House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

winkie

Sale Of Public Woodland

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-12262797

If this is allowed to happen in England it would be devastating for this country and the people that use and enjoy our beautiful forests and countryside......it must not happen, I do not believe for one moment that the right of way and the freedom to roam will stay, public land should stay in public hands......Selling England by the pound. :ph34r:

As Private Eye reported last week, the major scandal would be (and this was realised in Scotland and stopped it happening) is that the private buyer of the woodland would be able to sell the timber (planted at public expense) and then receive a public grant to replant the trees. Access is important, yes, but the danger is that an assurance of access will be given as a sticking plaster for asset stripping. And the access could be to an area where not so many trees survive due to felling.

Big campaign in the Forest of Dean near here - HOOF; Hands off our Forest.

Y

As Private Eye reported last week, the major scandal would be (and this was realised in Scotland and stopped it happening) is that the private buyer of the woodland would be able to sell the timber (planted at public expense) and then receive a public grant to replant the trees. Access is important, yes, but the danger is that an assurance of access will be given as a sticking plaster for asset stripping. And the access could be to an area where not so many trees survive due to felling.

Y

I can see a lot of banksters bonuses buying up woodland <_<

Big campaign in the Forest of Dean near here - HOOF; ...

Shame they all voted for it at the election though? Gloucester guy got kicked out and the new MP is a fund manager :D:D

You get the government you deserve.

Y

Next, you'll be seeing "The New Forest - Sponsored by Swan Vesta"...

Shame they all voted for it at the election though? Gloucester guy got kicked out and the new MP is a fund manager :D:D

You get the government you deserve.

The thing the Eye pointed out was that the new FoD MP (Mark Harper) has been put in charge of sorting out a system of recall of MPs by their constituencies. It would be ironic, wouldn't it...?

On your main point - I heard R5 interviewing some chap about a campaign to save a library in Buckinghamshire last week. It was crying out for the question " did you vote Conservative?" Everyone agrees cuts are needed, but everyone also agrees that the cuts should be to services that someone else uses.

Y

.... Everyone agrees cuts are needed, but everyone also agrees that the cuts should be to services that someone else uses.

The answer is to sack all the gay and lesbian gypsy disabled right liaison officers employed by left wing councils. Oh, if only there actually were any............. :)

To be honest I have never been to the forest of dean, and I am not thinking of any woodland or forest in particular...the thing I don't feel happy with is that our land being taken over by private people who will manage it for their own interest and benefit...why would they buy it? woodland costs money to manage after all....when it is gone it will be gone forever.

I seem to remember SNACR mentioned this ages ago, he said he bought up quite a bit for a fairly nominal sum. It's bad enough that it's being sold off for peanuts, it's doubly annoying that access is not being maintained and that the sales were not publicised so only those in the know got to benefit.

If this is allowed to happen in England it would be devastating for this country and the people that use and enjoy our beautiful forests and countryside......it must not happen, I do not believe for one moment that the right of way and the freedom to roam will stay, public land should stay in public hands......Selling England by the pound. :ph34r:

shouldnt thkis have been considered before getting in debt up to the eyeballs

How much do they think they're going to get for the coniferous woodland plantations that have guaranteed public access and little market value for the wood the new owner is actually allowed to cut?

With the spread of Sudden Oak Death, this could simply be a case of passing it on to the nearest available sucker.

I'm actually in two minds about this - English broadleaf woodland was never left untouched, it has always been managed and it is this management that created the type of woodlands we have today. If the government can't afford the management, there are many sympathetic woodsmen who will - it's a matter of selling to the right people. The ideal might be sale of most to the National Trust or Woodland Trust. Of course, this is the government we're trusting to do the right thing.....

Y

I like the sound of that, if this hpc doesnt get a move on then I think I just found a new use for my str fund :D

I like the sound of that, if this hpc doesnt get a move on then I think I just found a new use for my str fund :D

Don't say that too loudly.

The thought of what Realist Bear would do in the woods .......

Y

Don't see why it wouldn't. It already applies to loads of privately owned land, not just publicly owned land.

To be honest I have never been to the forest of dean, and I am not thinking of any woodland or forest in particular...the thing I don't feel happy with is that our land being taken over by private people who will manage it for their own interest and benefit...why would they buy it? woodland costs money to manage after all....when it is gone it will be gone forever.

No reason as to why there cannot be covenents put on the land restricting what can be done with it.

Scaremongering. I go to Thetford forest a lot, and, like most forests, its already a working forest, despite being in public ownership, with many trails off limits at any one time for harvesting or thinning operations. Most forests are of poor soil quality and dont lend themselves to agricultural cultivation. As usual the left are using peoples ignorance to work them into a frenzy.

Given the costs of a place like Centre Parks, its not likely theyre all going to be turned into caravan holiday parks

Interesting article in the times on this subject yesterday; fortunatly the writer has posted it on his own website so we can get round the paywall:

http://www.rationaloptimist.com/blog/why-nationalise-trees

Since its plans to sell off much of the Forestry Commission’s land were leaked the press last October, the government has found itself subject to a sustained lobbying campaign. The commission has wheeled out its friends to tell the press what an irreplaceable paragon of environmental virtue it is, and specifically how much access to the countryside will be lost if its land is sold.

I have learned that when the government’s proposals are put to public consultation next week, this particular charge will be found to be simply wrong. All sales of land will be subject to the same access provisions as now. So the hyperventilating lobbyists, from ramblers to baronesses, can calm down: the Forest of Dean will not suddenly be closed. It was the Labour government that was quietly selling Forestry Commission land in recent years with no such public-access requirement.

The access row is a smokescreen to cover old-fashioned bureaucratic self-preservation. The Forestry Commission is keen to remain a cosy nationalised monopoly. With more than two million acres (600,000 in England) and over 50% of timber production, plus 100% untrammelled power to set the rules of the industry it competes in and dominates, the Forestry Commission is a walking conflict of interest. It is like the Bank of England running a huge high-street bank, or the BBC owning Ofcom

Given the costs of a place like Centre Parks, its not likely theyre all going to be turned into caravan holiday parks

Actually a lot cheaper than you think. CP is expensive to run, but runs with 99% occupancy which pays well. Lower down there are already loads of smaller timber lodge style holiday places going up, and several larger one eg the old Proteus site in sherwood.

I would like to bring this up again and express a few thoughts as to why this will turn out bad for our country and the enjoyment our future generations will get from it.

1. Managing forests and old woodlands requires money, this is now done by the forestry commission with public money, we might agree that they do fine work but many say it is an expensive operation to run....so why not privitise the management instead of sell off all the land and resources.

2.Why would anyone want to purchase something if they felt it would not at some point be a benefit to them...whoever buys if they do choose to look after the land they will have to factor in that cost.

3.What will stop any private buyer charging a fee to ride a bike or horse?

4. Why would a private buyer want to advertise a right of way to the public, the path my stay but the fallen tree my block that path....overtime people my not know or question their rights and will believe the land is privately owned so avoid using it...believing trespassers could be prosecuted.

There are many unanswered questions, personally I feel this sell off will NOT be a good move for our people, our nation. ;)

I can see a lot of banksters bonuses buying up woodland <_<

In a way that pretty much goes to the nub of the problem facing Britain today.The 10% of the population with sufficient wealth are using it unashamedly to buy power and influence.Part of this strategy is the purchase of resources that are essential to the remaining 90% and thereby holding the bulk of the population to ransom.

In the case of those of us in the next wealthy 40% this may only involve us in paying say,£300k for a house that should be £200k but for the bottom half it means a life of virtual penury where McDonalds and X Factor is the modern day bread and circuses.

As Private Eye reported last week, the major scandal would be (and this was realised in Scotland and stopped it happening) is that the private buyer of the woodland would be able to sell the timber (planted at public expense) and then receive a public grant to replant the trees.

and if it's a commercial wood, the proceeds would all be tax free.

Not to mention a few other tax breaks..

Woodland Taxation

shouldnt thkis have been considered before getting in debt up to the eyeballs

I considered this in veiw that we are still the Sixth richest country in the world despite the recession and the tories are robbing us and using it as an excuse