property come from email shots/internet. And anyone looking to buy in an area will generally be registered on Rightmove/Primelocation.

Rightmove and Primelocation will open up to private sellers in time, or face eBay style competition. I suspect that a means of selling property privately will soon be widely available on the internet.

Came close to buying myself last year. Eventually got fed up as the agent/seller told too many porkies and dragged the process out over six months. Promised to fix or include things which they ended up "forgetting".

Nearly getting attacked by a gang of thugs on a Saturday afternoon less than 10 yards from the entrance was the final straw (apparently a "nice area with no problems" according to EA & vendor).

Moving to rent is a doddle in comparison.

Edited by greencat

People used to like to go to high street travel agents to book their vacations as well. I suspect that within five years the traditional high street estate agent will be no more.

But who will show viewers round? When I sold my house, the EA showed round tons of people when i was out or at work who i had no time to.

...or at least he said he did!!! :unsure:

But who will show viewers round? When I sold my house, the EA showed round tons of people when i was out or at work who i had no time to.

...or at least he said he did!!! :unsure:

You can. Of course, you may want to place a house with an estate agent so they can show people around. I think that paying 1%+ of your property value for that is extravagant when you can do it yourself. Also most buyers tend to work, so they generally view in the evenings/weekends. These days many estate agents arrange open days so they can have all current buyers show up in one day.

I think estate agents will still exist in some form, especially in the case of absent owners, but they will have less high street presence, and will change their fee structures to reflect the changing market. I suspect some will do little more than take pictures and put them on a website for a minimal fee, whereas others may wish to provide a more comprehensive service.

Nowadays it is easier to find buyers without estate agents. With a good portal, it could be even easier.