House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

WageWar

Christian Counsellor Faces Being Struck Off After Trying To Help Change Homosexual

A Christian counsellor has been summoned before a professional conduct panel after trying to help an undercover homosexual journalist who posed as a Christian wanting to change his sexual orientation.

http://www.christiantoday.com/article/christian.counsellor.faces.being.struck.off.after.trying.to.help.change.homosexual/27372.htm

I'm tolerant of both types of people but I can't help feeling uncomfortable that we are now starting to see a very deliberate persecution of religious and conservative people by the secular, atheist left. The intentional use of equalities legislation to target people and force them out of their jobs seems like a pretty nasty thing to do to me. Are we seeing the beginning of a new wave of discrimination and intolerance?

http://www.christiantoday.com/article/christian.counsellor.faces.being.struck.off.after.trying.to.help.change.homosexual/27372.htm

I'm tolerant of both types of people but I can't help feeling uncomfortable that we are now starting to see a very deliberate persecution of religious and conservative people by the secular, atheist left. The intentional use of equalities legislation to target people and force them out of their jobs seems like a pretty nasty thing to do to me. Are we seeing the beginning of a new wave of discrimination and intolerance?

Right, so let me get this straight...an undercover homosexual journalist goes to a Christian counsellor repeatedly claiming to be a Christian who wants to be rid of his homosexuality, and then complains that he has had Christian beliefs rammed down his throat...and the counsellor has to defend herself? What really irritates me is how they dress it up as freedom.

For chrissake!

You are right about Christians (as opposed to religious people...the left doesn't attack other religions) and conservatives being persecuted by the secular left. This p*sses me off and I'm an atheist and not socially conservative w.r.t. people's sexuality. The left tend to be died in the wool statists who want to make it illegal to live your life any other way.

Guest The Relaxation Suite

Many have argued that human beings do not actually make moral progress and that the fundamental values never change. Certainly what you mention above bears close resemblance to various purges in the past, such as Henry VIII's persecution of various religious people for their ideas and so on. The Left will argue that Henry VII was wrong and ignorant and that they have it right, but of course this is nonsense as superficial social values will continue to change and in 500 years' time people will hold entirely different views all over again.

So where does a rightish winger who's gay and can't be bothered with the God Botherers fit in to the 'lefties hate christians' thingy?

The alleged 'counsellor' should be struck off for peddling fairy stories, not science. That she appears to believe you can change someone's sexuality by bashing a bible at them is merely a symptom of that greater professional deception. This woman is a charlatan pure and simple, no different to snake-oil salesmen or show-me-the-greenback-for-the-lord style American preachers.

It never ceases to amaze me how quickly those that believe in an 'almighty' god go paranoid and feel under attack as soon as a few cease to believe the fairy stories.

So will the journalist be summoned before a "professional conduct panel" for lying through his teeth from start to finish?

No they wil get a medal as they have done what they were supposed to do, LIE :o

As posted in another thread, the 1960's film The Battle of Britain had at the end of the synopsis on Sky...some language may offend.

No doubt, this cherished film will be banned soon. so watch it while you can.

So where does a rightish winger who's gay and can't be bothered with the God Botherers fit in to the 'lefties hate christians' thingy?

The alleged 'counsellor' should be struck off for peddling fairy stories, not science. That she appears to believe you can change someone's sexuality by bashing a bible at them is merely a symptom of that greater professional deception. This woman is a charlatan pure and simple, no different to snake-oil salesmen or show-me-the-greenback-for-the-lord style American preachers.

It never ceases to amaze me how quickly those that believe in an 'almighty' god go paranoid and feel under attack as soon as a few cease to believe the fairy stories.

Spot on.

The alleged 'counsellor' should be struck off for peddling fairy stories, not science.

The question is not "how fast would a sphere move in a perfect vacuum?". Rather it is "How should I live my life?". Science cannot answer this question. For it, all ways are living are equivalent. Discriminated only by the outcome, which once again requires a value judgement. If I were to live a little longer by spending the rest of my life in prison, science would say to take it, if quantity of life were the objective. But it is not, quality of life is what matters. If you were to take the quantity theory to heart, then you must also become a coward avoiding all threats to your life. If I am prepared to die for my beliefs and you are not, you will be enslaved. I will not even have to die, because I know you will back down rather than risk the encounter.

There is a popular myth that science is better because anyone can learn it. Yet this is a false statement. Only the brightest amongst us can take part and those only in a narrow field. Everyone else is reduced to hearing the opinions of other men, be they scientists or not. Thus the average man is deciding not on data, but on competing opinions of other men. All of these, be they priests or scientists, say they are correct. The question you face is which group to believe. Arguments that go above my head cannot be used to persuade me and my limited intellect. What I want is rules to live my life by.

Although I don't agree with trying to 'fix' homosexuality, I do think that this whole story stinks of a witch-hunt. This woman is being persecuted for her beliefs because they do not tally with the dogma of the day. If she was employing tree hugging and communing with the forest spirits to promote weight loss, would she have been forced out of a job?

Reel back the years, change the clothes and we've got good old fashioned persecution. And, as usual, the instigators are hypocrites and zealots through and through.

Although I don't agree with trying to 'fix' homosexuality, I do think that this whole story stinks of a witch-hunt. This woman is being persecuted for her beliefs because they do not tally with the dogma of the day. If she was employing tree hugging and communing with the forest spirits to promote weight loss, would she have been forced out of a job?

Reel back the years, change the clothes and we've got good old fashioned persecution. And, as usual, the instigators are hypocrites and zealots through and through.

Believers getting a dose of the medecine they have been dishing out for thousands of years.Not before time IMHO.

Believers getting a dose of the medecine they have been dishing out for thousands of years.Not before time IMHO.

You completely misunderstand the lessons of history. Persecution of 'the other' has been a charactistic of human existence since time began. If you simply label the persecutors as 'Christians' or 'religious people' you are not only misrepresenting history but allowing such stunted thinking to continue.

Jonathon Swift nailed this phenomenon in Gulliver's Travels in 1726. This is not new philosophy but it is still, unfortunately, frequently misunderstood.

question, If being homo sexual is genetic, and this is a sexual predisposition, then why are peadophiles, who have a predisposition for youngsters, just plain criminals and not genetic unfortunates?

question, If being homo sexual is genetic, and this is a sexual predisposition, then why are peadophiles, who have a predisposition for youngsters, just plain criminals and not genetic unfortunates?

Because at the end of the day we're supposed to be intelligent beings who don't have to follow every urge and instinct. Why don't you punch everyone who annoys you and grope every lass that you like the look of? Therefore it's irrelevent. What is relevent is whether or not someone's actions harm or damage someone else. There's a whole range of valid opinions as to where personal freedom vs. what effect that has on others around you, but there's no valid difference of opinion about what people get up to that doesn't affect anyone or anything else.

Because at the end of the day we're supposed to be intelligent beings who don't have to follow every urge and instinct. Why don't you punch everyone who annoys you and grope every lass that you like the look of? Therefore it's irrelevent. What is relevent is whether or not someone's actions harm or damage someone else. There's a whole range of valid opinions as to where personal freedom vs. what effect that has on others around you, but there's no valid difference of opinion about what people get up to that doesn't affect anyone or anything else.

thats a reasonable answer...so maybe trying to treat them is impossible too?..then again some people are just plain violent....they are treated for imbalances and other medical conditions....

So where do you stop? you start with,as you say, those that cause harm, then stop where?...some would say Homosexuality is harmful and certainly sinful.

Indeed, sex offenders treated to threats from the public are taunted as being "sickos" etc etc. But the fact remains that they have these urges...

Is it genetic?

What abour bisexuals, is that genetic, or are they just pain greedy wanting to do it twice a night?

Is it genetic?

What abour bisexuals, is that genetic, or are they just pain greedy wanting to do it twice a night?

I have a colleague who, it appears, likes anything wet and warm...could be apple pie, a lady or a man....insatiable....although being an ugly sod, Gay was favourite for most of the time.

I have a colleague who, it appears, likes anything wet and warm...could be apple pie, a lady or a man....insatiable....although being an ugly sod, Gay was favourite for most of the time.

Yeah I guess its bad news if you cant score in a gay bar, or maybe I am being unfair

Yeah I guess its bad news if you cant score in a gay bar, or maybe I am being unfair

:lol:..funny, but true.

Although I don't approve of what paedos do I do have sympathy for the situation that they find themseleves in.The motivation must be pretty strong if they are prepared to take the risks that they do with the potential to ruin their lives if they get caught.

Although I don't approve of what paedos do I do have sympathy for the situation that they find themseleves in.The motivation must be pretty strong if they are prepared to take the risks that they do with the potential to ruin their lives if they get caught.

Never mind ruining someone elses life

The question is not "how fast would a sphere move in a perfect vacuum?". Rather it is "How should I live my life?". Science cannot answer this question. [snip irrelevant tripe]

There is a popular myth that science is better because anyone can learn it. Yet this is a false statement. Only the brightest amongst us can take part and those only in a narrow field. Everyone else is reduced to hearing the opinions of other men, be they scientists or not. Thus the average man is deciding not on data, but on competing opinions of other men. All of these, be they priests or scientists, say they are correct. The question you face is which group to believe. Arguments that go above my head cannot be used to persuade me and my limited intellect. What I want is rules to live my life by.

"There is a popular myth that science is better because anyone can learn it." - So popular it's a new one on me. Science is better because it deals in observable facts and deduction from reproducible experiment. Though I dare say highfalutin theoretical physicists stray (to my humble intellect) into the realms of opinion and I'll agree with you there, that by no means relegates the whole of science to be equal with the scribblings of ancient goatherds in Palestine. I can only take pity on you that your own sense of your own intellect and common humanity is so low that you require bizarre 'rules' peddled by paedophiles in frocks and allegedly handed down from some great sky fairy to live your life by. Fortunately, in a secular society, we have the law which evolves (does that word set your teeth on edge?) with us as we become more enlightened and set aside childish things (like sky fairies).

If you wish to prostrate yourself before the great sky fairy to get your philosophy of life then that's super. Just don't pretend only the followers of (whichever sky fairy variant) have a monopoly on goodness.

I think most of us can distinguish between the morality of two adult consenting homosexuals and an adult who preys on children