House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Sledgehead

Debt Ridden Blair Babe Is On The Run

BANKRUPT former Reading East MP Jane Griffiths had been ordered to appear in court after failing to co-operate with the Official Receiver.

She was due to be "publicly examined" at Reading County Court in Friar Street at 10.30am on Monday, September 19, today, but failed to turn up. The judge has had no choice but to issue a warrant for her arrest.

It is understood that she has outstanding debts of £29k.

Ms Griffiths was declared bankrupt just four days after May's General Election when her old seat - which she won in 1997 and held against the odds four years later - was recaptured by the Tories.

The bankruptcy declaration - ... involves money owed by Ms Griffiths to the Inland Revenue.

The 51-year-old former MP only narrowly avoided the ignominy of being thrown out of the House of Commons, because the writ for bankruptcy was lodged on March 21 and Parliamentary rules require bankrupt MPs to resign their seats.

Ex-MP Jane to appear in court over bankruptcy , Sept 1, 05

SH EDIT to red part:

New Labour, that has encouraged borrowing on a massive scale, only narrowly avoided the ignominy of Ms Griffiths being thrown out of the House of Commons, because the writ for bankruptcy was lodged on March 21 and Parliamentary rules require bankrupt MPs to resign their seats.

Edited by Sledgehead

The 51-year-old former MP only narrowly avoided the ignominy of being thrown out of the House of Commons, because the writ for bankruptcy was lodged on March 21 and Parliamentary rules require bankrupt MPs to resign their seats.[/color]

Ah, that rule goes back to the days when bankruptcy really meant something.

Guest Charlie The Tramp
It involves money owed by Ms Griffiths to the Inland Revenue.

I thought MPs were on PAYE. :unsure:

BANKRUPT former Reading East MP Jane Griffiths had been ordered to appear in court after failing to co-operate with the Official Receiver.

Sorry but I'm going to whinge. :angry:

No offence to you personally but this thread is the same as the 'What a Shame' thread just below it. We also had at least two threads running on the Radio 4 phone in today and people keep creating new threads saying has anyone heard about this new edition of panorama attacking Gordon Brown. There are also a couple of threads of new builds especially if you include the ones on two bedroom new builds.

Please can people (in general) read the other threads before starting their own, I keep experiencing deja vu. :blink:

Thank you. :)

Sorry, genuinely, but I don't have the time to read all the threads.

What I can't understand is why folks can't use more meaningful titles. That way we would recognise similar stories. I just can't be bothered to read stores with titles like"Look at this @rse" or "What a shame" or some such. I know there are folks who simply must read stories that start with "Shock Horror" and maybe posters who title their topics this way are hoping for wider readership (why?) but for the rest of us it's really unhelpful.

Meaningful titles please. Remmeber, there are only so many ads you can run with the word "SHAGGING" before people stop reading.