House Price Crash Forum

£30K For A Toyota Iq With Aston Badge On Front

Realistbear

HOLA441
  • Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
HOLA442

The original Mercedes A-Class is a design classic. The second version is slightly bigger and fatter and looks a bit as like one of the original type that's been dropped about 30 feet. The future 3rd generation A-Class, sadly, looks like a conventional supermini hatchback, but with the bizarre and ugly sculpting of the side panels that seems obligatory on all current Mercedes-Benz cars.

In what way is it a classic? other than falling over, and reducing mercedes build quality and reputation to chase sales.

Its a lemon.

HOLA443

Now you're grasping at straws....it's not sharing a platform or design team.....they haven't even 'breathed on' the engine.....it's a Toyota with another badge and nothing more.

I currently drive a Lexus ......

If they can get Toyota to engineer it under 100g/km or get a hybrid system in it, it will sell like hot cakes in the City....

MINI proved you could ask a massive premium and get it..... consistently, the IQ doesn't drive anything like as well as a MINI, but it is a different concept.... I'd prefer a Peugeot 107 LaCoste though, with the PSA group (sorry, the BMW MINI Cooper S) engine...... white leathered, overengined, dark green roller skate please...

The original A Class is a disaster zone - it's enormous, especially in the LWB version, but it's a total and complete lemon in the used market..... only people who want thr badge buy them..... it's awful.... especially inside, the revised one is much better....

HOLA444

If Aston Martin are into novelties, why don't they make a static display version of the DB9 with no engine or other mechanicals? After all, it's very beautiful to look at and would be much cheaper to make, cost nothing to run and probably it would depreciate less as well.

It wouldn't need to be static - it could be powered Flintstones style.....zero CO2!

HOLA445
HOLA446

In what way is it a classic? other than falling over, and reducing mercedes build quality and reputation to chase sales.

Its a lemon.

A design classic - I know it the early ones had stability problems and the engine is almost impossible to get at but I think it's one of the best looking small cars ever. After all, serious stability problems didn't stop the VW Beetle becoming a classic, nor did collapsing front suspension stop the Morris Minor from becoming a classic !!

I

HOLA447
HOLA448

BTW, having just sorted out family with an A1, you wait till you see the price of a specced up A1 with the TSI engine and DSG.... that will be pushing £25K plus, quite easily.... for a Skoda.....

I'll respectfully agree to disagree on this topic.....it's certainly not a Suzuki Alto with a Audi badge..... ;)

HOLA449
HOLA4410
HOLA4411

as for brand image, Aston is owned by a bunch of tasteless Arabs and it's starting to show through... their recent advertising is pathetically poor and 35 years out of date...... their target market isn't sophisticated gentry, it's gauche new money..... who think that the trinket buys the class.... and that dilutes the product anyway..... great cars (in the main), but their image, mostly due to recent sales explosions, isn't what it was....

HOLA4412
HOLA4413

http://uk.cars.yahoo.com/24012011/36/aston-martin-city-car-sale-pound-30-995-0.html

Aston Martin city car on sale for £30,995
Aston Martin will begin production of the Cygnet city car with two limited edition versions, priced at £30,995.
The Cygnet is the British performance car maker's smallest ever model. It has divided opinion since its unveiling because it is so obviously based on the Toyota iQ city car - which costs just over £10,000.
The order book for the limited edition Cygnet White and Cygnet Black versions (both pictured) is open now, with deliveries scheduled for April.
Aston says that these editions will be made for a limited time, although there is apparently no restriction on who can buy the car. It was initially thought that only existing Aston owners would be invited to buy a Cygnet.

I wonder if this is going to bomb? IMO its a highly embarassing thing to be seen in. Bad taste at its very worst.

Being sold off at £15k next month? Then down to £12k on clearance?

Looks like a good MEW purchase............. oh wait a minute, maybe a small fault in that plan

HOLA4414

That red leather makes it look like a seedy gentleman's club somewhere in Soho. Not that I'd know about that sort of thing :unsure:

A connection between "Minder" & 'similar' format "Hustle"?

. . . . a natural choice to play Albert Stroller, the elderly 'roper' responsible for ensnaring potential 'marks'

HOLA4415

Wow!!

Badge multiplies worth by 5 times. Good business :o but hey wait a mo isn't that the sort of deal thinking and unjustified crazy greed that in the olden days saw the UK motor industry go to the wall.

Can't they just add a city moustache to the Aston badge and increase the price by another £10 grand or so. A red braces motif should add a few grand as well.

Maybe they should change the name to the Aston Square Mile or the Aston Spiv - LTD Edition.

I guess it's just in their dna.

HOLA4416

it's to meet EU regulations concerning average Co2 emissions. This isn't a problem for a firm like Bentley because they are part of VW group, and presumably for RR as they are part of BMW. Now that AM aren't part of Ford they have to find some way round this - hence the Cygnet.

Top marks! It's a cheap way to meet the regulations! ;)

HOLA4417
HOLA4418

Mercedes Benz and Audi managed it without resorting to a humiliating rebadge effort.

Mercedes can offset their's against Smart cars. Audi can offset their's against Polos. Aston Martin aren't part of a group with a mass market badge, so they don't have this option.

HOLA4419

as for brand image, Aston is owned by a bunch of tasteless Arabs and it's starting to show through... their recent advertising is pathetically poor and 35 years out of date...... their target market isn't sophisticated gentry, it's gauche new money..... who think that the trinket buys the class.... and that dilutes the product anyway..... great cars (in the main), but their image, mostly due to recent sales explosions, isn't what it was....

Agree with this. I owned a 1965 DB6 back in the extremely late 1970's and loved it--bought it for £1500 and sold it a year later for £1200--big mistake got mud on my face!

If the Toyota had a toned down F1 engine and suspension to match it might be passable but with something other than an Aston badge. They ought to sell it to their dealers as customer courtesy cars or summat. However, how many Aston owners would put up with a Toy on loan while their 500bhp Aston is having a £400 oil change?

The £30k price is apparently due to:

Every car comes with a custom made Bill Amberg five-piece luggage set, designed to fit the car perfectly and match the colour scheme of the interior.

But who the flip is Bill? Some might have proffered Louis Crouton or perhaps Piers La Blanc but Bill Amberg?

HOLA4420
HOLA4421
HOLA4422

Absolutely. Rest of the posts in this thread all miss the point - and my info comes from people involved closely with AM. As eek says, it's to meet EU regulations concerning average Co2 emissions. This isn't a problem for a firm like Bentley because they are part of VW group, and presumably for RR as they are part of BMW. Now that AM aren't part of Ford they have to find some way round this - hence the Cygnet.

this is what happens when the carbon credits scheme is totally trashed by crooks...

firms find a mathematical way to overcome reality.

Like the Universe compared to Infinity, one exists, the other doesnt.

HOLA4423

this is what happens when the carbon credits scheme is totally trashed by crooks...

firms find a mathematical way to overcome reality.

Like the Universe compared to Infinity, one exists, the other doesnt.

but which one exists?

HOLA4424
HOLA4425

Could Aston Martin not introduce a AM electric golf buggy to be used on a golf course, which has zero CO2 emissions? This would satisfy EU requirements and save face.

A golf buggy would be good for getting to work on, can you use one on the roads?

Archived