House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
siskin

Anecdotal House Viewing At Weekend

Went to view a house on Saturday that has been on since October 1st. Needs new central heating, boiler, bathroom, kitchen, rewiring and plumbing (has lead pipes). I'd thought that this might be a good time to view because the house has been sitting on the market for 3 months plus and with a few months of consistently bearish news stories about house prices hopefully the seller would be approaching a state of mind where he'd be happy to take a low offer. So I wasn't best pleased to find people queuing outside for the viewing and a total of 10 couples traipsing through the place. It felt like deja vu from house viewing in Spring 2009 (the famous dead cat bounce remember) all over again. :angry:

I asked the estate agent showing the place 'with this much interest how come it hasn't sold yet?'. She said that the seller had rejected a couple of offers and was holding out for something a bit higher. The positive bit of news though is that the offers had all been around 10% under the home report valuation (about 15 -20k less) which was also slightly less than the offers over price too. The seller was hoping to achieve a price about 5k above the offers over price but still 10k under the home report valuation.

Another twist was the EA's attitude. In my experience EAs usually love to make a lot out of there being other interested buyers but this one was saying people looking might not translate into offers and actually apologised for the numbers of people there. I guess she sees plenty of people now who don't do closing dates and won't be manipulated into competing for a property. :P

I'm hoping this is a sign that sentiment is finally moving back our way. People still want to buy but not at any price regardless of what the home report valuation says. B)

Oh man, I hate when you go to view and there are lots of people there - especially when the EAs try to play you against one-another. Bummer about there being so many people there - what part of Edinburgh? And what price range?

Oh man, I hate when you go to view and there are lots of people there - especially when the EAs try to play you against one-another. Bummer about there being so many people there - what part of Edinburgh? And what price range?

Yeh, I was pretty pissed to see so many people but looks like most aren't paying silly prices anymore. The Mexican stand-off was in East Renfrewshire. I'm looking there and in South-side of Glasgow in 200 -250k range. Originally looking for a detached place but after 2 years now think a semi would be fine as long as it's got a garage and south or west facing garden.

Best of luck trying to get something in Edinburgh.

Edited by siskin

Yeh, I was pretty pissed to see so many people

If this happens to me, I tell the Estate Agent I will not be part of an auction and to ring me if the house is still on the market in a weeks time.

Then I walk away.