House Price Crash Forum
7clubs

How To Short Australian Banks?

Do you think their share prices will fall with falling property values?

What is your reasoning? I must admit I have no idea about Oz banks... they haven't fallen yet?

IG Index (spreadbetting) is good for shorts.

Do you think their share prices will fall with falling property values?

What is your reasoning? I must admit I have no idea about Oz banks... they haven't fallen yet?

IG Index (spreadbetting) is good for shorts.

My views are entirely unscientific and based on having lived through Australia's debt binge. The major banks have massive exposure to the property market, as well as to crazy unsecured personal debt - as an anecdote, an 18 year old I employed, 2 months out of school, was offered a $50k loan to buy a new ute (pick-up), others had numerous loans for cars, bikes, boats and assorted tat. Wages have held up well there for now, but this has just allowed the debt numbers to get even bigger. I also have relatives who are seeing 50%+ falls from peak in the realised value of their home.

Spread-betting looks a bit hair-raising, but I will investigate. I guess I wanted to know if there was a pleb's way of, say, buying some bank shares on the expectation of them falling, and then waiting for them to drop and being able to cash in, if that makes sense.

To my (ignorant) mind, the only flaw in the plan is what the government might do to prop up the banks and the effect thereof on share prices. For sure, they would do everything in their power to prevent the average Aussie from realising what a financial disaster-zone that is their country and, by extension, their banking system.

I guess I wanted to know if there was a pleb's way of, say, buying some bank shares on the expectation of them falling, and then waiting for them to drop and being able to cash in, if that makes sense.

Why on earth would someone want to do that? It would be throwing money away

PLEASE do not buy any sort of shares until you know which way is up. Open a dummy account and play

Why on earth would someone want to do that? It would be throwing money away

PLEASE do not buy any sort of shares until you know which way is up. Open a dummy account and play

Clearly, what I wrote did not make sense!

Doesn't seem to be a tab for Oz in IG Index - still none the wiser. Anybody shorting the banks over there/know how?

I did look at your spread-betting suggestion, but couldn't find a way to do it, either.