House Price Crash Forum
darwin

Irish Pm Brian Cowen Steps Down As Leader Of Fianna Fail

Misleading title, he is not stepping down as PM.

Why is the title misleading?

An interesting development after winning the vote of confidence as PM he then steps down as leader of the party.

March 11th is going to be interesting.

Is anyone campaigning in Ireland yet for default?

Why is the title misleading?

An interesting development after winning the vote of confidence as PM he then steps down as leader of the party.

March 11th is going to be interesting.

Is anyone campaigning in Ireland yet for default?

According to Sky news there is talk of a vote of no confidence on Tuesday. The current government isn't going to make it to March 11th. So does this then mean that a new government could knock back the IMF bailout?

I doubt it -- ROI is in such deep trouble that the IMF bailout is inevitable. They have been forced to use any money left to continue to bail out the banks - even the state pension fund so they will have little choice now.

Yes but couldn't there be talk of haircuts again?

No he won the vote of confidence to be leader of the party. He then decided that the media frenzy over his leadership and his failed plan to replace 6 ministers with young blood -- made his position as leader untenable. He never faced a vote of confidence as PM.

I have altered the title to be more accurate.

There is alleged to be a move by the other parties to have a vote of no confidence in him as PM next week.

I thought it had been a vote of confidence in the govt, I only heard half the report on the matter which said one Minister was going to vote against him and they had a majority of 2, I just assumed it was a vote of confidence in the govt. I got 2+2=57 bugger.

What is about assumption being the mother of all.....

EDIT: This is my forecast for 2011/2012 that once we get to democratic elections from Greece, Portugal to Ireland, we will get the election of a 'Default Party'. And in states such as Germany we may get the election of the 'No More Bailouts Party'.

God bless democracy!

I'm not sure Sinn Fein is committed to default, and nobody expects them to achieve power this time - but I guess March has some prospect of a haircut party entering government in europe. People outside politics seem to think the bank bailout was rubbish and the government is beneath contempt. Election results may be even more severe than predicted.

A SF tie-in with the rump of Fianna Fail in opposition could produce a weird mix in Ireland over the next few years.

No idea about Germany. Wonder if there's a decent blog out there?

It is going to be a challenge for the parties to produce manifestos, because the IMF and a few Germans are running the Irish economy.

So no promise of tax cuts or increased spending or anything to do with the economy or anything that costs money at all.

This could be the moment when the people of Ireland realise they are no longer a soveriegn state but IMFEU distressed economic area West Atlantic.

Very sad,

Edited by ralphmalph