House Price Crash Forum
Topher Bear

Primary School Trip 97 Quid

The only trips we ever had were exchanges to France and Germany. Did the French one at 14 - cost of travel (train and ferry) £9 which was quite a bit then. A mite stressful for most of us who'd never been abroad before ( mid 60s) going to stay with a family we'd never met for 3 weeks.

OTOH it was fantastic for the languages and unlike today everything felt excitingly 'foreign' then - everything was different, cars, things in the shops, everything. Nowadays you see the same stuff everywhere. One of my strongest memories of that trip was the journey to the family's flat (Paris) after arrival - squashed right up to me on the underground was an old hag with one solitary brown tooth breathing ferocious amounts of garlic. You could imagine her sitting by the guillotine with her knitting. I was starting to wonder what the hell I was coming to. :P

There was a trip to Russia when I was doing A level but since it cost £60 I didn't even ask my folks. Russian teacher was a mite peeved that none of us were going - mind you there were only 6 of us doing Russian A level.

I suspect that a lot of these trips are just a free holiday for the teachers.

Many of them are not educational.

The long list of fatalities above shows that the teachers are not looking after the kids, just out to enjoy themselves.

Not sure that's quite fair. Colleague of mine has a daughter who's been teaching just a few years - she's accompanied lots of school trips, largely because so many of the older married teachers, particularly those with kids, don't want to spend their holidays doing this sort of thing.

While she certainly enjoys some aspects, it's bloody hard work, certainly not a relaxing jolly, trying to supervise a load of 14-ish boys who are determined to get hold of alcohol and get up to all sorts regardless. She had a massive headache with one kid recently, caught nicking something from an airport shop shortly before they were due to board the plane.

'Never again' was the general tone. But because she's relatively young/single she always felt pressured to 'volunteer' for these things.

Edited by Mrs Bear

I suspect that a lot of these trips are just a free holiday for the teachers.

I remember on my trip, when the noise level in our dorm got too great in the evening (after lights out), one of the teachers would be sent to quell the noise. I distinctly remember one of the teachers wearing a crushed velvet smoking jacket. The female teacher would be wearing evening dress type clothing.

I wondered what kind of evening they were having. It was clearly better than the time we were having.

Me too. S.S. Uganda. Late January 1979 to early February. Malta, Egypt, Isreal etc.

This was during the "winter of discontent", so it was a good time to be leaving the country!

LINK

interesting link Bart, but it seems they couldn't save the British India's Uganda and Nevassa ships from demolition.

interesting link Bart, but it seems they couldn't save the British India's Uganda and Nevassa ships from demolition.

I hadn't realised she'd lasted quite so long though. I'd always assumed she'd been scrapped shortly after her service in the Falkland's War.

Two years later, she was laid up, rusting, in the River Fal and despite efforts to keep her steaming was eventually sold for scrap and, rebadged as the SS Triton, taken on her final voyage to Taiwan (no school children aboard this time - and a crew of just 21) where she anchored awaiting breaking.

She was driven ashore by Typhoon Wayne on 22 August 1986 near Kaohsiung, Taiwan and there she lay until broken up in 1992.

Had a couple of trips to France for an exchange (I don't know how much that cost, but I was at school in Plymouth so it was just the ferry over there). Got dragged up onto Dartmoor for a geography field trip too, seemed to wind up in the middle of an Army exercise.

I hadn't realised she'd lasted quite so long though. I'd always assumed she'd been scrapped shortly after her service in the Falkland's War.

Hmm sad end to a great little ship. sad.gif

Our daughters primary school trip is going to cost us £97!

How on earth can we save for a deposit if we have to keep paying these costs.

What is more important? A school trip or a stable roof over my daughters head?

A roof over your head is more important, but stop whining and pay the 97 quid for her school trip,

if your saving for a deposit then 97 quid isnt going to put you out.

"have to keep paying these costs" - Do you have to pay £97 for school trips each month or something ?

"have to keep paying these costs" - Do you have to pay £97 for school trips each month or something ?

Hahaha have you not read the rest of the thread? Soon it will be £1k + for a ski trip for each of the little darlings, then there is that archaeological trip to the middle east, then the polar bear sighting cruise at one of the Poles, etc etc etc. Give them a paper bag and some dirt I say.

Not sure that's quite fair. Colleague of mine has a daughter who's been teaching just a few years - she's accompanied lots of school trips, largely because so many of the older married teachers, particularly those with kids, don't want to spend their holidays doing this sort of thing.

While she certainly enjoys some aspects, it's bloody hard work, certainly not a relaxing jolly, trying to supervise a load of 14-ish boys who are determined to get hold of alcohol and get up to all sorts regardless. She had a massive headache with one kid recently, caught nicking something from an airport shop shortly before they were due to board the plane.

'Never again' was the general tone. But because she's relatively young/single she always felt pressured to 'volunteer' for these things.

Is it just all peer pressure? Originally foreign trips were to improve language, others were geographical, historical etc. I fail to see how skiing fits in with that, and why so far away?.

My guess is that the Head hears that so and so school are going to Borneo etc. and decides that they must emlate them. Then teachers and parents are pressured into paying for it.

Well with a Typhoon called 'Wayne' hitting the old ship, it is clear modern times were catching up with it.

We've all been hit by a Typhoon Wayne in the last few years!

Just hope we don't go to war with the Argies soon. We will be short of hospital ships! Being a hospital ship is the kiss of death to a boat. A similar sad end for one of the Titanics sister ships (might have been the Brittanic) now at the bottom of the Med.

Edited by Sir John Steed