House Price Crash Forum

Jekyll And Hyde Estate Agents...?

AskFrank

HOLA441

I just got a call from an Estate Agent who I booked to view a property with months ago (back in the summer), who subsequently told me an hour before we were due to view it, that the property had been sold and they'd known about it for days, and hung up on me mid conversation! Riled me at the time!

Anyway, seems they have some new staff as this Estate Agent was such a nice gentleman ...he just called to see if we were still interested in buying because if we are, he would like to help us. He said he would personally search through their portfolio, and call me back later to arrange some viewings.

I've never had this happen before. I thought you had to pay for people like this!

HOLA442

I just got a call from an Estate Agent who I booked to view a property with months ago (back in the summer), who subsequently told me an hour before we were due to view it, that the property had been sold and they'd known about it for days, and hung up on me mid conversation! Riled me at the time!

Anyway, seems they have some new staff as this Estate Agent was such a nice gentleman ...he just called to see if we were still interested in buying because if we are, he would like to help us. He said he would personally search through their portfolio, and call me back later to arrange some viewings.

I've never had this happen before. I thought you had to pay for people like this!

Smells of desparation.

HOLA443

The stereotype of an EA exists for a good reason, They will generally say and do anything for a sale. You experience in the summer is not surprising, they'll butter you up and be as nice as pie right up until the moment they decide that you're no longer needed. I'm sure there are honest and decent EAs out there, but I've never met one in my twenty years of dealinig with them.

HOLA444

Last week had my first dealings with estate agents for years Even though I said I had cash to spend they were less than keen and out of the 3 not one has called me.

They seemed not to like me because I didn't have anywhere to sell, I didn't want to borrow and I knew the area well. 2 gave me details and in one case I asked to be emailed info but they didn't bother. Suppose I better ask to view a few to prove I'm serious but 85% were rubbish. Gonna get MUG tattoed on my forehead that should help.

HOLA445

We are buyers, with nothing to sell (we sold late 2009 in the then mini-peak) and are now looking in the same town again, but for a smaller property than we had at that time. Two of the agents in the town are really helpful and being proactive to try and canvass and get property on their books - they appreciate our position and ability to purchase/proceed.

Two other agents - both with whom we have made offers are the complete opposite. They are using what we achieved a sale for and type of property we had then as a lever against us to try and get increased offers. . .

HOLA446

We are buyers, with nothing to sell (we sold late 2009 in the then mini-peak) and are now looking in the same town again, but for a smaller property than we had at that time. Two of the agents in the town are really helpful and being proactive to try and canvass and get property on their books - they appreciate our position and ability to purchase/proceed.

Two other agents - both with whom we have made offers are the complete opposite. They are using what we achieved a sale for and type of property we had then as a lever against us to try and get increased offers. . .

An estate agent showed me property details for a hse that was100k under my limit and then quickly picked them up saying that I wouldn't be interested in that. She seemed surprised when I retorted that I didn't have to spend all my money and I would like to have a look. Not a nice hse but they seem very keen on everyone maxing out.

It seems that you are disadvantaged as soon as you tell them your budget.

HOLA447

We tried to view a place to rent last year. EA said they couldn't make the first time we gave them and we needed to call back after the weekend with an alternative. Did that first thing on Monday when the person in charge of renting was back in the office. She rang up an hour or so before the meeting on Tuesday and said she had to cancel it. We rearranged for Thursday, after I had rescheduled a work meeting. This time they didn't cancel so I went to the place and waited outside 15 mins past the appointment time before calling them. They then informed me that they had shown someone round the place on Wednesday who had signed the contract and said they had called me at my work number 15 minutes ago to tell me not to bother coming. Except I had already left by then...

And they wonder why we despise them?

HOLA448

Classic narcissistic estate agent behaviour.

Narcissists don’t show consideration for anyone other than themselves.