House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Mikhail Liebenstein

Earth To Get Second Sun This Year As Supernova Turns Night Into Day

If you have an android phone, you can download Google Sky Map and see where Betelgeuse is.

Has any clever Java bod managed to turn Stellarium into an android app yet?

If you have an android phone, you can download Google Sky Map and see where Betelgeuse is.

Don't say it three times though.

I love the fact that they use a picture from Star Wars. How crappy, not even an artists impression or a photshop job.

Also, strictly speaking, "Betelgeuse finally blows itself into oblivion", but it's 640 light years away. So unless someone has discovered eternal youth then we won't see it, or it's already happened so the past tense should be used throughout the article.

It's the second star to the right and straight on 'till morning.

I know my way around the night sky hardly at all, and much less than I'd like to[1], but Betelgeuse is pretty easily found.

If you can find Orion (which is a large, somewhat egg-timer-shaped costellation with three bright stars in a line in the middle -- those three stars being Orion's belt), then Betelgeuse is the top-left star in the egg-timer. It has a slightly reddish look.

Here's a picture of Orion:

orion-constellation.jpg

[1] Something like, "A classic is something everybody wants to have read, but no one wants to read" (Mark Twain).

I find it very sad that you'd need a gadget to find the most obvious star in the most obvious constellation in the sky.

I find it very sad that you'd need a gadget to find the most obvious star in the most obvious constellation in the sky.

I find it very sad that such smugness in science exists.

At the risk of hijacking the thread; does anyone actually read newpapers like this out of choice in order to keep abreast of current events? I mean, one of the stories on the side bar was about Peter Andre taking his bird to a hotel for her birthday - WTF! Does anyone actaually feel they need to know that? More importantly, what sort of journo actually thinks that anyone would be in the least bit interested?

Its LCD Tv and LCD journalism.

Lowest Common Denominator.

Oh I know but surely even that doesn't explain it. I can understand journos needing to dumb stuff down so the majority of the chav populous understand it or even take an interest to begin with but why is the story even written in the first place? Who cares that some vacuuous warbler (and a not very good one at that) takes his bird to a hotel for her birthday? What sort of person even thinks that someone would be in the last bit interested and would buy your paper to read something utterly as pointless as that? How does a boring and mundane event in someones life suddently become news worthy simply because the person concerned has a bit of public recognition? Loads of blokes take their birds out for their birthday but no one else cares. Just how mundane does a story involving a semi-famous person have to get before it's deemed non news worth? Will we see one headlined "Peter Andre crosses road" or, "Sienna Miller buys coffee"?

Coincidentally, I'm going out with a bird for a meal for her birthday tonight. I'm also a shit singer and have crap dress sense - do you think the Mail will write the story up tomorrow? How much would I get?

I was wrong, there clearly isn't a limit as to how boring and mundane something has to be to get in the papers. Three or four stories down from the Andre splash - "Two women chat at petrol station"!!!!!

Hang on a minute! One of those women is Denise Welch. A national treasure.

Good job Colleen's hubby wasn't there as he'd probably have tried to shag her.

Ok, so in typical daily mail fashion, "it could happen before 2012, or in the next million years" gains a certain degree of immediacy. But quite cool if it did happen (assuming it is safe).

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-1349383/Earth-second-sun-year-supernova-turns-night-day.html

I think we will be fine as It is 650 light years away, which is probably too far away to do us much harm.

Astronomers have previously said that any supernova explosion within 100 light-years of Earth would likely be devastating, but beyond 100 light-years, it's not known for sure what the effects might be. However, astronomers have also been keeping an eye on Eta Carinae, a potential supernova about 7,500 light-years away. One factor, astronomers say, is how powerful a given supernova is.

http://www.space.com/7734-explosive-nearby-star-threaten-earth.html

I think we will be fine as It is 650 light years away, which is probably too far away to do us much harm.

I thought the biggest long-distance hazard was the gamma-ray burst, which the article does not mention.

I thought that if it blows and we can see it, then what we are seeing is what happened hundreds of light years away? QED, we must be ok.

Clearly, I'm not an astro-physicist, but that's as I see it.

People love this 2012 nonsense. I'm Italian, and when I go to a book shop in Milan (or wherever in Italy) the number of titles on this topic are immense. Italians are well known for being conspiraloonlovers.

Hundreds of lightyears away so it'll take hundreds of years for any effects to reach us, because the fastest they can travel is at the speed of light. So anything that can screw us will at the time we see it, not when it actually happened.

Anyway, I'm not aware of any significant change in the status of Betelgeuse - it's been a supernova candidate ever since anyone worked out what a supernova was, with a completely unpredictable timescale. Like earthquakes and volcanoes, we don't know enough to predict them.

If it did go bang we wouldn't see it in the UK if it happened in the summer anwyay :( Orion's only visible from here during the winter months).

Hundreds of lightyears away so it'll take hundreds of years for any effects to reach us, because the fastest they can travel is at the speed of light. So anything that can screw us will at the time we see it, not when it actually happened.

Anyway, I'm not aware of any significant change in the status of Betelgeuse - it's been a supernova candidate ever since anyone worked out what a supernova was, with a completely unpredictable timescale. Like earthquakes and volcanoes, we don't know enough to predict them.

If it did go bang we wouldn't see it in the UK if it happened in the summer anwyay :( Orion's only visible from here during the winter months).

Of course, when 2013 arrives and Betelgeuse hasn't gone pop, astronomers (and scientists in general) will probably be derided as untrustworthy, chicken little doom-mongers by the Daily Mail's more obnoxious journalists. It's all part of their anti-science agenda.

Of course, when 2013 arrives and Betelgeuse hasn't gone pop, astronomers (and scientists in general) will probably be derided as untrustworthy, chicken little doom-mongers by the Daily Mail's more obnoxious journalists. It's all part of their anti-science agenda.

Not so much anti-science as bad attitude towards anyone more intelligent than they are. It's all part of the disturbing anti-intellectual, cool-to-be-fick attitude that's part of the problem we have here (and probably most other places). Doing anything clever is boring and sad, so presumably watching endless drivel on the TV and drinking cheap booze is interesting and not sad. Have you ever noticed that those people most fond of saying "Get a life!" seem to be the ones with the most pointless existences? The really depressing part about all of this is if you try to talk to kids about just about anything scientific before society has got to them too much they usually seem to find it really interesting and exciting.

Anyway, I was obviously wrong about us not seeing it here if it was in summer, because it would be bright enough to be seen during the daytime. And apparently it's been contracting, but that seems to have been known about for a while, and as far as I could tell we can't be sure if that's unusual for Betelguese.

Hang on a minute! One of those women is Denise Welch. A national treasure.

She's a pointless Geordie married to another pointless Geordie. I'm also a pointless Geordie which makes me as important and culturally significant as either of them (and a million times more so than Peter Andre) yet, despite scouring all the papers yesterday, I failed to notice the write up on me having a birthday dinner with some lass - even though she's way fitter than Andre's bird. Surely this is something of the utmost importance to todays socially aware chav? WTF is the world coming to? Suppose I'll just have to wait for the cover splash on one of them awful checkout rags then.

But in many ways, Denise Welch and Coleen Rooney can be compared to a Supernova.

Fat, bright orange, and ultimately disappointing when they bang.

Good one :)

However supernovae enrich the universe (everything heavier than iron comes from them), whereas all that lot do is generate tabloid headlines.

Good one :)

However supernovae enrich the universe (everything heavier than iron comes from them), whereas all that lot do is generate tabloid headlines.

Depends upon who's universe you are enriching.