House Price Crash Forum

Growth Figures To Show Unexpected Slower Growth

Crazy idea but why not reduce the deficit by raising tax?

Rather than slashing spending across the board, so dumping the country into recession?

This is the question you will hear much more of in coming weeks. Ed Balls will have a field day.

It was the property owning middle classes whose avarice created this mess and it should be them who suffer the pain. :D

Crazy indeed, have you heard of the laffer curve?

More tax = government spending. They don't have a good track record of doing this efficiently.

Plus more tax of the average man is clearly going to reduce consumer spending.

• Replies 234
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Crazy indeed, have you heard of the laffer curve?

More tax = government spending. They don't have a good track record of doing this efficiently.

Plus more tax of the average man is clearly going to reduce consumer spending.

of course...thats what a rise in rates is supposed to do.

Tesco are in deep, deep trouble. Keep it under your hat.

I used to like Tesco. However, the stuff they sell has had a massive drop in quality over the past couple of year and the decent stuff they do sell is as expensive as elsewhere.

Would like to know why you think they may be in trouble? My guess is they have overextended themselves. Within 10 miles of where I live there are 3 huge Tesco Extras alongside numerous other supermarkets.

I used to like Tesco. However, the stuff they sell has had a massive drop in quality over the past couple of year and the decent stuff they do sell is as expensive as elsewhere.

Would like to know why you think they may be in trouble? My guess is they have overextended themselves. Within 10 miles of where I live there are 3 huge Tesco Extras alongside numerous other supermarkets.

my sauces told me management are refocusing the stores moving away from food and into a CD/DVD retailer, keep it schtum though

The competition has caught up with Tesco.

On my frequent UK visits, I've noticed that there's now little difference in terms of quality between Tesco/Morrisons/Aldi and the like.

A few, like Waitrose, have taken share from them as shoppers trade up for better quality.

Their expansion policy is slowing. And I'm sure they are sitting on a land bank that is declining in value also?

On my frequent UK visits, I've noticed that there's now little difference in terms of quality between Tesco/Morrisons/Aldi and the like.

A few, like Waitrose, have taken share from them as shoppers trade up for better quality.

Their expansion policy is slowing. And I'm sure they are sitting on a land bank that is declining in value also?

wish theyd come over here, coop and migros are poop

my sauces told me management are refocusing the stores moving away from food and into a CD/DVD retailer, keep it schtum though

They are the UK equivalent of Carrefour, the French giant. The local Carrefour hypermarket near to me has about 70% of it's surface with non-food items. By value, I reckon they have 80%.

I'm sure there are higher margins on far-East tat and electricals than locally farmed food.......... B)

Edited by Agentimmo

Maybe they have more competition than they used to have....more and more supermarkets are being built...people only have so much money to spend on food and can only eat so much...all non food and food can be bought elsewhere...quality is key, better to eat less of what is good for you, stay clear of convenience foods with excess salt, sugar and fat, expensive processed/ready made foods...buy fresh and in season fruit and veg and quality meat and cook healthy meals in bulk and freeze at home...save yourself a fortune and feel far better for it.....then go for a long walk for exercise and fresh air....good for the mind and body. ;)

I would agree with that, I have had some really awful quality stuff from Tesco recently, especially the fruit and veg

Whats the cause though?

I really don't know...

Have a look at the website 'very little helps', seems that all stores accross the country are being operated as if we were in the deepest of recessions. For all their talk of recruiting thousands of staff the've actually cut staff to levels which result in poor customer service....they're killing the golden goose in other words. Maybe they're panicking first?

These growth figures today show how pointless the estimates made by economists are of this sort of thing. It is hard to imagine them being more wrong!

However as the hyperbole builds up in the mainstream media over the figures I notice that some are more calm,thoughtful and analytical,such as notayesmanseconomics blog.

Another potentially ameliorating point is the fact that if we look further back into 2010 we saw “upward surprises” to growth in the second and third quarters. The numbers then were unexpectedly strong being initially reported at 1.2% and 0.8% respectively. I wonder if some of the growth unexpectedly reported then has dropped out of the figures in some way giving us a surprise in the reverse direction........I feel compelled to point out that I have often argued that these numbers can be unreliable and we never actually ever know that they are correct, so a dose of caution is required.

At least he has avoided dashing from euphoria to despair.

UK Competition have got a very long way to catch up ........ tesco saw the saturated uk market yonks ago thats why they are just using uk and its estate as cash cow to fund expansion where there are real growth prospects..........already 4 billion sales South Korea, China 1 billion with massive roll out in pipe line, in fact it will have more floor space in China than UK in 4 years, India, USA, Poland etc etc love or loathe them them they are a smart business whose peers are Carrfour and walmart not Sainsburys.

UK Competition have got a very long way to catch up ........ tesco saw the saturated uk market yonks ago thats why they are just using uk and its estate as cash cow to fund expansion where there are real growth prospects..........already 4 billion sales South Korea, China 1 billion with massive roll out in pipe line, in fact it will have more floor space in China than UK in 4 years, India, USA, Poland etc etc love or loathe them them they are a smart business whose peers are Carrfour and walmart not Sainsburys.

Carrfour....now you are talking a completely different shopping experience. ;)