House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

guitarman001

Any Engineers Abroad Here?

I was just scoping out jobs for fun (very happy with mine, but if house prices don't come down, me and missus thinking about moving abroad) - a fair amount of electronics design jobs in Europe and the U.S. - salaries much higher out of the UK of course (I could nearly double mine!!). Then I came across this:

http://mycareer.com.au/jobs/perth/engineering/electronics-engineering/

Unbelievable salaries (way more than electronics - perhaps should've taken that controls job with Rolls so long ago) - unfortunately I didn't pursue the 'electrical' bit of my degree after graduation. Possibly a bit late for that... and there seems to be very little electronics jobs over in Oz.

Anyway my question is - where do the other engineers here work? I know there are a lot of you here.. did most of you take the plunge and move elsewhere? I mention salary a few times here but that's not THE most important thing - my current job is very varied, the team is truly excellent, it's close to home etc (yes they do have a base in the U.S.....). Anyway just your take on things... it's 8am on Saturday morning and I've got bugger all else to do!

Not me but my friends.

Matt the guy who broke his spine (twice) in Yorkshire post apprenticeship makes £15/h this is old school engineering making venting systems.

Big Chris moved to Aus for an engineering job (something to do with mining) he told us he was making about £140K equiv.

An engineer I know works for Dalem in Korea, he wasn't even looking for a job, but he increased his salary by 500% doing this, but he has a lot of work experience mind.

Bugger for me is that a lot of these jobs are more 'electrical'/power engineering whereas mine is more 'high-tech' and a little less mobile. I'm 26, I could re-train. Would be a pain.... My salary is pretty good but then I compare it to some office workers (or see the council thread in the main forum) and I quickly realise that either they're paid too much or us engineers in the UK, too little.

Thanks for that, by the way... good to see what others are doing.

ken what are you doing now anyway? Did you leave accountancy, go on another bike trip, move abroad?

I work for a Qs these days doing costings stuff and tapping things into his excel worksheets doing odd presentations. Pay isn't bad I think the perk is for the first time I'm not working for a psychopath. The next adventure begins 10th Feb B) This is a preparation adventure though, to lay the foundations for a bigger one. If it works out 4-6 months will be put in this company to build up some £. Then I go out to play...

:D

Nothing worse than working for somebody you don't like - glad it's better now... but sorry, what is 'Qs?'

Your bike adventures sound awesome. I was watching 'Terminator:Sarah Conner Chronicles' the other day... and some guy who'd been hounded by a private organisation had to change his life. He said it was the best thing to happen to him, how many people really have the courage to step out of the machine and do what they really want, even if it ends up as a fail. I know right now I don't have that courage! Many wouldn't when faced with regular earnings and familiar surroundings... but one day, I hope.

I should say this guy in the series (which is awesome) also dressed as a woman to avoid detection, so make of that what you will... ;)

I was just scoping out jobs for fun (very happy with mine, but if house prices don't come down, me and missus thinking about moving abroad) - a fair amount of electronics design jobs in Europe and the U.S. - salaries much higher out of the UK of course (I could nearly double mine!!). Then I came across this:

http://mycareer.com....cs-engineering/

Unbelievable salaries (way more than electronics - perhaps should've taken that controls job with Rolls so long ago) - unfortunately I didn't pursue the 'electrical' bit of my degree after graduation. Possibly a bit late for that... and there seems to be very little electronics jobs over in Oz.

Anyway my question is - where do the other engineers here work? I know there are a lot of you here.. did most of you take the plunge and move elsewhere? I mention salary a few times here but that's not THE most important thing - my current job is very varied, the team is truly excellent, it's close to home etc (yes they do have a base in the U.S.....). Anyway just your take on things... it's 8am on Saturday morning and I've got bugger all else to do!

I'm a civil engineer heading to Brisbane in 4 weeks. Taking into account LAFHA allowance I'm looking at doubling my post tax salary from what I get here. Planning on going for chartered status over there.

Project I'll be working on is Cross River Rail

http://www.crossriverrail.qld.gov.au/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=62&Itemid=77

Thanks for that, bingobob! It's a permanent move then? Excited? Do you have family etc?

I've a mate in civil engineering who is considering the same, but after he gets chartered (he works for WSP?).

See... it's these sort of jobs that are wanted over there. Mine is just too high-tech :(:(

Bugger for me is that a lot of these jobs are more 'electrical'/power engineering whereas mine is more 'high-tech' and a little less mobile. I'm 26, I could re-train. Would be a pain.... My salary is pretty good but then I compare it to some office workers (or see the council thread in the main forum) and I quickly realise that either they're paid too much or us engineers in the UK, too little.

Although my degree's were in engineering I'm not strictly an engineer any more.. but like you I'm in 'high tech'.

All I can say say is that of the last three people who did my current job.. two are now working in the US on higher salaries for the equivalent role.

If you are not tied down (family) and you can find the same or better job abroad I would go.. you will really enjoy the experience and you will see the world from a whole new perspective.

The airport is always there if you change your mind, and the chances are if you have engineering/design experience in a pretty niche high tech area you shouldn't find it too hard getting a job again if you come back (employers will know how hard it is to find people with the relevant skills and will make roles available even if there isn't necessarily a requirement).

Either way.. good luck :)

I've yet to read your other post. In reply to your first, I'm an analogue IC design engineer. I design the chip schematics, do a little layout, interface with systems/test guys, do a little bit of testing myself etc.

Read your reply - thanks! So you stayed here? Why?

The only things holding me back are family (though not a biggie), girlfriend (!) and currently good job (been in it a year now, want to do at least 3 years and see where I am by the end of that).

Bugger about a lot of high-tech jobs is also that some recruiters ask for such specific experience, it's mental. For example, if you work in IC design but haven't done deep sub-micron (90, 45nm) then you've no chance with some employers - probably not the sort of employer I'd be looking at then.

Read your reply - thanks! So you stayed here? Why?

I'm not sure that I definitely will.. but for me it is more about my family than my career.

With regards to IC design opportunities, I would have thought the US is probably a good area, through Scepticus will tell you that Bristol is the heart and soul of IC design.

I'll PM you.

QS = quantity surveyor I work as his assistant.

I've yet to read your other post. In reply to your first, I'm an analogue IC design engineer. I design the chip schematics, do a little layout, interface with systems/test guys, do a little bit of testing myself etc.

Maybe you should defect to China... who knows maybe you'll get to work on the J21 fighter/bomber?

Thanks, libspero!

It seems to vary across the U.S. - some salaries are at least double while others are the same as here. In general better money-wise over there.

ken.... a lot of IC design is over in the East now - makes me a bit worried! There's always time to go back into the electrical side of things... still only 26. I say this but don't know if I would as I'm 'comfortable' now.

Couple good sites:

http://www.salarylist.com/all-electronics-engineer-real-jobs-salary.htm

http://www.glassdoor.com/index.htm

Thanks for that, bingobob! It's a permanent move then? Excited? Do you have family etc?

I've a mate in civil engineering who is considering the same, but after he gets chartered (he works for WSP?).

See... it's these sort of jobs that are wanted over there. Mine is just too high-tech :(:(

Yep wife and 2 daughters, I'm really looking forward to it, she's 90% ish laugh.gif

Just planning 4 years, see how things are after that, ideally HS2 will be kicking off by then and I can come back and go contracting for 10 years.

Have you looked at the job roles available for sponsorship in each state in Australia?

bingobob - good luck!!

I've only searched on Oz job websites in general, really need to take a more detailed look, to be honest...

Bardon - thanks so much! Wow, very impressive in all senses - I'll definitely keep an eye out.....

That opportunity could be a good one!! I wish I was in that sort of situation...!

I know I shouldn't complain about salary etc (certainly not about the job or the people which/who is/are great!) but RELATIVELY speaking... I'm on about the same salary as my uncle. He's a binman on £28k.... WHAT IS THE POINT!?

Oh, I'm analogue integrated circuit design.... and from what I see, most jobs over there really want you to be an electrical/controls engineer. I turned down an opportunity with Rolls Royce in Derby 3-4 years ago but almost regret it now as it would have gotten me into that sort of role. I don't know if it would be too late to get back into it as I've put a lot into the IC design side of things; ideally I could apply to any of these electrical roles in Oz, they would see my degree and experience and think 'hey, we can train this guy up!'. I think the electrical roles are also less prone to moving over to China than electronics is.

3 years ago I contacted this site 'thinkingaustralia' where they look for jobs over there for you and try to get you settled. I was seriously going to make a move at the time but decided to stay here for now. In any case I had more than enough points to get over there and the guy in charge of my case seemed more than confident he could find something for me; but aybe that was all BS so he could get his commission.

I'm 26 now and have planned to stay in my current job (which really is great!) for at least 2-3 years more when I'll be near 30 y/o. I don't know if that's pushing it too much, age-wise. I've heard Scepticus in in the same line of work as me, I will try to contact him.

One of my friends came back from Oz (6 month trip) prior to starting his civil degree... he was so sick of being back for months on end. I fully expect him to move there when he's chartered!