House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Rain'ard

Nostalgia Corner

Welcome to Charlie and Foxy’s Nostalgia Corner, well not just Charlie and Foxy, everyone.

joke from Charlie’s and my generation to start you off:

Man in barbers chair: “ I’d like a Tony Curtis please.”

Barber “ You’ll have a Tom Mix and like it, I haven’t been to pictures for ages.”

Don’t blame me

Modified for renamed thread, first few replies, relate to a reference of my user name WMF

Guest Charlie The Tramp

We should have our own little corner in the OTF.

How about Charlie`s and Foxy`s little corner.

We could then bore the youngsters, or maybe it would become a popular thread. :lol:

Good Idea Charlie, but we wouldn’t be boring each though.

405 line VHF television was quite a good era for medium, with short transmission times only the talented made it.

Sylvia Peters, Char, do you remember her? Only saw her head and shoulders a rather lot less than Angela Rippon.

Thanks CTT

Did you used to sing along with the theme tune?

“He wants stuffin’ Muffin the Mule”

This is much easier for me, as I know s** all about predicting the market.

Regards Foxy

Guest rigsby II
405 line VHF television

When I was a kid, our telly had a switch round the back that you had to toggle between 405 and 625 lines.

My Dad made me go around the back and switch it, it used to scare me to death because you could see all the valves glowing and it used to be really hot and smelly.

So come Sunday night when BBC2 came on at 7:30 I used to nip round the back and switch the switch to 625 so we could watch The Black and White Minstrel Show, The High Chaparal and The Smothers Brothers.

Then back to 405 for Doctor Finlays Case Book.

By heck it were grim back then...

Guest Charlie The Tramp

This was my favourite

Journey into Space.

Used to hide under the cushion during the scarey bits

group4.jpg

Two Hundred views becoming popular. :D

Guest Charlie The Tramp

Cannot believe I found this.

Guess whose riding muffin? :lol::lol::blink::o

muffin.gif

Isn’t that On the left David Kossof. He played someone called Lemmy?

And of course a young Charlie the Tramp.

Rigsby’s Tv a few off these were made during the transition period between 404 and 625 lines not many were made.

The innards of the early televisions were dangerous places, because of mains derived eht. There was a step up winding on the transformer for the high voltage required for the CRT.

Poor young Rigs. It sounds like his dad was a bit of a Homer Simpson. Although I think there’s a bit of Homer Simpson in all our Dads

Guest Charlie The Tramp

Now you must have built one of these, the good old crystal set. I remember my Mum not being unable to afford a radio so we built them with a teacher at Primary School.

crysta4.gif

Poor young Rigs. It sounds like his dad was a bit of a Homer Simpson. Although I think there’s a bit of Homer Simpson in all our Dads

I think his Dad was trying to tell him something. :lol:

Guest Charlie The Tramp
Is the hen wooden too (is it a hen?)

Everthing was wooden including the hen, even me. Hey you have me poking my tongue out or is it my imagination. :D

Yes I built one of those, loads of Arial wire. Could only pick up the Light program. Well you would do with a wavelength of nearly a mile.

Giraffe has made a good job of your photo, but watch him he’s trying to trick you into saying something rude.

"but watch him he’s trying to trick you into saying something rude."

I just noticed this. As if I would ever do anyth.. Yeah ok, I can't lie for more than a second, you got me...

Guest Charlie The Tramp

The first edition of the Eagle Comic 1950. 900k print run sold out in two days.

Most children in the 1950s and 1960s were familiar with the Eagle comic, and Dan Dare's conitinuing struggle with the Mekon which was re-enacted daily in school playgrounds.

eagle_first_edition.jpg

Three Hundred and Fifty Four views we are popular Foxy. :)

The first edition of the Eagle Comic 1950. 900k print run sold out in two days.

Most children in the 1950s and 1960s were familiar with the Eagle comic, and Dan Dare's conitinuing struggle with the Mekon which was re-enacted daily in school playgrounds.

eagle_first_edition.jpg

Three Hundred and Fifty Four views we are popular Foxy.  :)

I've got a few of the Dan Dare compilations. They have such excellent futuristic design illustrations & the plots are pretty good, a massive influence on later SF.

Look at the space craft & cityscapes in Futurama for example - see complete 1st episode in RealPlayer here http://www.dan-dare.org/Dan%20FRD/Futurama...Pilot%203000.rm

There was a superb exhibition of Dan Dare toys in Croydon Museum a few years ago & I was amazed at the design, quality and diversity, (can't see many pics of them on the web at present). I sold a a Dare Dare pocket watch a while back I'd had for years.

'Gravity is the enemy of every small boy'

Guest Charlie The Tramp
I've got a few of the Dan Dare compilations. They have such excellent futuristic design illustrations & the plots are pretty good, a massive influence on later SF.

Welcome to Charlie`s and Foxy`s nostalgia corner. I have serious doubts that you are a young un. :rolleyes:

Over Four Hundred Views now. :o

Welcome to Charlie`s and Foxy`s nostalgia corner. I have serious doubts that you are a young un.  :rolleyes:

Well it takes quite a long time to save up for a space ship. They do cost quite a bit... :)

Welcome to Charlie`s and Foxy`s nostalgia corner. I have serious doubts that you are a young un.  :rolleyes:

Over Four Hundred Views now.  :o

Charlie I think we need the Thread title changed to Nostalgia Corner. Got any Idea how you do it?

Over Four Hundred Views now.  :o

Is interest in nostalgia greater when the future looks bleaker I wonder?

Following your example of proudly stating your age Charles, I've just turned 40 & am definately a 1960-80s throwback. While on the nostalgia subject , who is that picture of, on Right freds dead avatar, its torturing me. RFD are you out there to put me out of my misery ?

Pod, I'm still saving & given Nasas recent record I guess its bad taste taste to hope for a crash in that area & I don't have a lot of faith in Branson. ;)