House Price Crash Forum

December Retail Figures - Down 0.8%

HOLA441
HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-01-21/u-k-retail-sales-have-record-december-drop-as-snow-prices-daunt-shoppers.html

That's strange, I could have sworn that the television news channels were, at the time, full of interviews with retailers saying what a wonderful December they were having.

I remember that too..

They were saying something along the lines of 'shop till you drop, spend all your cash, get into debt - it'll all make Britain richer!' :blink:

HOLA447

December high street sales - Down 0.8%, making it the worst December on record.

I must confess that an 0.8% fall didn't seem like a lot to get worked up about, until I read this bit

"Sales fell 0.8 percent from the previous month".

HOLA448
HOLA449

The snow was genuinely pretty disastrous, though. Loads of people couldn't get to work for days at a time, and in places like Edinburgh and other parts of Scotland everything pretty much shut down for extended periods.

This time, the bad weather is a pretty decent excuse for poor economic performance.

i don't see how you can say that it caused house prices to drop, though....

HOLA4410
HOLA4411
HOLA4412
HOLA4413
HOLA4414
HOLA4415
HOLA4416

The snow was genuinely pretty disastrous, though. Loads of people couldn't get to work for days at a time, and in places like Edinburgh and other parts of Scotland everything pretty much shut down for extended periods.

This time, the bad weather is a pretty decent excuse for poor economic performance.

i don't see how you can say that it caused house prices to drop, though....

Meh. The roads were cleared here after a couple of days. Folks in Edinburgh must be getting soft. Too close to England, you see.

HOLA4417
HOLA4418
HOLA4419

Wandered through House of Fraser yesterday (its en route to the loo). Desperation in the tat department, with crockery and utensils dropped in price by half. Additional clothes rails, dumped in aisles making it difficult to walk through.

But prices are still far too high, for "premium" tat made in China. Need a new omelette gillet and cheese grater but not paying £20 or £12 for it, so left without buying.

HOLA4420
HOLA4421
HOLA4422

Wandered through House of Fraser yesterday (its en route to the loo). Desperation in the tat department, with crockery and utensils dropped in price by half. Additional clothes rails, dumped in aisles making it difficult to walk through.

But prices are still far too high, for "premium" tat made in China. Need a new omelette gillet and cheese grater but not paying £20 or £12 for it, so left without buying.

Question is - did you get lost in the womens lingerie dept again?

I blame it on the (realthing) "slow boats from China"

Coz of collapse in World shipping the ship owners have ordered all tankers/ships to run at 1/3-1/4 normal speed which means containers now take as long as the old C19th sailing clippers did to get here!

Edited by erranta

HOLA4423
HOLA4424
HOLA4425

How many plates and panini pressers does one person want/need?

“The bad weather disrupted a lot of consumption,” Philip Rush, an economist at Nomura International Plc in London, said before the report. “The consumer is especially hard pressed at the moment, with the brisk rate of inflation creating a further painful headwind.”

So our recovery is reliant on consumption.....keep on spending, your future security depends on you spending more. :huh: