House Price Crash Forum
Topher Bear

Primary School Trip 97 Quid

Our daughters primary school trip is going to cost us £97!

How on earth can we save for a deposit if we have to keep paying these costs.

What is more important? A school trip or a stable roof over my daughters head?

Make and stand now or she will expect to go to all the trips come secondary school. Sking, mountain climbing in Borneo and all of those types of trips.

I was asked to cough up £450 for an adventure week away with the school but had to put my foot down. I have 3 kids so cant afford for them all to do it. Of course it caused a full blown row because Tarquin and Jemima were going :angry:

We had a letter home last year for our 13 year olds 5 day ski trip (2days of which are coach traveling) informing us the school had kept costs to a minium and this years trip is only....... £1100 !!

We had a letter home last year for our 13 year olds 5 day ski trip (2days of which are coach traveling) informing us the school had kept costs to a minium and this years trip is only....... £1100 !!

This is nothing new, the teachers get a free ski/booze/sex trip. Oh, I do hope you didn't send your teenagers on school ski trips, see the above post about managing expectations.

This is nothing new, the teachers get a free ski/booze/sex trip. Oh, I do hope you didn't send your teenagers on school ski trips, see the above post about managing expectations.

The letter was promptly dupmed in the bin by the Mrs - Followed by a good few obscenities I must add !

Is it in school hours? You can only be asked for voluntary donations for trips within that time. The rules can be seen towards the end of chapter 2 in http://media.education.gov.uk/assets/files/pdf/h/hspv2.pdf and its remarkable how many schools ignore them.

Edited by eek

I was privately educated in the early 1990s. The most extravagant trip we went on was a geography field trip to north Wales. It was fun and educational and I'm pretty sure was relatively inexpensive. Many parents max themselves out to privately educate their children in the first place. I still get sent newsletters by my old school and am shocked to see they now organise rugby trips to Argentina, jungle trekking in Borneo and bike trips in Malawi now being organised by the school. The cost must be astronomical on top of the fees. This is totally inappropriate for the peer-pressure reasons cited above. I had no idea that this kind of stuff was now happening in the State sector, especially the trips with zero educational merit such as skiing.

I remember going to the Isle of wight for a week...now even the state schools are going to places like China, Cuba, New York....costing a thousand pounds. :o ...how can some families afford this? I am sure some must go into debt to pay to send their children there, hard choices to make.

What's that in old money?

I've really lost the value of money as everything is going up week on week.

I remember going to the Isle of wight for a week...now even the state schools are going to places like China, Cuba, New York....costing a thousand pounds. :o ...how can some families afford this? I am sure some must go into debt to pay to send their children there, hard choices to make.

Bank of Grandparents in many cases

What's that in old money?

I've really lost the value of money as everything is going up week on week.

The value of money = how long and how much effort it takes to earn it.....gives you some kind of idea as to whether it is worth it. ;)

Wow, this has generated a lot of replies in a very short time.

The trip is 3 days I think, locally with activities such as pond dipping and canal walking. I think it is over the weekend but cant be sure. I'll look into that. Though I see compared to some its cheap, though my thoughts are as you say, what comes next and 2 second child to in through it all.

Essentially the system is, if you don't get on the ladder before having kids you never will, there costs prevent you saving! It has prompted me to finally write my letter to pm and deputy!

Wow, this has generated a lot of replies in a very short time.

The trip is 3 days I think, locally with activities such as pond dipping and canal walking. I think it is over the weekend but cant be sure. I'll look into that. Though I see compared to some its cheap, though my thoughts are as you say, what comes next and 2 second child to in through it all.

Essentially the system is, if you don't get on the ladder before having kids you never will, there costs prevent you saving! It has prompted me to finally write my letter to pm and deputy!

Being off the ladder at present might not be such a bad thing

Wondering how many other HPC types are of the age, when educational school cruises were all the rage. I went on a fortnights cruise on the SS Uganda and we did most of the med!

My boy is booked to do the Isle of Wight trip this year.

1 week = £250.00 (Primary school).... I am fortunate enough to able to afford this but I am sure there is financial assistance available if you approach the school. Don`t quote me but the wife heard it through the witches cauldron at pick up time.

Wondering how many other HPC types are of the age, when educational school cruises were all the rage. I went on a fortnights cruise on the SS Uganda and we did most of the med!

We went all of 14 miles to Chessington Zoo for the day :lol: It was just a Zoo then as well.

We went all of 14 miles to Chessington Zoo for the day :lol: It was just a Zoo then as well.

Oh we went to Whipsnade. Also recall a day trip to London, the climax being an outing to the Transport Museum which at that time was in Clapham. Remember seeing the Mallard, that long ago I'm amazed it still wasn't in service! laugh.gif

Can you compete with a whole day at the High Wycombe Chair Museum? 5 miles away. Mind you, it didn't cost anything.

Girls from a public school near here were recently collecting money in Morrisons for 2 causes - one was charitible ( I forget which charity ) , the other cause was a school hockey tour to South Africa.

I was incensed at the time and should have written to the school, but I didn't bother. How DARE they beg from the public for subsidies for school trips ?

I went on the SS Uganda in the early 80's with my primary school, it was later used in the falklands

We flew to malta, cruised to crete, cruised to egypt, cruised to athens, flew home

It was worth it though cos we did a project/diary on it

£200 all in

Girls from a public school near here were recently collecting money in Morrisons for 2 causes - one was charitible ( I forget which charity ) , the other cause was a school hockey tour to South Africa.

I was incensed at the time and should have written to the school, but I didn't bother. How DARE they beg from the public for subsidies for school trips ?

They should really offer a service like washing your car for a fiver or something, but not plain old begging, thats awful

Edited by Patfig