House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

guitarman001

Cinema Ban Part 2

OK so you may remember I banned myself from going to the cinema last year due to ridiculous ticket costs. I caved in late last year as I do enjoy it - went to see Black Swan this weekend which I thought was good! Anyway... my point is, the weekend rate (at 1pm, hardly peak time, nobody was around) was £7.80 per adult! £7.80 to go see a film!? Hence from this point on, I am reinstating my ban....!

OK so you may remember I banned myself from going to the cinema last year due to ridiculous ticket costs. I caved in late last year as I do enjoy it - went to see Black Swan this weekend which I thought was good! Anyway... my point is, the weekend rate (at 1pm, hardly peak time, nobody was around) was £7.80 per adult! £7.80 to go see a film!? Hence from this point on, I am reinstating my ban....!

Deflation init? :lol:

But pay for films? The multiplex around here is so incredibly understaffed (it is run by three people) you can just walk in.

Went to go and see that this afternoon...£8.10...ruddy nora...

Did you like the film, Dave?

I'm sure peak time cost was only £6 or so last year unless I'm mistaken. I can't do Orange Wednesdays (with the girlfriend anyway) as we live fairly far apart - besides Orange Wednesdays are too busy for my liking.

The cost is just through the roof - it really is completely ridiculous.

Did you like the film, Dave?

I'm sure peak time cost was only £6 or so last year unless I'm mistaken. I can't do Orange Wednesdays (with the girlfriend anyway) as we live fairly far apart - besides Orange Wednesdays are too busy for my liking.

The cost is just through the roof - it really is completely ridiculous.

Hmmm....I'm a sort of fan of Aronofsky...he's probably a David Lynch lite...I think I can see what he was trying to do, but it was a sort of frustrating cinematic experience...

Went to see Tron Legacy 3D at the Kinepolis in Brussels yesterday at 14:00. For an adult & 2 children (reduced price), I paid 31 Euros. I have to say though, that the screen was on a par with the Cineworld in the town centre Glasgow (larger than the norm), & the chairs were the equivalent of the Odeon's deluxe range. Plenty of legroom as well. At this price a visit to the cinema can definitely be classed as a luxury. Some movies just have to be seen in the cinema though, & don't even try to pass off your huge high def screen & surround sound as an equivalent.

I almost forgot to mention. After paying, the kiosk chap wouldn't let us pass through to our screen, until we had hidden from sight the sweets we had purchased elsewhere. :blink: Is that the norm in the UK as well?

Look for Chinese people with gym bags?

It is highly annoying sometimes as people approach me all the time asking if I have any DVDs for sale, even when I am dressed for office work...

Tron was great - never saw it in 3D, though.

I agree - some films have to be seen at the cinema - but I'm going to try and resist going as much as possible at those prices. Certainly a bit of a luxury now....

Oh and yes... most cinemas now require you to only take in food you bought at that cinema (which is overly expensive) - I tend to sneak in my own.

If you want films to continue getting made, don't use bloody torrents. It's an insult to the thousands of people working often low paid jobs in the film industry. You're basically saying you think their product is worthless.

It's often worth paying the premium to see certain films in the cinema. For the rest, just subscribe to Lovefilm or similar.

Guy I work with has the monthly ticket...£12..I think. He switches the heating off and takes drink and nibbles with him.

Watches some rubbish though!

:blink:

I thought people got done all the time for using torrents - certainly we've had two out of three warning e-mails from Tiscali - the whole thing put me off.

Newsgroups using SSL servers are your friend. Maxed out connection for downloads every time, plus no chance of being caught.

I'm downloading a 1080p HD film and watching it within 45 minutes these days.

Look into

Astraweb

Grabit

NZB Matrix

Then get one of these

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Western-Digital-Live-Media-Player/dp/B002LZUHMI/ref=tag_tdp_sv_edpp_i

Never pay for a film or album again.wink.gif

:blink:

whats wrong with that? I've not had the heating on since I got back from my Russian adventure. Gas costs $$$, clothing I have lying around costs nothing and I sleep under 2 covers a felt blanket and an unzipped sleeping bag.

If you collect Nectar points, you can get into Vue cinemas using the points alone. I wouldn't bother paying real money for tickets though. Too many bad films being made.

Newsgroups using SSL servers are your friend. Maxed out connection for downloads every time, plus no chance of being caught.

I never got my head round newsgroups. I mean, how do they work? :blink:

If you collect Nectar points, you can get into Vue cinemas using the points alone. I wouldn't bother paying real money for tickets though. Too many bad films being made.

I never got my head round newsgroups. I mean, how do they work? :blink:

Haha don't ask me. Took me a bit of getting used to, NZB files make it alot easier.

Try here for a guide

http://www.slyck.com/Newsgroups_Guide

you'll also get an idea of what is available here

http://nzbmatrix.com/

They are just another server that delivers posts in a sort of email format on a different port to emails or websevers, so you need a special program called a newsreader like Forte Agent, Outlook Express and others. Put the news group server address in the news reader like you set up an email account (with optional username and password) then download the posts and thats about it.

http://www.microsoft...newsgroups.mspx

http://www.microsoft...e/nntpnews.mspx

http://en.wikipedia....senet_newsgroup

http://services.exet...ch03s02s01.html

agent-screenshot.gif

All the internet is, is a number of computers connected up by switches which may provide one or more services & content, ie a computer can be hosting websites, email, remote access & FTP services like say MS Small Business Server. To access content you need the right program as it will access the services from its standard port and will expect data to be in a certain format.

Websites are typically port 80 & 443, File Transfer Protocol (FTP) is 21, Email is POP3 110, SMTP 25 and IMAP 143.

The port (or doorway) kind of dictates the service & content and thus format to expect, but you can change port numbers if you want to be awkward, and uou can use TELNET to access any port and communicate direct in a limited fashion.

It is more technical than that, for example, with the webservers I've written I've had to program each packet of data no more than 16kb in size and that packet has to adhere to a standard so that switches and servers can read and respond to the data as its transmitted over the net. So when a file is bigger than 16kb, the packets all contain a section of the data in sequence and the other end re-assembles the packets.

Also when you initially communicate the packet will be TCP but when you have lots of data to be sent like a BBC iPlayer stream or some sort of remote access the packet will be sent as UDP which means no confirmation of receipt is effectively sent back to teh sender. The software recieving UDP data might spot missing packets and send a request for it to be resent (like a file transfer) but it depends on the content, live tv streams typically wont resend data so you see a stutter in teh picture for example.

When you type in a web address (name) thats looked up in the Domain Name Server (telephone book) and translated to an IP address (phone number) which means a computer somewhere on the net. That computer will know the domain name regardless of the service, be it email, news or web, and then direct packet to the the appropriate services for processing.

Thats basically it in nutshell. :blink:

erm +1 huh.gif

If you want films to continue getting made, don't use bloody torrents. It's an insult to the thousands of people working often low paid jobs in the film industry. You're basically saying you think their product is worthless.

It's often worth paying the premium to see certain films in the cinema. For the rest, just subscribe to Lovefilm or similar.

I watched KickAss and I think they might actually owe me money for stealing two hours of my life.

Some movies just have to be seen in the cinema though

I wouldn't class Tron: Legacy as one of those films. Admittedly I made the mistake of seeing it at the Sheffield Odeon, the worst of our local multiplexes.

Tron: Legacy is a bit of a "dark" film in that, well, it's not brightly lit most of the time. Add some 3D "indoor sun glasses" and it starts to look a bit gloomy. At least on a 3D-TV you could turn the brightness up.

Some movies just have to be seen in the cinema though, & don't even try to pass off your huge high def screen & surround sound as an equivalent.

Quite right. A decent home cinema setup is far superior. Better picture quality, better sound, comfier chairs. The food is more reasonably priced too. ;)

A friend of mine has a standard sort of Samsung 32" TV. Even on this, colours look less washed out than in the cinema, the picture is sharper. And you don't have bellends talking loudly throughout the film.

I used to love the big screen experience years ago (Star Wars, Close Encounters etc.) but now it seems like a chore.

Guy I work with has the monthly ticket...£12..I think.

Watches some rubbish though!

I used to have one of those tickets. Ended up going to the cinema just for the sake of going, watching films I wouldn't sit all the way through if they were on TV at home.

I used to have one of those tickets. Ended up going to the cinema just for the sake of going, watching films I wouldn't sit all the way through if they were on TV at home.

But the more you go the more you save. Sit through it twice and save double the money!

I've got better on this, and I can trace it back to a hugely over-sweetened over-large coffee in the US. It was awful but because I'd paid a dollar for it I was going to drink it all. I felt rough for hours afterwards. So when I was eating a particularly large meal out the other day, and I noticed that my stomach was hurting from the volume, I stopped and left it. Prior to that fateful coffee I would have felt obliged to struggle on.

But the more you go the more you save. Sit through it twice and save double the money!

:lol: Can't fault the logic but "The Perfect Storm" twice? Once was bad enough.

Annoying how the simple things like a cinema trip are so expensive.

It's because even the spotty kid selling popcorn needs to earn £25k just to keep his highly leveraged BTL landlord in the style he is accustomed :(