House Price Crash Forum

Left-Wing Bias? It's Written Through The Bbc's Very Dna, Says Peter Sissons

The problem for righties is that facts tend to have a left wing bias.

No, the problem for the left is that facts have a right-wing bias. We've had over a century of 'progressive' politics and we've seen exactly what a disaster that's been... no-one who actually cares about the real world could be left-wing anymore.

As for BBC bias, you only need to ask one question to determine what the bias is: why would anyone on the right want to work for a bloated public-sector broadcaster funded by the threat of violence?

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You forget the reasoning behind this: because the right wing is happy to deny the masses access

to land and resources, so the people need compensating with social services, or they will

rise up & slit the throats of the 1% who own & deny them access to 97% of the land.

The hilarious thing about the arrangment is that the elites have convinced the masses fund this compensation themselves, by fining themselves for producing.

It's amazing what people will accept

Edited by Stars

As said the election was not a long time ago you can clearly see the bias before there simply was NEVER any bad news or the BBC would put a positive spin on it. Now their sith masters Labour are out of power it is open season on the tories/libs.

That is an extraordinary claim.

The economy has been in shreds for the last 3 years, and to pretend that the BBC hasn't covered the financial crisis in forensic detail, and to pretend that innumerable comedians and commentators on the BBC during that time haven't been given free reign to lambast the banks and Gordon Brown et al, is simply to claim that night is day.

This website has a confused constituency but it's fair to say there is a massive anti-BBC bias in people's perceptions here. The trouble is, people don't actually want the BBC to be impartial (which the BBC clearly strives to be). You want the BBC to be biased towards the right. So any even-handed argument comes across to you as a prejudiced one.

Just look at the make-up of all the politics programmes. There are always representatives of all main sides of an issue. If the BBC were really so shamefully biased, they wouldn't do this.

The other thing that irritates me is people pointing at a particular broadcaster or guest on a particular programme at a particular moment, sayig something perceived as "left wing" or biased, and extrapolating that into the belief that "the BBC is biased"..

Why, when people like Charles Moore, Quentin Letts, Peter Oborne, Matthew Parris etc are always on the BBC expressing (quite legitimately and often persuasively) their right-sided view of the world, are there never complaints on here that the BBC is biased towards the right? The fact is that they balance the righties with lefties but people who are anti-BBC simply screen out any evidence that challenges their own prejudice.

I love the BBC. I love the high quality of their programming, and the efforts they make to present a balanced picture of every issue. Just look at their radio networks and the amazing quality and variety. Look at the great documentaries and series on BBC3 and BBC4. Look at the innovative approach to programming on BBC1 and 2. And all this for - how much? A bit over £2 a week? The same prices as a single Sunday newspaper? No wonder we are the envy of the world.

Face the truth. Without the BBC, we would be a culturally impoverished nation. Imagine having to live with BSkyB instead -- and paying through the nose for it. ITV? Fox News? Jesus, give me strength. It would be a farkin nightmare.

A farkin nightmare, I tell you.

Edited by ProdigalGnome

The economy has been in shreds for the last 3 years, and to pretend that the BBC hasn't covered the financial crisis in forensic detail, and to pretend that innumerable comedians and commentators on the BBC during that time haven't been given free reign to lambast the banks and Gordon Brown et al, is simply to claim that night is day.

Where was the BBC _before_ the economy collapsed? Ah, promoting BTL and luvvying up to NuLab politicos.

Just look at the make-up of all the politics programmes. There are always representatives of all main sides of an issue. If the BBC were really so shamefully biased, they wouldn't do this.

The main three parties are all promoting pretty much the same policies, so if that's what you mean by 'main sides' then there's nothing to debate. And, if not, it might matter if more than three people watched those shows.

The vast majority of people watch BBC prime-time tat, which is so blatantly politically-correct lefty ***** that I can pretty much spot a BBC show just by a picture of the cast these days. As for quality, most of it is laughably bad compared to the best output of the evil private-sector US stations.

Edited by MarkG

here's how the BBC 'balances' spending your money on recruitment advertising

" Yesterday The Telegraph had a letter that gave information about how much money the BBC spent on job advertisements for the different newspapers: In The Guardian, the BBC spent a massive £231,944; in The Telegraph, £32,535; in The Times only £6,159. yet The Telegraph has by far the largest circulation of the three quality dailies, with The Times some way behind and The Guardian a poor third. Don't even ask about The Express because the BBC doesn't advertise at all there."

wonder why they don't advertise in the Mail, for 'balance' purposes, think they'll get a nice 'balance' of candidates from this 'balanced' advertising?

(quote from biased bbc blog)

Well done Peter Sissons and the DM.

It confirms what we all knew. Also, the chap above correctly points out that the BBC does allow views from all sides, however take question time, the right wingers are always demonised, the audience is always full of left wingers flapping there hands around like seals. Not to mention that the tough questions are rarely asked on a whole host of topics from islamic extreemisum to HPI, it's this dumbing down that also tarnishes it's reputation!

The BBC has a duty to be balanced, that means presenting both sides of the arguement.

If you want one side of the story read the Mail or the Telegraph but don't expect your ideology to go unchallenged in an unbiased institution.

And of course the creative side of the organisation will be left-leaning, it is a known fact that creative people tend to be more liberal.

The issue isnt so much the 'side of the story' but the stories they choose to report on, and the stories they choose to ignore. Maybe its easier to see through this nowadays with news websites having a 'most viewed story' counter. They have a spot for this on Sky, and the most viewed stories rarely tally with their headlines, ie what they think people should know about.

The incessant coverage of global warming a couple of years ago springs to mind.

Recycling and renaming the same press reports (ie sea levels rising) on an almost daily basis isnt news. Once its been covered, its been covered. You dont need to report on it day in and day out, because we already know it. Same with house price coverage.

Face the truth. Without the BBC, we would be a culturally impoverished nation. Imagine having to live with BSkyB instead -- and paying through the nose for it. ITV? Fox News? Jesus, give me strength. It would be a farkin nightmare.

...do you work for the BBC...?.... :rolleyes:

For the past two days the BBC has gleefully seized on the Coulson story to bury Johnson and Blair. It is this sort of bias that I complain about. So Coulson decided to go. Labour had to jump in and suggest that Cameron's decision taking was faulty. All very trivial and a touch of sour grapes having lost the election. But the BBC have to big it up with various interviews and suggest that somehow the Conservatives are going to be lame duck without him.

This is NOT impartial news

That is an extraordinary claim.

The other thing that irritates me is people pointing at a particular broadcaster or guest on a particular programme at a particular moment, sayig something perceived as "left wing" or biased, and extrapolating that into the belief that "the BBC is biased"..

The BBC were covering the financial crisis and then all of a sudden Robert Peston seemed to take a much lower profile. Then I heard shouty Arron on the BBC news channel business slot say "We have been told to report good news". - I think it was mentioned on here

This is a house price crash site and nobody could say the BBC were unbiased about property. They never have an alternate viewpoint to saying high house prices are good. How can an unbiased channel wheel out Ray Boulger at every opportunity? Now it's not just the VI guests, newsreader Jane Hill recently said something like "High house prices are a good news story".

Biased Broadcasting Corporation.

It shows just how right wing the people on here are if they think that the BBC is left wing.

There is only one left wing party with any seats and it's called the Green Party. They have one. That's how institutionally right-wing this country is.

Labour is a right wing party which throws a few more scraps from the rich man's table than the Tories. That doesn't make Left.

The BBC has a duty to be balanced, that means presenting both sides of the arguement.

If you want one side of the story read the Mail or the Telegraph but don't expect your ideology to go unchallenged in an unbiased institution.

And of course the creative side of the organisation will be left-leaning, it is a known fact that creative people tend to be more liberal.

Lefties are not liberal. Liberal means market driven. Lefty means government controlled. Lefties are not liberal, they are control freaks. Think Gordon Brown.

Facts have a liberal, not a lefty bias. Think liberal democracies vs Soviet Union.

State monopoly bureaucracies are less efficient than competing companies. Think Soviet cars (Trabant? Lada?) vs a simple Ford Mondeo.

Facts and history have a liberal "bias", since the renascence/enlightenment/industrial revolution.

It shows just how right wing the people on here are if they think that the BBC is left wing.

There is only one left wing party with any seats and it's called the Green Party. They have one. That's how institutionally right-wing this country is.

Labour is a right wing party which throws a few more scraps from the rich man's table than the Tories. That doesn't make Left.

From what I can see of them, The Green Party want us all to go back to a beard, sandals and duffel coat economy. Any luny fringe party can propose all sorts of unworkable policies because they know that they will never have to implement them.

Must have come as a severe shock to the LibDems to suddenly find that they were sharing power and could no longer content themselves with shouting yahboo from the sidelines

The vast majority of the UK is 'cuturally impoverished' as you put it. Even Italy, with most the media owned by Berlusconi, is far more culturally aware of itself and its history. I think you vastly overestimate the actual quality of BBC output.

It was best when it was small. BBC 1 and 2 and a few radio stations. Now, just like the rest of the public sector, its an obese, parasitic mess.

You forget the reasoning behind this: because the right wing is happy to deny the masses access

to land and resources, so the people need compensating with social services, or they will

rise up & slit the throats of the 1% who own & deny them access to 97% of the land.

So is a gentleman who nationalised all these land and resources and then live a 5 star lifestyle, maintain

a big army and tell his people they are the luckiest people in the world because they get to eat meat

a few times a year during his 'birthday' left wing or right wing?

Is a Labour voting BTL landlord who live off housing benefits (providing a service to the society)

and capital gains left wing or right wing?

Is somebody who tells other to pay tax to help other but then uses tax heaven himself left wing or right wing?

Is a ruler who effectively tax the top bits 20%, tax the middle bit 40% and then redistribute those to the bottom 10%

left wing or right wing?

Guest sillybear2

So is a gentleman who nationalised all these land and resources and then live a 5 star lifestyle, maintain

a big army and tell his people they are the luckiest people in the world because they get to eat meat

Is a Labour voting BTL landlord who live off housing benefits (providing a service to the society)

Is somebody who tells other to pay tax to help other but then uses tax heaven himself left wing or right wing?

Is a ruler who effectively tax the top bits 20%, tax the middle bit 40% and then redistribute those to the bottom 10%

left wing or right wing?

They just sound like a bunch of kleptocrats to me. A key element of any ideology ('left' or 'right') is blatant avaricious self-interest and rank hypocrisy, you then dress this up in fuzzy language ("trickle down", "social justice" etc) to make yourself sound virtuous so you feel good about yourself, this reduces cognitive dissonance (see the insomnia thread), add in a dose of self-justifying relativism and bingo you have a good ol' righteous philosophy.

In short people (and organisations) are simply self-seeking pricks, that's why indignant f****rs throughout history have done all manner of nasty things to each other.

left wing or right wing?

picture1np7.png

Phwoooor!! She'd get it! Well that's what I said last time I was handed one of those.

I started reading that article, and while it confirms everything I'd always suspected, and is obvious, about the BBC, I got bored of the miserable fart and stopped.

I'm surprised that no-one's mention the book 'Can We Trust the BBC'. I bought it on the strength of another poster's recommendation a while back. Not bad, mainly anecdotal but a decent read nonetheless. Would only serve to strengthen the opinions of those already of an anti-BBC stance.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Can-Trust-BBC-Robin-Aitken/dp/0826494277/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1295733780&sr=1-2

Guest sillybear2

:D Nice one. Puts me in mind of the 'Earth reborn' ending of 'Mars Attacks' (featuring Tom Jones):

I dunno about you but I'd dearly love to ruckus-up a Tom Jones concert just like those florid glass-headed martian f****rs, those little guys have impeccable judgement and taste.