House Price Crash Forum
lmukimberley

Did You Purchase Northern Rock In 2007?

Did anyone buy Northern Rock in September or August 2007?

If you did what influenced you? Was it the media, the fact the price got so low or even because your workmates bought them? or something else perhaps?

I am completing a dissertation in investment psychology and am interested in why you chose to purchase them.

****Please be aware that by posting the below you are agreeing the answers you give to the researcher being used in an undergraduate research study at Leeds Metropolitan University. Please message me if you wish to be excluded or require any further details. Your help with this project is very much appreciated*****

F*ck no!

No banks, no builders has been my motto since 2006.

A friend bought some NR in Sept 2007 despite my advice not to. I don't really know what motivated his decision. He said at the time it was "for a laugh".

If you did what influenced you? Was it the media, the fact the price got so low or even because your workmates bought them? or something else perhaps?

I am completing a dissertation in investment psychology and am interested in why you chose to purchase them.

****Please be aware that by posting the below you are agreeing the answers you give to the researcher being used in an undergraduate research study at Leeds Metropolitan University. Please message me if you wish to be excluded or require any further details. Your help with this project is very much appreciated*****

I didn't buy because I was asked this question on the phone:

"If you agree to this loan now and sign up for the next ten years, then that's great, otherwise I will have to check your credit records, would you like me to do that?"

I thought, "Hang on a minute, if they're offering that to everybody, what does that say about the reliability of the bank?"

I declined. For me it seemed a clear case of Ponzi Scheme banking. Have you seen the Boiler Room? That is Northern Rock (although NR is on a much bigger scale as is the UK banking system at the moment) :ph34r: .

I predicted that Northern Rock would be the first bank to go under in August 2007

http://groups.google.com/group/uk.legal/browse_thread/thread/1f1317c801785538/4df11bd125fe9985?#4df11bd125fe9985

I told a couple of people I knew to sell their shares, and they are glad they followed my advice.

However, I also predicted that HSBC would go under, and got that one wrong.

I did, but then sold on stop loss.

I bought at the time as there appeared to be a good chance of a bounce after the first few falls (did I fall for Apple Sauce and Alistair Darlings comments) and also as I wasn't too worried about risk at that point as I had a large capital gain from a property sale and always knew I could offset the loss against that, which is what I ended up doing.