House Price Crash Forum

As per the title... more job losses at the Beeb.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-12265173

I think this is very positive.

The BBC has been a big hindrance to UK businesses who wish to set up in the online field by simply being able to undercut, at no risk to BBC bosses, UK online sites.

The BBC is just stupidly big. How many radio station do they run.

Also last year watching F1 Martin Brundle (BBC) mentioned the BBC5live reporter interviewing a driver on the start grid. WTF I'm sure 5live could have used Brundles grid walk commentary. How many more did they have there. It's a global sport with limited access to the grid yet the BBC were running 2 reporters.

Also last year watching F1 Martin Brundle (BBC) mentioned the BBC5live reporter interviewing a driver on the start grid. WTF I'm sure 5live could have used Brundles grid walk commentary. How many more did they have there. It's a global sport with limited access to the grid yet the BBC were running 2 reporters.

I understand what you're saying, but since the radio listener can't see what's happening the commentary needs to be different.

However, I don't know why the R5 commentator can't just report what's being broadcast on TV from a studio in the UK

Edited by exiges

Why does it take at least 2 presenters to do any program?

Sometimes on the radio there can be 4 or 5 people talking a load of old crap instead of playing music.

I understand what you're saying, but since the radio listener can't see what's happening the commentary needs to be different.

However, I don't know why the R5 commentator can't just report what's being broadcast on TV from a studio in the UK

It would work just fine, :) its rare that Martin would say oohh look at this, or did you see that and if he did it would not be much. Its mostly just chit chat that would save the cost of sending someone out there for a 5 minute Q&A.

I think this is very positive.

The BBC has been a big hindrance to UK businesses who wish to set up in the online field by simply being able to undercut, at no risk to BBC bosses, UK online sites.

Yup. IIRC a year or so back they had to be warned off setting up local offices because they would put local newspapers out of business.

Theyre an out of control monster. But of course, in Liebour-BBC la la land, crowding out doesnt happen. If the state provides a free gym, you keep going to your fee paying gym just to 'lock the recovery in' as the Scottish Snot gobbler would say.

Edited by Sadman

I have to bring my anecdotal of interviewing a VIP many years ago whilst I worked at ITV. We turned up with a team of 5 and the BBC turned up in a fair-sized convoy of vans and lorries,from the small to quite large, and what appeared to be a small army.

We then had to contend with loads of Runners, Personal Assistants and Assistant Producers, all of whom looked no older than 19, running around with head mics on barging and pushing us out of the way. It almost came to fisticuffs.

Big Egoes, big crew, big waste of money IMPO.

The end result, on screen, looked, if I say so myself, much better on ITV than on the BBC.

I am a great supporter of the BBC but the blunt truth is that we actually get very little for the money put into it. Large areas need to be scaled back.

The BBC is in desperate need of a damn good downsizing.

I do admire the quality of some of their output, but there is no getting away from the immense cost of this.

Those at the top have a lot of high end salaries to protect. Some workers will have to be sacrificed.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/tvandradio/7348869/Greg-Dyke-BBC-director-general-Mark-Thompson-overpaid-and-out-of-touch.html

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/tvandradio/bbc/7230366/BBC-has-382-staff-earning-more-than-100000.html

Perhaps if they started charging experts from failed mortgage brokers for their house ramping slots on BBC news they could save a few jobs?

Edited by Redhat Sly

I find it mind-boggling that we need an official State broadcaster to show motor racing at all. Any number of commercial channels would happily carry this. Instead we get a government entity bidding up the true value of a product as usual.

I find it mind-boggling that we need an official State broadcaster to show motor racing at all. Any number of commercial channels would happily carry this. Instead we get a government entity bidding up the true value of a product as usual.

Not have F1 on BBC. Christ that would be a kick in the 'crown jewels'!

Before all that: If there are commercial broadcasters willing to cover a sport event, then why the BBC has to outbid then, in an auction, using public money? Why not let the commercial broadcasters do that?!

I have never heard a good reason for the BBC to participate in these auctions.

+ 1

( I should learn to read the whole thread before posting. :D )

F1 is better on the beeb than it was on ITV and whats happened to boxing, died a death in this country with pay per view. I remember big fight live on ITV, household names.

It depends who the commercial operaters are. Setanter for example.

The BBC just need to stop being so darn fat.

It's a global sport with limited access to the grid yet the BBC were running 2 reporters.
It's a global sport but when all's said and done it's just glorified go-karting! Just like football is just two groups of men kicking a ball - how interesting can that be? Edited by Hyperduck Quack Quack

They should forget this for a moment and should make a start by cutting out the ludicrous choice of hotels their executives use. I think I have posted this before. If you go onto their expenses site, which is now public (after a lot of moaning by the BBC) you can see that overnight stays which would be perfectly doable using a £29 a night Cheapolodge (you know like everyone else would have to) turn into £130 a night 4 star extravaganzas. The only letup in this I saw were people at the very top level of the directorate who stayed in cheap Inns. The lower levels (i.e. between £100k-£175k pa (yea that's lower level)) tend to stay at the more expensive hotels (£130+ a night) presumably because they think they are more under the radar.

Edited by pl1

A couple of weeks back the Beeb's supposedly self critical programme had comments on cutting of their services. Naturally they used letters that supported their view against the cuts.However unbelievably later in the same show the present appeared in front of the Parthenon in Athens :blink: then went on to interview some TV execs at an industry conference. All of whom appeared to be from the UK, I've no idea how they failed to notice this own goal is beyond me. Since then I've noticed how many of their shows have sections made in exotic climes. The BBC2 show last week about the banks "Britain's Banks: Too Big to Save? " had Peston jetting off to Basel, why? I bet that they don't use locally sourced camera and sound crews so I bet costs of overtime and travel must have been astronomical. :angry:

ITV negotiated its way out of the F1 coverage about half way through its last contract - they couldn't afford Bernie's demands.

F1 aside I think there are many ways the costs of the BBC could be reduced - how many radio stations do we need for starters.

Before all that: If there are commercial broadcasters willing to cover a sport event, then why the BBC has to outbid then, in an auction, using public money? Why not let the commercial broadcasters do that?!

I have never heard a good reason for the BBC to participate in these auctions.

I agree the BBC should concentrate on other things!

That's my money they are spending!

Why does it take at least 2 presenters to do any program?

Sometimes on the radio there can be 4 or 5 people talking a load of old crap instead of playing music.

Why does it take a presenter at all? Annanova was invented 15 years ago.

There are also some text to speech programs I use to proof read things, which flow I guess 70% of the time properly the words. This is from a open source bit of software too!

Not have F1 on BBC. Christ that would be a kick in the 'crown jewels'!

F1 is incredibly boring, it isn't even racing, it isn't close or exiciting, it's like watching big scalextrix cars go round and round. Touring cars, is neat as it is close, WSB is neat because it is also close, they use machines which you can buy from a dealer.