House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Masked Tulip

Chorleywood Bread Process

It is interesting how much they have changed wheat since 1945. Now we have all these allergies, asthmas, coeliacs, etc, etc. Makes you wonder.

They say that modern hybrid wheat is so changed that the molecules in them are nothing like the wheat pre-1945. They find wheat petides in the blood of people who suffer from exercise induced asthma. Some people online refer to it as mutant dwarf wheat.

I think the interesting thing about the chorleywood process is that many of the so-called speciality breads are made in this way - yet they give the impression, IMPO, that such breads are all baked in ovens in the conventional bread making way.

It is interesting how much they have changed wheat since 1945. Now we have all these allergies, asthmas, coeliacs, etc, etc. Makes you wonder.

They say that modern hybrid wheat is so changed that the molecules in them are nothing like the wheat pre-1945. They find wheat petides in the blood of people who suffer from exercise induced asthma. Some people online refer to it as mutant dwarf wheat.

I think the interesting thing about the chorleywood process is that many of the so-called speciality breads are made in this way - yet they give the impression, IMPO, that such breads are all baked in ovens in the conventional bread making way.

here's a good website:

http://www.sustainweb.org/realbread/

This summer I visited an old water mill and they were milling whole wheat between the mill stones, fascinating the thing was they couldn't sell the flour because of health and safety, so we were all given a big bag to take home....made the best bread ever. ;)

Yeah, bread was very different many years ago. It cost a fortune and was full of chalk and dust.

Still, don't let me spoil your romantic longings for a time that never existed. ;)

Im waiting for a batch of dough to rise right now, baking your own bread from scratch costs about 30p a loaf and tastes 100 times better

I never got decent results with a bread machine - quicker to do it manually (and gets in a bit of exercise too)