House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Realistbear

£30K For A Toyota Iq With Aston Badge On Front

http://uk.cars.yahoo.com/24012011/36/aston-martin-city-car-sale-pound-30-995-0.html

Aston Martin city car on sale for £30,995
Aston Martin will begin production of the Cygnet city car with two limited edition versions, priced at £30,995.
The Cygnet is the British performance car maker's smallest ever model. It has divided opinion since its unveiling because it is so obviously based on the Toyota iQ city car - which costs just over £10,000.
The order book for the limited edition Cygnet White and Cygnet Black versions (both pictured) is open now, with deliveries scheduled for April.
Aston says that these editions will be made for a limited time, although there is apparently no restriction on who can buy the car. It was initially thought that only existing Aston owners would be invited to buy a Cygnet.

I wonder if this is going to bomb? IMO its a highly embarassing thing to be seen in. Bad taste at its very worst.

Being sold off at £15k next month? Then down to £12k on clearance?

http://uk.cars.yahoo.com/24012011/36/aston-martin-city-car-sale-pound-30-995-0.html

Aston Martin will begin production of the Cygnet city car with two limited edition versions, priced at £30,995.
The Cygnet is the British performance car maker's smallest ever model. It has divided opinion since its unveiling because it is so obviously based on the Toyota iQ city car - which costs just over £10,000.
The order book for the limited edition Cygnet White and Cygnet Black versions (both pictured) is open now, with deliveries scheduled for April.
Aston says that these editions will be made for a limited time, although there is apparently no restriction on who can buy the car. It was initially thought that only existing Aston owners would be invited to buy a Cygnet.

I wonder if this is going to bomb? IMO its a highly embarassing thing to be seen in. Bad taste at its very worst.

They need to reduce the average co2 output of their cars. The easiest way to do that is to rebrand someone else's car and ensure its so overpriced no one actually buys one.

I reckon they'd have sold more if they had only sold it to people who own other Astons. Being a city runaround for someone while also saying "I've got a real Aston back home" would have appealed to some people rightly or wrongly (i.e. wrongly).

Foxtons are gonna be hot for this one, lol. Those Minis are starting to show their age.

DB9s /Vanquish /Vantage cost 30-40K secondhand,

This is a slightly overpriced one at random

That red leather makes it look like a seedy gentleman's club somewhere in Soho. Not that I'd know about that sort of thing :unsure:

A hugely embarrassing disaster in the making for Aston. Will be looked back upon with regret.

They need to reduce the average co2 output of their cars. The easiest way to do that is to rebrand someone else's car and ensure its so overpriced no one actually buys one.

Absolutely. Rest of the posts in this thread all miss the point - and my info comes from people involved closely with AM. As eek says, it's to meet EU regulations concerning average Co2 emissions. This isn't a problem for a firm like Bentley because they are part of VW group, and presumably for RR as they are part of BMW. Now that AM aren't part of Ford they have to find some way round this - hence the Cygnet.

Absolutely. Rest of the posts in this thread all miss the point - and my info comes from people involved closely with AM. As eek says, it's to meet EU regulations concerning average Co2 emissions. This isn't a problem for a firm like Bentley because they are part of VW group, and presumably for RR as they are part of BMW. Now that AM aren't part of Ford they have to find some way round this - hence the Cygnet.

Mercedes Benz and Audi managed it without resorting to a humiliating rebadge effort.

there is no problem shifting 20K plus MINIs, top spec Mitos, 500s, DS3s, and the like, so why would there be an issue shifting these. Radford and the like had no problem shifting ultra high spec Minis in the 1960's either..... for about the equivalent price...

as for Audi and Merc having no problem meeting emissions, well duh........ now try that when your range is all V8 and V12 petrols...... maybe if they sold enough 1.6 and 1.9 diesel hatches they'd be OK.....

Mercedes Benz and Audi managed it without resorting to a humiliating rebadge effort.

Mercedes Benz have had smaller cars in the range for a decade, not to mention a huge amount of low-CO2 diesel engined cars. Audi are part of VW group.

I've just stuck a Spirit of Destiny on the bonnet of my Passat and stuck it on Auto Trader for £80K.

(rubs hands)

that;s a Bentley, not a Roller..... and it's a Phaeton, not a Flying Spur.... :)

there is no problem shifting 20K plus MINIs, top spec Mitos, 500s, DS3s, and the like, so why would there be an issue shifting these. Radford and the like had no problem shifting ultra high spec Minis in the 1960's either..... for about the equivalent price...

I'm sure you can spot the crucial difference between a Mini designed by Mini/BMW, a 500 designed by Fiat, a DS3 designed by Citroen, a Mito designed by Alfa and an Aston Martin Cygnet designed by........ :rolleyes:

From the blurb it appears that Aston Martin fit a complete high-quality interior to the iQ, plus new grille and panelling at the front. So while I still think that, like any Aston Martin, it's a car for people with more money than sense, the price is probably fair.

Whenever I see a Toyota iQ, I think 'Well, it's got a front, it's got a back, but where's the middle' !

Mercedes Benz have had smaller cars in the range for a decade, not to mention a huge amount of low-CO2 diesel engined cars. Audi are part of VW group.

They managed, with the A class, Smart and A2, to design small cars with zero brand damage.

I'm sure you can spot the crucial difference between a Mini designed by Mini/BMW, a 500 designed by Fiat, a DS3 designed by Citroen, a Mito designed by Alfa and an Aston Martin Cygnet designed by........ :rolleyes:

I had a Metro that was redone by Tickford.... Aston's engineering consultancy at the time - when new it cost more than Porsche 944 at the time.... :)

The MINI is a BMW car, the 500 is co-developed with Ford, the DS3 is a PSA group car, the Mito is off a FIAT group platform.....

some of you are so cynical.

have you not heard aston martins marketing team:

“The Cygnet was not the result of a motivation to lower Aston Martin’s CO2 emissions it was to offer our customers an alternative.”

so you see. every aston martin owner aspires to own a smart car and now they can.

The original Mercedes A-Class is a design classic. The second version is slightly bigger and fatter and looks a bit as like one of the original type that's been dropped about 30 feet. The future 3rd generation A-Class, sadly, looks like a conventional supermini hatchback, but with the bizarre and ugly sculpting of the side panels that seems obligatory on all current Mercedes-Benz cars.

I had a Metro that was redone by Tickford.... Aston's engineering consultancy at the time - when new it cost more than Porsche 944 at the time.... :)

The MINI is a BMW car, the 500 is co-developed with Ford, the DS3 is a PSA group car, the Mito is off a FIAT group platform.....

Now you're grasping at straws....it's not sharing a platform or design team.....they haven't even 'breathed on' the engine.....it's a Toyota with another badge and nothing more.

They have to produce them to get their fleet average up. So say EU puritans.

Theyre probably priced at £30k so no one wants to buy one and taint the Aston Badge. Thats my theory. They dont want any to sell.

Now you're grasping at straws....it's not sharing a platform or design team.....they haven't even 'breathed on' the engine.....it's a Toyota with another badge and nothing more.

...but..but..it's got a different grille and front-end, a totally different interior and probably about 24 coats of paint !!!

If Aston Martin are into novelties, why don't they make a static display version of the DB9 with no engine or other mechanicals? After all, it's very beautiful to look at and would be much cheaper to make, cost nothing to run and probably it would depreciate less as well.