House Price Crash Forum
NW11

Sterling, Ftse, Gold, Silver All Plummeting

What on earth is going on right now with the FTSE, Gold, and sterling?

Most of you and I clever chaps have our savings invested in anything other than our local high street bank. EVERYTHING is collapsing in value yet inflation is rocketing.

Can anyone please offer an explanation for this nonsense and suggest when things will go back to normal?!

clever chaps have our savings invested in anything other than our local high street bank.

EVERYTHING is collapsing in value

Contradiction ?

Most of you and I clever chaps have our savings invested in anything other than our local high street bank. EVERYTHING is collapsing in value yet inflation is rocketing.

Can anyone please offer an explanation for this nonsense and suggest when things will go back to normal?!

What is "normal?"

The markets have been over inflated for a while, are not in fact normalising right now?

What is "normal?"

The markets have been over inflated for a while, are not in fact normalising right now?

+1

The market is pricing in aggressive rate rises...simple as (Pure spin).

GBP rises (due to rate rises) FTSE 100 falls as most derive earnings from non GPB products, Gold/Silver priced in $.

Although don't count on said rate rises appearing as soon as forecast! The BOE/Government have clearly embarked on a inflate the debt away stance.

The cleaver ruse to introduce factors month, after month, after month.... that can be called "One Off's" allows them to let inflation rip!

Fuel Duty Rises,

Bad Weather,

Global forces,

falling public sector employment,

VAT increase

Unemployment will keep a cap on "Wage Inflation".... just standards of living will fall.

I am a Bull on GBP right now though, regardless despite the inflation stats...with aggressive benefit cuts, good work ethic...I actually think we will fair better than most EU states.

Edited by Yoss

What's the problem? FTSE and Gold are well up YOY. You need to stop getting so excited about short term swings.

Gold has lost the entire quarter of gains. That's hardly being excited.

GBP rises (due to rate rises) FTSE 100 falls as most derive earnings from non GPB products, Gold/Silver priced in $.

Although don't count on said rate rises appearing as soon as forecast! The BOE/Government have clearly embarked on a inflate the debt away stance.

The cleaver ruse to introduce factors month, after month, after month.... that can be called "One Off's" allows them to let inflation rip!

Fuel Duty Rises,

Bad Weather,

Global forces,

falling public sector employment,

VAT increase

Unemployment will keep a cap on "Wage Inflation".... just standards of living will fall.

I am a Bull on GBP right now though, regardless despite the inflation stats...with aggressive benefit cuts, good work ethic...I actually think we will fair better than most EU states.

Best response yet., thank you. That's what i don't understand, when the government have decided inflation is the policy of choice then what are commodities being dumped so agressively. I very much doubt we'll have anything close to a 1% additional rise in 2011. What exactly in the grand scheme of things. QE2 more than makes up for that.

Two complete contradictions.

Edited by fellow

People are scared. They think another crash is about to occur and are moving into cash.

Sterling is falling - is it - because many other countries are raising IRs. The US and UK are playing the game of devalue the currency and hope to be last man standing in order to get exports leading a recovery... and inflating away the debt of the feckless.

What is "normal?"

This is not normal! Not even a correction. It is some stupid paranoia. with the vast amount of QE, ZIRP and inflation going around, commodities and the FTSE should be spearheading the lead.

Guest spp

There you have it.

The Inflation genie is out of the bottle...let the games begin!

Best response yet., thank you. That's what i don't understand, when the government have decided inflation is the policy of choice then what are commodities being dumped so agressively. I very much doubt we'll have anything close to a 1% additional rise in 2011. What exactly in the grand scheme of things. QE2 more than makes up for that.

Comods aren't being dumped! It is just GBP is about to get a lot stronger!

Few countries have a more talented/flexible/mobile/inventive/educated & indebted work force!

These heavy falls are outrageous and have no basis. i want the markets to know that I am incandescent with rage. They need to correct themselves and do it quickly. Do not be concerned, I am still well within the gravy but recent market volatility has certainly displeased me. I wasn't factoring a rate raise before May at the earliest. I can only hope those silly billies lose their shirts.

Edited by Earthling10

These heavy falls are outrageous and have no basis. i want the markets to know that I am incandescent with rage. They need to correct themselves and do it quickly. Do not be concerned, I am still well within the gravy but recent market volatility has certainly displeased me. I wasn't factoring a rate raise before May at the earliest. I can only hope those silly billies lose their shirts.

The heavy falls ARE the correction you tool.

Isn't expecting the market to behave rationally a bit irrational?

isn't this tongue in cheek?

There you have it.

The Inflation genie is out of the bottle...let the games begin!

Inflation without wage inflation, will feel like deflation!

The last 10 years have UK household income/expenditure on food/fuel at historic lows, that will change... but the wage increases (aka 70's) will not come to save us. The world is a bigger place now.

Inflation without wage inflation, will feel like deflation!

Isn't deflation only a problem if you're over leveraged though? If everything is getting cheaper, assuming you can keep your job, then it's good - your wages go further.

Inflation just screws everyone, except those rich enough to protect themselves from it.