House Price Crash Forum
interestrateripoff

Despite Ministers' Vows, Bin Police Are At It Again: Families Are Rationed To 80 Bags Of Rubbish A Year

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1350218/Families-rationed-80-bags-rubbish-year.html

Families face being rationed to 80 bags of rubbish a year.

Households throwing away more waste will have to take it to the tip or buy a limited number of extra bags.

The scheme is already in use with one council, is being introduced by another and is under consideration by up to 180 more.

The quotas are the latest attempt by local authorities to cut down on waste to meet EU targets.

Doretta Cocks, of the Campaign for Weekly Waste Collections, said: ‘This is rationing. Some councils with fortnightly collections and wheelie bins are already doing it by reducing the size of their wheelie bins.

‘They must think we are idiots. How can they claim to be concerned for the environment when they tell people to drive to the local tip?

‘And what do you do if you don’t have a car? Walk?’

The quotas fly in the face of vows from ministers to end such heavyhandedness.

Eric Pickles, Communities and Local Government Secretary, has repeatedly promised an end to fortnightly collections and bin fines.

I think Doretta needs sending to the local re-education camp with thoughts like that. As a family of 6 there is no way we can just have 80 bags, we usually fill 3 small black sacks a week and that's with having a composter, paper bin, and a glass, bottle and can bin, plus our own plastics/metal bin for the stuff that won't go in the council provided bin.

Still at least fining cash stretched councils will help.

, we usually fill 3 small black sacks a week and that's with having a composter, paper bin, and a glass, bottle and can bin, plus our own plastics/metal bin for the stuff that won't go in the council provided bin.

Still at least fining cash stretched councils will help.

Can you have a look in your bin and tell us what's in it?

If they dont take the rubbish away, I am sure that the Great British public will respond by dipping in to their own pockets and disposing of all that rubbish responsibly. We wont have the sort of problems that Naples have experienced.

As a family of 3 1/2 we sometimes manage to fill the dusting but generally it's around half full.

Our recycling box is generally overflowing and I still have to make a few trips a year to the local dump to take the cardboard for recycling.

Amount of rubbish we generated went way down when the nipper came out of nappies.

Don't think we could survive on 80 bin bags a year though.

There is that family in Gloucester who could though http://myzerowaste.com/about/

Andy

Households throwing away more waste will have to take it to the tip or buy a limited number of extra bags.

This annoys me, a granny living in a 1 bed bungalow paying next to no council tax can throw away the same as a 5 bed house paying much more council tax.

Surely the proportionality of the council tax should allow people in larger houses to throw away more stuff, they've paid more to do so.

This annoys me, a granny living in a 1 bed bungalow paying next to no council tax can throw away the same as a 5 bed house paying much more council tax.

Surely the proportionality of the council tax should allow people in larger houses to throw away more stuff, they've paid more to do so.

You could argue a return to poll tax in that case.

Yes, rubbish.

But what is it?

Is it something that can be recycled but your council doesn't?

I know most of ours is snotty tissues, dead chewing gum and bits of wrapping plastic that AFAIK can't be put in the plastic bag recycling at the supermarket.

I'm not convinced snotty tissues shouldn't be put in the paper recycling but haven't yet asked my local recycling team for advice.

I do know that dead rats shouldn't go in the main waste though. Or the food waste.

Maybe we should organise a National "ask your recycling team something stupid" day.

I'm not convinced snotty tissues shouldn't be put in the paper recycling but haven't yet asked my local recycling team for advice.

Eco-caring as I am, I would prefer my newspapers and milk cartons not to have a percentage of Sarah Bell snotty paper tissues in the manufactured mix.

Please don't be offended by this.

(dreams...)

Surely we should all be aiming to throw away less, so that councils have to pay less in landfill tax and we pay less in council tax?

Andy

Eco-caring as I am, I would prefer my newspapers and milk cartons not to have a percentage of Sarah Bell snotty paper tissues in the manufactured mix.

Please don't be offended by this.

I'm not!

Of course the correct eco solution is to get everyone using hankies that can be washed.

The tissues could probably go in with the compost bin though.

You could argue a return to poll tax in that case.

Well, I thought the community charge was a good idea.

One stroke of genius with the community charge was that if you wanted to vote, you had to be registered at an address, so all those people that went off the radar in protest and didn't pay the communith charge couldn't then vote against the Tories.

Edited by exiges

Well, I thought the community charge was a good idea.

One stroke of genius with the community charge was that if you wanted to vote, you had to be registered at an address, so all those people that went off the radar in protest and didn't pay the communith charge couldn't then vote against the Tories.

I did... but I suspect it'd be £1000 each these days rather than £1000 per band a property.

But what is it?

Is it something that can be recycled but your council doesn't?

I know most of ours is snotty tissues, dead chewing gum and bits of wrapping plastic that AFAIK can't be put in the plastic bag recycling at the supermarket.

I do know that dead rats shouldn't go in the main waste though. Or the food waste.

Maybe we should organise a National "ask your recycling team something stupid" day.

It's mostly plastic bags, which food has been wrapped up in, crisp packets, waste cooked food which the kids have left etc... It's all the stuff we have difficulty in recycling. I just wish there was a local place I could recycle all the plastic crap supermarkets love to wrap their food up in.

It's mostly plastic bags, which food has been wrapped up in, crisp packets, waste cooked food which the kids have left etc... It's all the stuff we have difficulty in recycling. I just wish there was a local place I could recycle all the plastic crap supermarkets love to wrap their food up in.

Waste cooked food is easy to deal with,

Get a worm bin AND/OR harrass your council to do a food waste collection.

Or give it the birds they'll eat most things.

We have a food waste collection every week which means the main bins don't smell now cos there's nowt nasty in them. Some people still pay to have their bins washed out though which I think is a horrific waste of money.

Fly tipping ahoy!

Indeed.

I'd be tempted to fill a supermarket carrier bag with rubbish and put it in the nearest public rubbish bin.

Doubtless that's illegal too.

Guest sillybear2

"Shock Revelation: Princess Diana killed by foreign dustbin lorry driven by Prince Philip. Daily Mail and Express to merge, universe to explode".

Indeed.

I'd be tempted to fill a supermarket carrier bag with rubbish and put it in the nearest public rubbish bin.

Only if you leave a letter in it addressed to you. I seem to remember a story about a guy who got some junk mail whilst walking out of the house from the postman, he put it in the public bin outside his house, the nice postman reported him resulting in a fine.

So it is possible to get fined putting rubbish in a public bin.

Indeed.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-487781/Man-fined-75-dumping-rubbish--litter-bin.html

richards1610_468x643.jpg

With ten days to go until his next fortnightly rubbish collection, John Richards wanted to avoid a stink in his kitchen.

So he neatly packaged his food scraps in a carrier bag and deposited it in a public bin.

A few days later a letter arrived announcing he had been fined £75 - for 'mis-using' the bin by putting domestic refuse in it.

Council snoopers traced him after rummaging through the bag's contents, in which they found an envelope addressed to him.

Yesterday 84-year-old Mr Richards, of Boston, Lincolnshire, said: "I've been fined for putting my rubbish in a bin and that's just ludicrous.

"The council told me I was flytipping. But I've never thrown litter in my life.

"Lots of people do what I did. My bin bags are collected fortnightly, and I have only a very small back yard.

"It would be intolerable to keep rotting food waste indoors for a fortnight until the next collection rolls around.

"Mr Richards reluctantly paid the fine after being warned if he did not pay in 14 days the penalty would double and he could face a fine of up to £2,500 if he took the case to court.

The retired journalist added: "The council say that litter is what you carry around with you and that what I put in the bin wasn't litter. But it's a very vague definition."

A Boston Council spokesman said: "Public litter bins are for everyone to use. If one is repeatedly filled by an individual with their domestic waste it creates a problem."

Mr Richards, who runs the Apostrophe Protection Society to promote the correct use of the punctuation mark, was fined days after the council launched a campaign urging members of the public to make more use of litter bins.

Readers of a local newspaper are being asked to identify culprits from CCTV pictures of litterbugs.

Look's like they got him bang to rights'