House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ken_ichikawa

Mega Insomnia

Any cures for insomnia? Lately I have not been able to sleep, I spend all night watching the LEDs between winks of sleep on my alarm clock radio thingie.

Reading does not help, I often end up reading an entire book because of the inability to sleep.

No pills though I don't like such things or illicit drugs either (note smoking certain plants has zero effect on me)

Exercise also doesn't seem to be helping.

What doth HPC suggest??

Before I turn into this guy and start doing bad things.

tyler.jpg

I found something that works for pretty much anything. It keeps me awake when I am tired, gets me to sleep when I am not tired, gets rid of pain, gets rid of stress and I self medicate with it all of the time.........the answer, stella artois.

Any cures for insomnia? Lately I have not been able to sleep, I spend all night watching the LEDs between winks of sleep on my alarm clock radio thingie.

Reading does not help, I often end up reading an entire book because of the inability to sleep.

No pills though I don't like such things or illicit drugs either (note smoking certain plants has zero effect on me)

Exercise also doesn't seem to be helping.

What doth HPC suggest??

Before I turn into this guy and start doing bad things.

tyler.jpg

Get a 9-5 cubicle job - that should be enough to suck the life energy out of you

I assume your condition is not chronic, but if you fail to come up with a miracle cure and can't shake the curse ...

Diphenhydramine hydroxide - it's in nytol.

Amitriptyline - antidepressant in very low dose.

Zopiclone - standard sleeping pill.

Vary them to avoid building tolerance, and take a complete break from time to time.

Insomnia is one of those things you will probably fail to figure out. Hopefully it passes and the pills will be unnecessary. You may even conquer it by mind power, but you'll need lots of that to convince yourself the herbal/behavioural stuff is anything more than quackery.

In the end, it's often best to contain the beast by bribing your body to deliver the rest you need.

Get a 9-5 cubicle job - that should be enough to suck the life energy out of you

Got one already thanks. except for some reason I've only got 2 partitions.

Right ken, where do I start.

Right, firstly. couple of green bananas, plenty of green lettuce and a marmite sandwich before you go to sleep - that's about as well as you can do naturally. Avoid potatoes - they can do the opposite.

Washed down with half a pint of warm milk mixed with honey.

Do that for a week and there'll be no more probs. Uncle is a research Dr. The above is from him funnily enough, despite that fact that he works in pharmaceuticals. Don't take marmite if you may be having blood press problems - it's full of salt!!!! I don't do the marmite myself - just green bananas and lettuce and honey milk works for me.

Secondly, if that doesn't work, get the old Paul McKenna sleep like a log self-hyp CD - you might not be switching off properly.

Thirdly, relaxing classical music before you go to bed.

Finally - and I use this from time to time - a shot of brandy just before you retire (yeah, yeah, alcohol... but it works for me).

When I'm travelling on biz, I sometimes use the occasional Tazzy to defeat jet lag and knock my body into normal sleep patterns.

Hope that helps Ken.

Meditation... It involves work so people often dismiss it...

1. Imagine you are lying on the bottom of the sea, somewhere wonderful such as in the Caribbean or the Seychelles, and are looking up at the Sun shinning down through the sea towards you. Glimmering.

Hundreds of brightly coloured fish - different colours, different sizes are swimming into your vision, drifting pass your vision and out of your vision. Let them go.

Concentrate on the ones in the centre of your vision. Concentrate on their different speeds, on their different motions. Watch our shafts of light from the Sun above speckle on the water above your. Let the fish drift out of your vision.

The above requires imagination but the more imaginative you are the more you create the scene and the more you will relax and eventually drift off. In time, once repeated, you will create a sequence for you that will help you relax or sleep at a given time.

2. One of the reasons people cannot sleep is because they have so many thoughts going through their mind - usually their subconcious.

In many respects this is life standing on a platform of a railway station at night and watching an express train hurtle through at speed. The lights in the carriages are on and you can see that each seat is occupied by an individual. Each of those individuals is used. The entire train is filled with you - every seat in every carriage.

The images of you sat in every seat are a metaphor for every thought going through your subconcious each night when you try to sleep.

What you need to do is to empty the train by visualising yourself emptying every seat in every carriage. To do this you, like the sea meditation above, let this endless expres train hurtle into your vision, across your vision and out the other side. Focus on the train emptying, the seats becoming less filled in each carriage.

Let the train hurtle out of your mind, let the seats and carriages empty. Believe it or not but you will relax.

Do each of the above lying in bed. Be comfortable.

Turn off the clock radio - evidence that even tiny amounts of light interfere with sleep. (Also, some evidence that electrical fields near the head affect sleeping and health.)

Might try that one myself, cheers! :)

Hope I wake up before 8am as I must be at work by 10am tomorrow. :blink:

Not that I know of, there are rumours in the company that there will be layoffs soon though.

I used to have trouble sleeping when I was younger, looking back it was always worrying about things that did it. Always go to bed with a clear conscious.

I find hot milk with nutmeg grated over it helps. Often reading a book for ten minutes in bed helps too.

Failing that a bit of self abuse, immediately before trying to get to sleep, is a guaranteed sleep aid.

By coincidence I've just got over the same problem. I just couldn't sleep at night. It was as if I ceased to need more than a few hours sleep. The causes can be varied I'm sure. For instance, prescription steroids have this side effect. So a chemical imbalance can do it.

I tried alcohol and Nytol, and they do help but your mind suffers during the daytime. I couldn't think straight.

Relief came when eventually exhaustion set in and I got back to normal. I'm fine now.

If nothing else works, try reading the main forum for a few hours ;)

You could try Lemon Balm tea, it's well known for its calming, sedative properties. It can make some people very woozy though so take with care when you first try it. It should not be used with thyroid hormone treatment or other sedatives. For the Ladies, it should not be used during pregnancy or while breastfeeding. It is generally regarded as a safe herb.

http://lawyerswellbeing.com/blog/?tag=bedroom-light-and-depression

Sometimes going to bed just after a large meal can make you fall asleep as the blood goes to the gut to process it, like a sunday afternoon nap after a sunday roast.

A good massage can help relax as well as can some nookie for releasing tension. ;)

Falling asleep after a meal is a sign of something not good, cant remember what but not good.

Going to bed on a full stomach isnt good for you either although it is the only way that my dad gets a good sleep but gives me terrible acid.

I work long hours sometimes so am prone to bouts of insomnia. If I dont self medicate with stella then I bake. Quite a few times I have been wide awake at daft oclock and just go and bake a loaf or two or a cake. Takes my mind off things if I find something to do and daughter thinks it's great :D

Couldn't sleep, well I fell asleep pretty quickly but woke up about half an hour later, repeated this 4-5 times till I simply got up and read a book, then went for a ride in the icy conditions. Came back slept ok for a couple of hours then woke up again...

This is highly annoying as I'm getting increasingly crabby at people for undeserved reasons!

Couldn't sleep, well I fell asleep pretty quickly but woke up about half an hour later, repeated this 4-5 times till I simply got up and read a book, then went for a ride in the icy conditions. Came back slept ok for a couple of hours then woke up again...

This is highly annoying as I'm getting increasingly crabby at people for undeserved reasons!

welcome to the club my friend, I've been here all night and baked a nice loaf of white bread along with some shortbread :lol:

definately stella tomorrow.

I'll echo Durch's advice - no lights even LEDs, no electricals switched on, and most importantly no clocks as you do not want to knwo the time. Everybody wakes up several times during the night, the one guaranteed way to make sure that you don't just go back to sleep is letting your brain start on the mental arithmetic of "Right, it's 2.30am so I've had x hours sleep, I need to be up in x hours, so if I can get back to sleep in...." as you are then wide awake.

I've not had insomnia but was out of synch for several months - fighting sleep from 9pm, but always awake from 4 - 4.30am. Initially I was getting a cup of tea and reading the net but all that was doing was locking in those hours. So I stopped doing anything between waking and the alarm going off, just lying there with my eyes closed. Eventually, very slowly, it reset and usually now I sleep to the alarm or very nearly.

Which boils down to - decide when you want to be asleep and spend those hours in bed with your eyes closed. Your body will eventually get the message.

I've not had insomnia but was out of synch for several months - fighting sleep from 9pm, but always awake from 4 - 4.30am. Initially I was getting a cup of tea and reading the net but all that was doing was locking in those hours. So I stopped doing anything between waking and the alarm going off, just lying there with my eyes closed. Eventually, very slowly, it reset and usually now I sleep to the alarm or very nearly.

Its tax season though for you! <8 days left! :P

So it's not lack of exercise? This has been hampering me, however.... I really need to get off my @ss most nights and go do some sort of sport (gym is booooring) other than snooker lol..

A bedroom should only be for sleeping and sex. No TVs, no game consoles, no hi fis other than, perhaps, a radio for the morning or to listen to as you fall asleep.

You need to unwind before you go to bed for a good hour or so.

A big problem I think most of us have is the morning commute and we fret about not getting up on time, focussing on the coming commute.

We have created a crap life for ourselves in the UK.