House Price Crash Forum
Realistbear

Hpcers Campaign For Lower Petrol Prices

THis is making the rounds via email and it is a fabulous idea. ZERO inconvenience to the consumer but oh so inconvenient to big oil:

Please see what you think and pass it on if you agree with it
We are hitting £129.9 a litre in some areas now and soon we will be faced with paying £1.50 per litre. So Philip Hollsworth offered this good idea:
This makes MUCH MORE SENSE than the 'don't buy petrol on a certain day campaign' that was going around last April or May! The oil companies just laughed at that because they knew we wouldn't continue to hurt ourselves by refusing to buy petrol. It was more of an inconvenience to us than it was a problem for them. BUT, whoever thought of this idea, has come up with a plan that can really work.
Please read it and join in!
Now that the oil companies and the OPEC nations have conditioned us to think that the cost of a litre is CHEAP, we need to take aggressive action to teach them that BUYERS - not sellers control the market place. With the price of petrol going up more each day, we consumers need to take action. The only way we are going to see the price of petrol come down is if we hit someone in the pocket by not purchasing their petrol! And we can do that WITHOUT hurting ourselves. Here's the idea:
For the rest of this year DON'T purchase ANY petrol from the two biggest oil companies (which now are one) i.e. ESSO and BP
If they are not selling any petrol, they will be inclined to reduce their prices. If they reduce their prices, the other companies will have to follow suit. But to have an impact we need to reach literally millions of Esso and BP petrol buyers. It's really simple to do!!
Now, don't wimp out on me at this point... keep reading and I'll explain how simple it is to reach millions of people!!
I am sending this note to a lot of people. If all of you send it to at least ten more (30 x 10 = 300)....and those 300 send it to at least ten more (300 x 10 = 3,000) ... and so on. By the time the message reaches the sixth generation of people, we will have reached over THREE MILLION consumers! If those three million get excited and pass this on to ten friends each, then 30 million people will have been contacted! If it goes one level further, you guessed it......
THREE HUNDRED MILLION PEOPLE!!!
Again, all YOU have to do is send this to 10 people. That's all (and not buy at ESSO/BP). How long would all that take? If each of us sends this email out to ten more people within one day of receipt, all 300 MILLION people could conceivably be contacted within the next 8 days!!! Acting together we can make a difference. If this makes sense to you, please pass this message on.
PLEASE HOLD OUT UNTIL THEY LOWER THEIR PRICES It's easy to make this happen. Just forward this email, and buy your petrol at Shell,Asda,Tesco, Sainsburys, Morrisons, Jet etc. i.e. Boycott BP and Esso
Edited by Realistbear

THis is making the rounds via email and it is a fabulous idea. ZERO inconvenience to the consumer but oh so inconvenient to big oil:

Where do you think the supermarkets get their oil from? Rendering customers down when their credit cards get declined?

PLEASE HOLD OUT UNTIL THEY LOWER THEIR PRICES It's easy to make this happen. Just forward this email, and buy your petrol at Shell,
Asda,Tesco, Sainsburys, Morrisons,
Jet etc. i.e. Boycott BP and Esso

Make all your GREEN Grocers richer! B)

Most laughable post I've read in a while here.

Why do you assume I as a "HPCer" want lower petrol prices?

I want much HIGHER prices for this gloop that I don't buy anyway. Besides, it raises prices elsewhere in the economy creating inflationary pressure - which in turn leads to pressure to increase interest rates, which is ultimately what I want given its implications for house prices.

This makes MUCH MORE SENSE than the 'don't buy petrol on a certain day campaign' that was going around last April or May! The oil companies just laughed at that because they knew we wouldn't continue to hurt ourselves by refusing to buy petrol. It was more of an inconvenience to us than it was a problem for them. BUT, whoever thought of this idea, has come up etc. i.e. Boycott BP and Esso [/indent]

Since when BP and Esso are the same company?

You will cheaper fuel price or cheap house price? A falling fuel price may trigger BoE deflationary panic and cut rate to 0.1%....

Where does Tesco, Asda etc buys their oil from? Of course it is from the majors and their refinery...

Edited by easybetman

Rubbish, petrol price inflation is wonderful news. I have recently filled my car up with petrol and bought a jerrycan with a special Buy To use Later loan. Its my retirement init.

dont asda get their petrol from esso?

last time i checked the supermarkets dont drill for oil or own any refineries.

this campaign is the equivalent of , "to reduce the price of corn, dont buy any cornflakes from asda"

Some are missing the point.

When a boycott is on it causes supply disruption and causes certain sites to be shut down. Where the grocers get there fuel from makes no difference.

If every BP and Essdo station is boycotted they aint going to be taking any money at those sites. They will have to close their doors. This will not be good for big oil and extremely inconvenient.

People drive too much as it is. Kids can't play in the streets because they are too busy and/or full of parked cars which must not be touched. There is a national obesity epidemic because most people spend all day on their backsides. Public spaces are noisy, smelly and dangerous because of the volume of traffic. Petrol at £10 a litre would be a good thing.

Some are missing the point.

When a boycott is on it causes supply disruption and causes certain sites to be shut down. Where the grocers get there fuel from makes no difference.

If every BP and Essdo station is boycotted they aint going to be taking any money at those sites. They will have to close their doors. This will not be good for big oil and extremely inconvenient.

Again, you don't speak for me. I am investor in "big oil".

I'd like to start a campaign for higher petrol prices with the corresponding reduction in car tax and insurance.

Everyone with a car has to have fuel and those who use roads and pollute most should pay most.

Also the £30 uninsured drivers levy could also be incorporated into pump prices. At least then the uninsured drivers will pay something.

Anyway I won't be buying any petrol, when my tank empties the car is getting scrapped.

People drive too much as it is. Kids can't play in the streets because they are too busy and/or full of parked cars which must not be touched. There is a national obesity epidemic because most people spend all day on their backsides. Public spaces are noisy, smelly and dangerous because of the volume of traffic. Petrol at £10 a litre would be a good thing.

What he said ^

+1

Scrap your car, get a bike and get all your shopping delivered. I've had enough of paying tax, insurance etc. to sit in traffic jams.

+1

Scrap your car, get a bike and get all your shopping delivered. I've had enough of paying tax, insurance etc. to sit in traffic jams.

Hooray! another sensible do-er rather than whiner.

I did just this ^

Rubbish, petrol price inflation is wonderful news. I have recently filled my car up with petrol and bought a jerrycan with a special Buy To use Later loan. Its my retirement init.

Classic!

I don't buy fuel from them anyway. Or anyway else for that matter. I get free petrol as perk from my second job. Everytime the petrol price goes up I get a pay rise :)

Also higher petrol prices are squeezing peoples incomes. Petrol is a necessity and people have to buy it so less income for mortgage repayments. I quite often have a little smile to myself when I pass the petrol station with my full tank and see everyone queuing for their £1.30 a litre petrol.

Edited by Pent Up

+1

I'm all for more expensive petrol through taxation.

Petrol at £10 a litre would be a good thing.

Like heroin addiction, society has to be weaned off petrol. Takes time to re-open village shops, schools, pubs, etc.

The best policy we ever had on the subject was John Major's fuel price escalator, raising the price but giving society time to adjust. If that hadn't been abandoned when faced with a terrorist[1] attack, the country could perhaps be a lot more pleasant by now.

This email looks very like "dump the pump", the campaign that was decisively rejected by the silent majority of motorists a few months before they dropped the idea of a popular campaign and switched to terrorism.

[1] which caused real terror, unlike certain other bogeymen.