House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

interestrateripoff

'i Wouldn't . . . ': Andy Gray Caught Making New Disparaging And Sexist Remarks About Female Linesman As He's Pulled From Tonight's Big Game

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-1349915/Richard-Keys-Andy-Gray-present-tonights-big-match-Sky.html

They were forced to apologise for making sexist comments about a female linesman on their TV show.

And now Sky Sports hosts Andy Gray and Richard Keys will no longer present tonight's coverage of the Bolton v Chelsea match as the furore surrounding their jibes escalates.

And it looks as if they are getting deeper into the mire as more footage has emerged with Gray commentating on linesman Sian Massey's appearance.

The pair, who are two of football's most high-profile broadcasters were caught joking on Saturday that the female official would need the offside law explaining to her.

They were also recorded ­discussing West Ham United ­executive Karren Brady, the ­Apprentice star known as ‘Football’s First Lady’, in a disparaging manner.

It is not known who will stand in for the pair during tonight's Monday Night Football show on Sky.

It was during off-air remarks in the build-up to Wolverhampton Wanderers’ Premier League game against Liverpool on ­Saturday that the pair were taped questioning whether Sian Massey, an assistant referee, would be able to cope.

Is everyone getting their nickers in a twist over nothing? I mean this wasn't for airing, it was a private chat which got tape recorded by someone possible with a grudge.

You put blokes together a pretty girl or girls walk in and I bet you any money the conversation will immediately turn to lowest common denominator in a very blunt fashion.

Or is the whole Sky TV setup full of sexist pigs who'll belittle women at any and every opportunity? I'm expecting more leaks of tape recorded stuff they've said about women. Clearly someone has it in for them.

I'd be interested to hear what any female readers feel about this.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-1349915/Richard-Keys-Andy-Gray-present-tonights-big-match-Sky.html

Is everyone getting their nickers in a twist over nothing? I mean this wasn't for airing, it was a private chat which got tape recorded by someone possible with a grudge.

You put blokes together a pretty girl or girls walk in and I bet you any money the conversation will immediately turn to lowest common denominator in a very blunt fashion.

Or is the whole Sky TV setup full of sexist pigs who'll belittle women at any and every opportunity? I'm expecting more leaks of tape recorded stuff they've said about women. Clearly someone has it in for them.

I'd be interested to hear what any female readers feel about this.

More 'people actually not the same off camera as on' shocking revelations. Surely we should be over the surprise and faux-indignation now?

Have to agree that most blokes talk about girls in similar manner but as tv ,even moronic football pundits they should know better.

It's not as if women dont play football or any other sports for that matter and only SKY sports could make out that a woman linesman is just unbelievable, who the fack wants to be a linesman anyway? normally men who couldnt play footie themselves.

it seems like hairy hands and gray have got a bit too big for their boots. here's hoping 2 heads roll and the new presenters are women, topless if possible (joke).

More 'people actually not the same off camera as on' shocking revelations. Surely we should be over the surprise and faux-indignation now?

I know - it is amazing. I am sure all female presenters say exactly what is on their mind 100% of the time. Because we all know birds are famous for that sort of thing - arent they...:lol:

You know the most interesting aspect of this for me ? These blokes HAD to say it in private. They knew if it was heard it would create all this sort of nonsense. If we were a bit more open in this society then perhaps us blokes would be allowed to say what we think without fear of being branded all sorts of things ?

I know - crazy idea.

Just turn on Loose woman one day if you want to see how easy birds have it. Sit there and basically abuse blokes as and when they wish. Without even the mildest fear that anyone will be bothered or complain about it. It is open season on blokes 24/7 in this country - and yet nobody seems to have any issue with this massive hypocrisy

Blokes want to do the same as birds do every day ? Well they have to say it in secret - and even then they get 'outed' by someone who sneaks the recording out and gives it to the media.

My solution ? Let everyone pretty much say whatever the ****** they want. I do. Not really caused any great issues so far in my existance.

Women linesman/assistant referee, no place in league football.

Meh. I follow rugby. No fear of female refs or touchjudges - the male versions often get knocked out by rhinocerating south-sea islanders.

Why is celebs having their phones hacked the worst thing since the holocaust but releasing a secretly recorded conversation is fine?

Is it just me failing to see any real difference between the situations?

Why is celebs having their phones hacked the worst thing since the holocaust but releasing a secretly recorded conversation is fine?

The media pick and choose what the public are to be offended by. And most fall for it.

The difference between a private conversation and one which was being recorded in a studio with 2 presenters wearing microphones?

Anyway. Woman don’t know the offside rule, hahahah, that's a funny joke.

It's not 1978. They're not 12 years old.

They're working for a broadcaster trying increase market share. They should have known better.

Sexist or not, they’re clearly idiots.

I see that Sky have releases "additional footage"...I wouldn't be at all surprised that they have a number of enemies within Sky, and are doing whatever they can to get rid of them...

I see that Sky have releases "additional footage"...I wouldn't be at all surprised that they have a number of enemies within Sky, and are doing whatever they can to get rid of them...

Yep it appears that they've upset someone.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-1350265/Andy-Gray-Richard-Keys-sexism-storm-Sian-Massey-party-girl.html

Sky’s decision to introduce the tapes into the public domain raises serious questions about his future at the broadcaster.

The 55-year-old is reputed to earn £1.7million a year for his punditry and along with anchorman Keys has been an integral part of the pay TV station’s coverage of football for nearly two decades.

A Sky insider said bosses had ‘let the dogs off the leash’ to protect the Sky brand.

So to protect the brand Sky are releasing more tapes which where never meant for broadcast. I'd have thought the best way to protect the brand is the presenters apologise and everyone moves on rather than creating a huge media frenzy about it all.

Perhaps Sky's hoping to cut wages?

So to protect the brand Sky are releasing more tapes which where never meant for broadcast. I'd have thought the best way to protect the brand is the presenters apologise and everyone moves on rather than creating a huge media frenzy about it all.

It's Sky; the best defence is a good offense, or something. If they don’t release this, someone else will.

But let's not let the real picture fall out of view here. This is about target audience and marketing. And you're smart enough to know that this has got nothing to do with what people really think, it's television. Television isn't real, it's marketing and advertising.

The biggest market, by far, is Woman; Woman and kids make, what, 80% of all purchasing decisions. Follow the money.

Football is still Male dominated television; do you think that these comments would in anyway help Sky advance football out of its non core market? Or just perpetuate the same tired old image.

Maybe this was just the opportunity someone was looking for to get rid of old duffers and give the place a make over, in pink, with ponies. Or maybe this is damage limitation Sky style.

Dunno, I think there was a female lineswoman at last Saturday's Bristol Rovers game. Shame she was on the otherside of the pitch, but even at a distance I found her quite alluring.

She gave us some good offside decisions that helped us win, so yeah, I'm all for 'em :D

Edit: So, would you? Oh, and ccc, I think there is a massive difference between saying what you think down the pub, and endangering your job because of it. These blokes know they have enemies within their sector, people just waiting to pounce so really, they should have used their noggins a bit more before doing a Brown. People, celebs, politicians, anyone in a position of authority / responsibility should watch what they say in public, and really, in private, in the full knowledge that these days anything you say can be misprinted and misquoted in the MSM before you blink.

These two just seem to be from the classic over-paid, arrogant celeb mould, to be honest. What they said was hardly the crime of the century but neither was it clever nor particularly witty. Yes, as the op pointed out, it's the type of conversation that blokes have about women but the difference is that these types of conversation are generally conducted in private rather than in public. Also, I think that that type of conversation isn't generally in that sort of tone - they both came over as a bit insecure, to me. This wasn't a conversation taking place in a private setting though it was a work setting and in a profession where you are constantly likely to be recorded.

Given that one of these guys also made comments about the woman in an interview earlier in the day, I find it difficult to believe that he thought his mike was off on either ocasion. In the first he knew there was a camera pointing at him so presumably disn't care about what comments he made and has probably done the same on numerous occasions.

They'd have retained a modicum of credibility had they refrained from commenting until such time as she may have got something wrong but from what I hear she did her job perfectly well - not being into football I can't comment though.

Like I say, hardly the crime of the century but not particularly pleasant and when you are earning £1.7m a year in a public position then you can't complain if you are expected to exhibit a very high standard of personal conduct. Me thinks that these two have spent far too much time in the company of professional footballers and their arrogance has rubbed off somewhat.

Dunno, I think there was a female lineswoman at last Saturday's Bristol Rovers game. Shame she was on the otherside of the pitch, but even at a distance I found her quite alluring.

She gave us some good offside decisions that helped us win, so yeah, I'm all for 'em :D

I believe Wendy Toms was the pioneer (as it were) when it came to female officials...she reffed a fair few games in the lower leagues. I saw her a number of times.....there was a bit of banter on the terraces, but she seemed to do her job properly, so know one really cared..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wendy_Toms

I feel sorry for them.. Chelsea stuffed Bolton 4 - 0 :D

They missed a good game and possibly goal of the season. Saying that, I nearly missed it too with the wife distracting me by asking if I wanted another beer.

It`s just a bit of banter ffs. I thought the girl done well but she is going to get some knockers (Excuse the pun) in the same way people rip the piss out of fat linesmen or bald linesmen. What a crap boring world we are allowing the pc brigade to create.

Edit: So, would you? Oh, and ccc, I think there is a massive difference between saying what you think down the pub, and endangering your job because of it. These blokes know they have enemies within their sector, people just waiting to pounce so really, they should have used their noggins a bit more before doing a Brown. People, celebs, politicians, anyone in a position of authority / responsibility should watch what they say in public, and really, in private, in the full knowledge that these days anything you say can be misprinted and misquoted in the MSM before you blink.

I agree they were being a bit dumb. However if we were all on the line for being fired for being a bit dumb ? Most of us would be goosed !! And why can't they just saw what they are thinking ? Even if others don't like it ?

I mean - look at our previous PM. Caught calling someone who simply had a different views to him - a bigot. Did he get called off his job ? Did he get fired ? Nope.

Yet a couple of dumb football pundits may. Total joke.

As I said before - the problem I have with this is these blokes should be allowed to say this stuff in public if they want. Birds are. The fact they have to keep it in secret and hope that nobody hears ? Quite worrying really.

And yes Bosh I agree. A PC World is dull as ******.

I agree they were being a bit dumb. However if we were all on the line for being fired for being a bit dumb ? Most of us would be goosed !! And why can't they just saw what they are thinking ? Even if others don't like it ?

I mean - look at our previous PM. Caught calling someone who simply had a different views to him - a bigot. Did he get called off his job ? Did he get fired ? Nope.

As I said before - the problem I have with this is these blokes should be allowed to say this stuff in public if they want. Birds are. The fact they have to keep it in secret and hope that nobody hears ? Quite worrying really.

And yes Bosh I agree. A PC World is dull as ******.

Yes, a PC World would be dull. Do you think we live in a dull world, or country? I certainly don't think so - there are workarounds.

However, I am indeed in a position of some authority, and considerable responsibility. I would have egg on my face if I were caught making remarks like that on tape. Of course, I may not be fired, but then again I don't get paid millions and work in an industry as egomaniacal as television / sports / journalism, making plenty of enemies along the way.

I disagree that everyone should be able to say what they want. Part of getting along with other people is discretion, and indeed, the occasional white lie. Full truth, and nothing but the truth, is really quite antagonistic towards how humans get along with each other.

If you wish to alter your argument a bit towards the other thread ie Loose Women say what they want, why can't "Loose Men" - then I'd be inclined to agree with you more.

To an extent, I agree. I think they were being more than just a bit dumb because what they said came over as actually sounding offensive, rather than just witty banter. If you want to be witty then take the piss out of someones actual failings, especially if they are major ones. As I say, they came over as sounding rather insecure more than anything else.

As for being fired for being dumb. Horses for courses; what is acceptable in an all male environment amongst people whom it isn't going to go any further may well not be acceptable in a mass media environment where image is all important. These guys are professional celebs on vast pay scales so should realise this.

Who's going to fire him though? Lets face it though, it may well have contributed to Labour failing to win the last election so it probably did have some consequence. Even then, it's not really comparable. I hate taking Brown's side (I'll go and force my self to be sick after I've posted this) but he was only giving his opinion - probably. These to clowns were just out to be offensive without actually having had any experience of the woman concerned. If she'd been a crap oficial and they'd said she was a crap official then they may have been justified in that.

The whole industry is a joke. It's reported that one of these numpties (poosibly both) is getting nearly two million quid a year simply for passing opinion on some other blokes kicking a ball about. If their employer takes the opinion that making offensive comments is a gross breach of their terms of employment then I don't really think you can argue. I doubt it would take too many advertisers to withdraw their ad's in protest before Sky couldn't afford to pay them.

As I said before - the problem I have with this is these blokes should be allowed to say this stuff in public if they want.

They are. This isn't public though, it's during the course of their employment. Employment in a highly image conscious sector in which reputation is everything. They should know better.

Birds are. The fact they have to keep it in secret and hope that nobody hears ? Quite worrying really.

Not so sure that a woman who made comments in similar circumstances wouldn't recieve similar treatment.

Yes, a PC World would be dull. Do you think we live in a dull world, or country? I certainly don't think so - there are workarounds.

However, I am indeed in a position of some authority, and considerable responsibility. I would have egg on my face if I were caught making remarks like that on tape. Of course, I may not be fired, but then again I don't get paid millions and work in an industry as egomaniacal as television / sports / journalism, making plenty of enemies along the way.

I disagree that everyone should be able to say what they want. Part of getting along with other people is discretion, and indeed, the occasional white lie. Full truth, and nothing but the truth, is really quite antagonistic towards how humans get along with each other.

If you wish to alter your argument a bit towards the other thread ie Loose Women say what they want, why can't "Loose Men" - then I'd be inclined to agree with you more.

Well these blokes were attempting to be discrete. However someone decided to grass them up and release a tape of a conversation they thought was private.

And yes you are right about being able to say what you want. I should have said up to a point. I reckon 99% of what people want to see is reasonable and should not be held back. I don't hold back. And my life is a far far far simpler place because of it.

To an extent, I agree. I think they were being more than just a bit dumb because what they said came over as actually sounding offensive, rather than just witty banter. If you want to be witty then take the piss out of someones actual failings, especially if they are major ones. As I say, they came over as sounding rather insecure more than anything else.

As for being fired for being dumb. Horses for courses; what is acceptable in an all male environment amongst people whom it isn't going to go any further may well not be acceptable in a mass media environment where image is all important. These guys are professional celebs on vast pay scales so should realise this.

Who's going to fire him though? Lets face it though, it may well have contributed to Labour failing to win the last election so it probably did have some consequence. Even then, it's not really comparable. I hate taking Brown's side (I'll go and force my self to be sick after I've posted this) but he was only giving his opinion - probably. These to clowns were just out to be offensive without actually having had any experience of the woman concerned. If she'd been a crap oficial and they'd said she was a crap official then they may have been justified in that.

The whole industry is a joke. It's reported that one of these numpties (poosibly both) is getting nearly two million quid a year simply for passing opinion on some other blokes kicking a ball about. If their employer takes the opinion that making offensive comments is a gross breach of their terms of employment then I don't really think you can argue. I doubt it would take too many advertisers to withdraw their ad's in protest before Sky couldn't afford to pay them.

They are. This isn't public though, it's during the course of their employment. Employment in a highly image conscious sector in which reputation is everything. They should know better.

Not so sure that a woman who made comments in similar circumstances wouldn't recieve similar treatment.

:lol: . You are having a laugh ?!

As for the rest - yes in their situation they know what position they are in and the lameness of the general public when it comes to 'offense'. So they should have been a bit smarter for their own good. I would actually quite like them to come out and say that was their opinion and if someone doesn't like it then that is up to them. That would open up an interesting debate.

Well these blokes were attempting to be discrete. However someone decided to grass them up and release a tape of a conversation they thought was private.

And yes you are right about being able to say what you want. I should have said up to a point. I reckon 99% of what people want to see is reasonable and should not be held back. I don't hold back. And my life is a far far far simpler place because of it.

:lol: . You are having a laugh ?!

As for the rest - yes in their situation they know what position they are in and the lameness of the general public when it comes to 'offense'. So they should have been a bit smarter for their own good. I would actually quite like them to come out and say that was their opinion and if someone doesn't like it then that is up to them. That would open up an interesting debate.

I would too, if people are going to say potentially controversial things then they should be prepared to have the bottle to back them up if challenged. Unfortunately, in thier case though, it isn't up to them but their employer. I'm sure they knew damn fine that they shouldn't have been saying those sorts of things whilst at work so really don't have anyone to blame.

makes the Phrase "he got pulled off at halftime" a bit more tricky if we have to be PC.

I'm sorry, ccc. It's just pure idiocy to think that any conversation in a public place with cameras trained on you and microphones on (or off) record is anything but on full public access. I would have more sympathy if they had been illegally / illicitly taped whilst enjoying a pint in the pub after the game.

About your second point - you are right. I also say the vast majority of what I want - using English in a British manner helps a lot as sometimes the sarcasm just flies past people, much fun. :lol: