House Price Crash Forum

Prem League Footballer Bankrupt Through Property

HOLA441
Prem Lge star bankrupt after property scam

By ANTHONY FRANCE

Published: Today

PREMIER League ace Jason Euell has gone bankrupt after being scammed in a property venture.

The Blackpool star, 33, found out his signature had been forged on documents after the business failed.

Millionaire Euell - who earns an estimated £7,500 a week - noticed other irregularities in the venture's finances and fears the fraud could cripple him.

The striker - who started his career with Wimbledon's infamous Crazy Gang - said: "Six years ago I invested in a property company with a friend of mine, which due to a number of factors in the last year has failed.

"I recently noticed some financial discrepancies and discovered my signature had been forged on documents.

"I have now put a legal team in place to investigate this.

"I have also taken professional advice as a result of which I filed for bankruptcy."

Jamaican international Euell - who has earned about £6million in his 16-year career - lives with wife Andrea, 37, in a £2million home in Richmond, South West London.

His case was listed at Kingston-upon-Thames County Court last Monday where he gave his job as "a professional footballer".

According to details of the bankruptcy, the order will be automatically discharged after 12 months.

Taking it at face value, and I have no reason not to, this is still another high profile media story that destroys the myth that you can't go wrong with bricks and mortar.

"Why did you lose all your money Jason?"

"I made the big mistake of investing in property during a bubble."

Edit for link: http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/3366925/Prem-star-Jason-Euell-bankrupt-after-property-scam.html

Edited by Frank Hovis

HOLA442

Taking it at face value, and I have no reason not to, this is still another high profile media story that destroys the myth that you can't go wrong with bricks and mortar.

"Why did you lose all your money Jason?"

"I made the big mistake of investing in property during a bubble."

Edit for link: http://www.thesun.co...perty-scam.html

If he got scammed then I feel sorry for him. Must be awful.

HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446

Earnt £6 million, spent £2 on the house, probably another £0.75M on cars, throw in the 4 annual trips to Dubai, school fees, WAG lifestyle for his wife, stupid garish yellow watches, white Prada suits and hand-made Italian shoes (worn without socks, natch) and there probably isn't much left to live even a moderate lifestyle, let alone the one everyone in the family is accustomed to.

Edited by monks

HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449

I would have thought that if his signature has been forged he wouldn't be liable. :huh:

Exactly, if it was just a case of forgery/identity theft, then he wouldn't have to go bankrupt. His story is a bit fishy. He's been in financial trouble with his pwoperdee empire before - this from July 2009:

TENANTS fear they will be evicted from their flats after footballer Jason Euell’s company got into financial difficulty.

Southampton star Euell’s company Hugo Properties has 28 days to cough up £122,994.71 in mortgage payments on flats at Shorecliffe Rise, on Radcliffe New Road, or the tenants could be forced to leave.

This follows a move by bank bosses to recover the money from the footballer, after a case on Monday, June 29 in the Bury County Court.

The Bank of Scotland, trading as Birmingham Midshires building society, were granted a repossession order on a number of flats at Shorecliffe if the debt is not settled.

A resident, who wished to remain anonymous, said: "It is a very worrying time. We were told by the court on Monday that the homes have been repossessed by the building society and that they will then look to sell them on to recoup their money. Effectively the bailiffs could be called in after 28 days. It makes me angry to think of a professional footballer who will probably earn more in a week than I do in a year, not paying his mortgage, while collecting our rent monies."

A spokesperson for Birmingham Midshires said they were not the mortgage lender for all the properties at Shorecliffe Rise, nor would the company disclose how many involved Jason Euell.

The Birmingham Midshires spokesman said: "Only when we have exhausted all other options would repossession be the course of action. At this point, we will look to engage with the tenant and request copies of the tenancy agreement. Where there is a valid tenancy agreement in place, we would appoint a receiver and manage the rent collection directly. This will then allow the tenant to remain in their home for the remainder of the agreement. This will allow us to appoint a receiver to manage the rent collection, so that the tenant can remain in the property for the duration of their tenancy agreement."

Neither Mr Euell or any other representatives of Hugo Properties, of Gravesend, in Kent, were in court or would comment when contacted.

Edited by Little Professor

HOLA4410

He has no sympathy from me. i will save that for his creditors who lose everything. its fine to use bankruptcy as an easy option but it should be accompanied by a mandatory one year prison sentence as a deterrent to others. He can continue to earn £7500 a week without the need to pay back any of his debts. If he owed me a lot of money I would pay £500 to have his legs broken to make it hard for him to continue living the high life at my expence.

HOLA4411

He has no sympathy from me. i will save that for his creditors who lose everything. its fine to use bankruptcy as an easy option but it should be accompanied by a mandatory one year prison sentence as a deterrent to others. He can continue to earn £7500 a week without the need to pay back any of his debts. If he owed me a lot of money I would pay £500 to have his legs broken to make it hard for him to continue living the high life at my expence.

He's 33 though innit. He could be right at the end of his career?

HOLA4412

Exactly, if it was just a case of forgery/identity theft, then he wouldn't have to go bankrupt. His story is a bit fishy. He's been in financial trouble with his pwoperdee empire before - this from July 2009:

Mmmmm the plot thickens. I agree, it looks like he is trying to link his bankruptcy with fraud, two entirely different things.

HOLA4413
HOLA4414
HOLA4415
HOLA4416

Lets be honest, most of them arent that bright, and when their spiv friends and hangers on tell them of a 'right pukka deal', they can hardly resist.

This one got some cars.

http://www.sundaymercury.net/midlands-sport/aston-villa-fc/aston-villa-fc-news/2009/06/21/revealed-aston-villa-star-is-victim-of-alleged-250-000-porsche-fraud-66331-23933495/

HOLA4417

Yes and no. There are situations where I completely agree with that, and others where I don't, and the law really should be able to take the difference.

Creditors lending to reckless blow-it-all-never-considered-paying-it-back type then if they go bankrupt I completely agree. However, what about lending to a start-up business that could do well, but might go bust? In those situations the creditors need to accept the risk, and the guy starting up the business shouldn't be punished if he made an honest attempt at it.

HOLA4418
HOLA4419

Yes and no. There are situations where I completely agree with that, and others where I don't, and the law really should be able to take the difference.

Creditors lending to reckless blow-it-all-never-considered-paying-it-back type then if they go bankrupt I completely agree. However, what about lending to a start-up business that could do well, but might go bust? In those situations the creditors need to accept the risk, and the guy starting up the business shouldn't be punished if he made an honest attempt at it.

The whole system of creditors needs looking at. If creditors sign a disclaimer to not reclaim monies owed if a business venture goes t!ts then that would be fine. No need for bankruptcy. Would lenders be prepared to take that risk ? They might just as well because they never get much back, taking into account legal fees, as it is.

HOLA4420

Bit rich calling for bankrupts to be jailed and then saying that you would take the law into your own hands and have the guys legs broken . How long a sentence would you call for if you got caught doing that ?

HOLA4421

Bit rich calling for bankrupts to be jailed and then saying that you would take the law into your own hands and have the guys legs broken . How long a sentence would you call for if you got caught doing that ?

a 20 hour community order suspended for two years sounds fair to me and my henchman. :)

HOLA4422
HOLA4423
HOLA4424
HOLA4425