House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
ralphmalph

This Is Hilarious

while the man who bought Britain for £43 million, Safi Qurashi, is serving seven years in jail in Dubai after being accused of bouncing cheques.

Quality.

Catching this on BBC news now. Modern day slavery. Not sure whether they said they face destitution or prostitution. One has a market value :) and they other doesn't :(

while the man who bought Britain for £43 million, Safi Qurashi, is serving seven years in jail in Dubai after being accused of bouncing cheques.

Quality.

That's cheering. I remember the "Wow, hasn't he done well!" articles at the time, when as far as I could see he'd paid silly money for a pile of sand.

Penguin claim that work on the islands has "effectively stopped". Mr Wilmot-Smith described the project as "dead".

Graham Lovett, for Nakheel, said the project was not dead but admitted it was "in a coma".

Is Mr Lovett a fan of Monty Python?

The word "hubris" comes to mind!

And "silly"! :huh:

Penguin claim that work on the islands has "effectively stopped". Mr Wilmot-Smith described the project as "dead".

Graham Lovett, for Nakheel, said the project was not dead but admitted it was "in a coma".

Is Mr Lovett a fan of Monty Python?

Or The Smiths?

This is even funnier reading it again.

And one of the Developers says if you leave the islands undeveloped they will just fall back into the sea, so a bit of a terminal coma really. And this was back in June:

A key developer on Nakheel’s ‘The World’ project has said the manmade islands are at risk of erosion if construction does not begin.

The CEO of Kleindienst Group, the developer behind the six-island Heart of Europe Project, said the islands off the coast of Dubai will be corroded by the sea if they remain undeveloped.

“Islands are land masses surrounded by the ocean, a moving body of water with waves created by tides and winds, and it is natural that edges of an island will be affected by these waves,” Josef Kleindienst said in an emailed statement to Arabian Business.

“If an island remains undeveloped and unmaintained, erosion will occur.”

http://www.arabianbusiness.com/the-world-at-risk-of-erosion-amid-stalled-construction-375140.html

With little business, it is trying to exit the contract, which involves paying an annual fee of just under £1 million to Nakheel.

Nahkeel say they will cash an advanced payment guarantee worth just over £1 million if that happens.

"This is a ten-year project which has slowed down," he said. "This is a project which will be completed."

He said Penguin would make money eventually. "That's the price Penguin makes to stay in the game," he said. "They have the potential to earn millions."

Got to love that, he fails to consider that they also have the potential to lose millions as well.

Another welcome stake through the hearts of the banks.

Nope a stake through the taxpayers, because the banks and their rich clients will HAVE to be bailed out of course. mad.gif

When I couldn't sleep one night there was a documentary on about how they build these things. The key to their future is a continuous programme of topping up the sand on the edges of the islands and dredging of the channels between them - basically what they dredge up goes back onto the edges of the islands. They probably haven't been arsed to do it.

This is even funnier reading it again.

And one of the Developers says if you leave the islands undeveloped they will just fall back into the sea, so a bit of a terminal coma really. And this was back in June:

I noted this gem "Islands are land masses surrounded by the ocean, a moving body of water with waves created by tides and winds,"

I learn something new every day. :)

If only the consultants buiding the islands has taken the "what is an ocean" course at Uni...

EDIT: remove media

Edited by dryrot

Makes you wonder about the safety of some of the tallest buildings out there. IIRC the bedrock in NYC is ideal for skyscrapers, i doubt sand has similar stability properties.

I worked in Abu Dhabi a couple of years ago for a large bank. The Arab chap there told me new buildings were only given a 15 year initial life and then were reviewed by the government periodically to determine if they needed replacing or not.