House Price Crash Forum
Topher Bear

Primary School Trip 97 Quid

The only school trips I recall were four hours on a coach, an hour looking round some Roman ruin, half-an-hour eating sandwiches, then another four hours on the coach back home. The Roman ruin bit was tedious but I bloody loved the rest of it.

I went on the SS Uganda in the early 80's with my primary school, it was later used in the falklands

We flew to malta, cruised to crete, cruised to egypt, cruised to athens, flew home

It was worth it though cos we did a project/diary on it

£200 all in

Yup me too. Also I think my parents paid so much a week towards it. Train to Southampton, then Gib, Malta, Crete, Athen supposed to go to Istanbul but cancelled due a plague outbreak or something, so ship docked at Santorin, Flew back on Dan Air Comet from Venice airport!

Edited by Sir John Steed

Wow, this has generated a lot of replies in a very short time.

The trip is 3 days I think, locally with activities such as pond dipping and canal walking.

Comes out about £30 a newt, and £3.50 each for a brace of tadpoles.

Edited by juvenal

The only school trips I recall were four hours on a coach, an hour looking round some Roman ruin, half-an-hour eating sandwiches, then another four hours on the coach back home. The Roman ruin bit was tedious but I bloody loved the rest of it.

We did castles ... Goodrich is the one I remember.

Broken abbeys, roman ruins, anything that was vaguely resembling a pile of old bricks.

We went on loads of trips in secondary school...

But primary school was a coach trip to the local secondary school swimming pool. Yack.

We went all of 14 miles to Chessington Zoo for the day :lol: It was just a Zoo then as well.

I did the Chessington outing as well! Highlight was a chimp which flung (and hit) a bus driver with a turd, and an Orang treating himself to a Barclays....

Girls from a public school near here were recently collecting money in Morrisons for 2 causes - one was charitible ( I forget which charity ) , the other cause was a school hockey tour to South Africa.

I was incensed at the time and should have written to the school, but I didn't bother. How DARE they beg from the public for subsidies for school trips ?

Haha reminds me of some kids in Archway (a rough district of London) who approached me on General Election day 1997 saying they were collecting money to buy a leaving present for their teacher. I said if they could show me a letter from their school saying this, I would give them something. They looked crestfallen and then one said 'who did you vote for? Was it conservative?'. :lol: State school anti-tory propaganda obviously working well there!

i'm not suprised TBO

I went on my first holiday in the UK last year (caravan in Cornwall) as the family are curtailing unneccesary expenditure (previously the wife insisted all her annual leave was to be spent overseas as otherwise 'she wasn't on holiday'). I was shocked at how expensive (and sh*ttie) the day excursions were for a family of 3 - £50-60 each outing! We need to lose this treasure island attitude.

I did the Chessington outing as well! Highlight was a chimp which flung (and hit) a bus driver with a turd, and an Orang treating himself to a Barclays....

I can`t remember anything about the zoo but remember clearly a whole bunch of kids being stung by wasps in the car park whilst eating jam sarnies. Maybe I also saw Mr Orang bashing one out and erased the trauma from my mind at such a tender age :lol:

Come to think of it.. I am wary of hairy people with fake tans.

Girls from a public school near here were recently collecting money in Morrisons for 2 causes - one was charitible ( I forget which charity ) , the other cause was a school hockey tour to South Africa.

I think you will find that public schools ARE registered as charities! :huh:

The best day out, we had at school was a day out at an Army barracks. We tackled assualt course and even went on the rifle range. Really enjoyed it, and for a while seriously considered signing up. School trips were less health and safety conscious then, kids were expendable! laugh.gif

I recall a week in Switzerland by rail / coach in around 1973. No idea what it cost. All I remember is the revolting chocomilk on the European trains.

Wondering how many other HPC types are of the age, when educational school cruises were all the rage. I went on a fortnights cruise on the SS Uganda and we did most of the med!

I missed out on that by a year or two, I was gutted.

Still, the sixth form canoeing down the Ardeche (whilst still pissed from the night before) trip helped to make up for it.

Our daughters primary school trip is going to cost us £97!

How on earth can we save for a deposit if we have to keep paying these costs.

What is more important? A school trip or a stable roof over my daughters head?

Depends where they're going. Are they skiing in Snowdonia or the new Zealand? My advice is to bite the bullet and pay the costs. School trip, £97, memories, pricesless. Besides why did you have more than one daughter if you were too cheap to double up payments when costs came around. Treat them you swine.

Edited by Earthling10

Only did three school trps in the 1950's

Bristol Zoo and Wells cathedral in 1953, cost 19/6

Paris 1955, cost £21

Stratford on Avon 1959, don't know what it cost but about £4

The only trip I went on at Primary School was a day out at the Woolwich Ferry. For 3 hours we all watched it going back and forth counting the vehicles going on and coming off. My Mum had to pay the cost of sixpence return on the 669 Trolley Bus.

How they spread their wings today. :)

Chedworth Roman villa - awesome trip. Victorian sweets at Ironbridge. Walks by the water at Maldon. Happy days.

Egg sandwich explosion at the city farm. Not so good.

I was incensed at the time and should have written to the school, but I didn't bother. How DARE they beg from the public for subsidies for school trips ?

Point them to the nearest bank headquarters for them to rattle their tins inside there. They have plenty of money.

I am an 'elderly' (55) parent with a 10 year old and an 8 year old .

My kids dont go on school trips - I can't really afford to send them both - but that is not the only reason:

March 2010 17 y old girl dies in Scotland and 11 injured when coach crashes in blizzard while on school trip to Alton Towers

April 2010 17 year old girl dies in tent on school trip to Snowdonia.

June 2010 14 year girl from fife dies on school trip to London

2008 26 pupils struck down with heat stroke while visiting DEATH VALLEY.

November 2008 13 y old boy drowns in canoe at Powys

2008 12 year old boy falls to death while on school trip in Austrian Alps.

2008 16 year old put on critical list after falling30ft out of Venice hotel balcony while on trip with school choir but goes on to survive.

Dec 2008 A level student dies in Russian hospital after falling ill on school trip.

2007 A 14 year old school girl dies of cardiac arrest on Dartmoor during ten tors after teacher refused tearful pleas from pupils to abandon due to extreme weather.

2006 14 year old boy dies in coach crash while on school skiing trip to Austira

2005 14 y o nipper dies caving in Yorkshire

December 2004 school orchestra in coach crash at Dijon. 15 y old girl dies another pupil has hand amputated. 19 injured. Coach driver charged.

2002 15 year old boy with learning difficulties hit by 110 mph train after he ‘wandered off’ while on school trip

May 2002 10 y.o boy drowns Lake District - teacher jailed for manslaughter

2002 16 year old lad on school trip drowns in Brecon Beacons. Verdict ‘unlawfully killed'

October 2002 a 13 and 14 year old 'washed away' to their deaths while on a school 'river walk’ with teachers.

2000 15 year old girl hits tree and dies while skiing with school in USA

1999 13 year old drowns at Le Toquett - teacher charged with manslaughter.

The one that always gets me:

1996 13 y old girl on school trip to Brittany raped and suffocated in her dorm bed while her teachers snoozed in the next room.

If you have have read all that (and there is a lot more on Google) you might notice a recurring theme - one of negligence.

Fact is I just dont trust other people with my kids.

I don't think they look out for them the way me and the missus do ..because they are not their kids and anyway the teachers are out on a jolly too.

Being an older father might have something to do with it, I tend to look at twenty something Teachers and think 'They're just a bunch of kids themselves, who is going to look after them?'

What I say to my Kids is this:

'I'm your Dad and its my job to do the best I can to see you get to the age of 18 in one piece. After that you can do what you like and go where you like - Except you will have to pay for it.'

Wondering how many other HPC types are of the age, when educational school cruises were all the rage. I went on a fortnights cruise on the SS Uganda and we did most of the med!

Me too. S.S. Uganda. Late January 1979 to early February. Malta, Egypt, Isreal etc.

This was during the "winter of discontent", so it was a good time to be leaving the country!

book_cover.jpg

LINK

Can you compete with a whole day at the High Wycombe Chair Museum? 5 miles away. Mind you, it didn't cost anything.

Another advantage is that you're never short of anywhere to sit.

I can beat the lot of you:

How about a day trip to Skelmesdale (by coach) to see a 'new town'

******in ace it was!

The highlight of the trip was watching the traffic lights change.

I've never heard of 'educational cruises'. Our Winter of Discontent was real.

Educational cruise ships

I never realized there was such a long history behind it.

I suppose in a sense, the cruise I went on wasn't much more educational that some of these modern trips, although it did broaden my outlook a bit. It (rather pathetically) remains the one and only time I've ever been abroad.

I suspect that a lot of these trips are just a free holiday for the teachers.

Many of them are not educational.

The long list of fatalities above shows that the teachers are not looking after the kids, just out to enjoy themselves.