House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

copydude

7 Million I Diots Bought I Pads

Apple Sells a Crazy 7 Million iPads For Record Earnings

Link

If you were wondering just how huge the iPad was this holiday, the answer is very. Apple sold 7.33 million tablets last quarter on the way to a record profit of $6 billion.

Record profit and sales was unsurprisingly matched by record revenue, which at $26.74 billion nearly doubles last year's mark of $15.68 billion

But, that's still a long way behind the iPod and iPod Touch. (19 million units.) Probably because you can use it with one finger. It's the iDoh.

People want dumber and dumber products, that's for sure.

No wonder Steve Jobs has taken sick leave.

I have one and I love it.

I travel a lot and rather than buying a book for the journey which then gets chucked/given away, I now just download an ebook to the ipad. Also means I don't have to take the laptop to check 'tinernet and has the added bonus of being big enough to watch TV shows/films on.

Another bonus being the 3g connectivity, even most back waters these days have 3g, so even if there is no wifi I can still see people moaning on HPC!

Edit - [sp]

They get a kick out of buying them, good for them.

I know one gadgets-obsessed family, they do not have any problem about what to buy each other at Christmas like the rest of us.

The bling factor

I know people who have never bought a record or music track and are basically uninterested in music but were compelled to buy an ipod. WHY? Well to show it off.

It’s the same with designer anything, cloths, shoes, watches, jewelry. Hows a £50k watch tell the time much better than a £50 watch?

These things are not bought for their use or intrinsic value but are there to show others you have money.

Anyway I like apple for one simple reason, they innovate (and charge you though the nose). I really like my HTC desire which gives me the internet everywhere but it wouldn’t exist without apple. So good on them and their profits are deserved.

BTW it is somewhat similar to house prices.

How many times have you heard an idiot say their house is worth so much and it has increased by so much…. Well it is an “acceptable” way to show off your money.

If you say my house is worth £400k and I have a £100k mortgage your saying you have £300k cash. If someone said, I have £300k in the bank they would be treated as smug gits, someone give the house story and no one thinks worse of them

Anyway I like apple for one simple reason, they innovate (and charge you though the nose). I really like my HTC desire which gives me the internet everywhere but it wouldn’t exist without apple. So good on them and their profits are deserved.

Google bought out Android in 2005; so they were working on their phone for some time. Probably had an idea what Apple were up to, though.

I can understand the attraction and have been tempted so wouldn't call all iPad purchasers "idiots." Quite happy with my Linux Acer netbook though, with of course wifi and 3G. There are a few book readers you can download for Linux. I've kind of got through one book, but I think the issue with a netbook, or iPad, are "distractions" when it comes to long periods of reading.

People want dumber and dumber products, that's for sure.

Do they? I think they just want reliable products that are easy to use. The iPad is certainly that. It's limitations are not a secret, so it can be assumed that most purchasers either don't care about them or have decided they can live with them. in the real world I suspect most people don't care about the lack of flash, the fact you can only install Apple approved apps, or that syncing must be done through iTunes. These really aren't big deals for the majority of the population.

I bought one last year and am delighted with it. There's nothing like it for surfing the web. It's fine for short emails. Photos and films look amazing on it. That's why I bought it and in those areas it has met or exceeded my expectations.

Not yet convinced about iBooks. I was quite surprised to find ebooks are often no cheaper than " normal" books, but then I found out that VAT is payable on ebooks. Perhaps surprisingly I haven't downloaded many iPad apps yet. The ones I use the most are iPhone ones I've transferred across. I'm not going to pay £3 for angry birds when I've got it on my phone for 60p.

Interesting how there are very few iPad owners popping up on forums regretting their purchase, though quite a few threads starting like this one, with their intelligence being questioned.

The first web connected windows smartphone came out in 2001, many years before Apple even though of the iPhone. Touchpads were again commonly available eight years or so before the ipad. They were not very successful due to the crippling limitation of not having a keyboard, Apple have added a few more limitations with the result that it to is a flop, except with the zombie suckers.

Apple is the pinacle of 100 years of marketing and sales philosophy.

that is brilliant. i loved watching their banking/economy one too but thought it was a one off.

I have one and I love it.

I travel a lot and rather than buying a book for the journey which then gets chucked/given away, I now just download an ebook to the ipad. Also means I don't have to take the laptop to check 'tinernet and has the added bonus of being big enough to watch TV shows/films on.

Edit - [sp]

I've owned one since June 2010 & don't regret purchasing it in the slightest. It's much more comfortable surfing the net on the ipad than my HP netbook. I've also put some movies on it (using 3rd party software as itunes movies are rather pricey), & utilised it as in car entertainment for the kids.

My nephews and nieces had uniformly asked for iPads for Christmas and when I was there I bought one for myself (having previously resisted having read comments on this forum and others that it might be a gimmick).

I can happily endorse it as brilliant. Apple should run a 'chuck out your net book' campaign like Ikea's 'chuck ou your chintz'

Net books are a tiny screen attached to a bit of old typewriter which, after waiting for it to boot up and connecting a USB modem dongle, you can eventually browse the Internet slowly until the battery promptly runs out.

If this is your idea of 21st century mobile Internet access then good luck to you. :lol:

When idly surfing how often is the keyboard used anyway? The average email, facebook update or forum post (!) isn't that long, and perfectly feasible to bash out on an ipad 'virtual' keyboard.

They aren't the be all and end all, but what it does, it does very well.

If you can't see the rationale behind these devices, pop into an Apple store and spend half an hour surfing the web with one. It might change your opinion...

Not yet convinced about iBooks. I was quite surprised to find ebooks are often no cheaper than " normal" books, but then I found out that VAT is payable on ebooks. Perhaps surprisingly I haven't downloaded many iPad apps yet. The ones I use the most are iPhone ones I've transferred across. I'm not going to pay £3 for angry birds when I've got it on my phone for 60p.

iBooks are expensive and the selection is limited. Download the kindle app. Much cheaper, far better selection and you can sync your purchases with multiple devices.

For anyone who has kids, I can confirm that the Marvel and DC apps comic readers are very good as well.

Don't understand it myself. Use my HTC or laptop to surf, don't see why I need to buy another crappy energy consumer. And it is too difficult to type much on these devices. People who spend hours just surfing by clicking should get out more really. *hides*

Don't understand it myself. Use my HTC or laptop to surf, don't see why I need to buy another crappy energy consumer. And it is too difficult to type much on these devices. People who spend hours just surfing by clicking should get out more really. *hides*

I use the iPad because (as at this precise moment) I am out.

Apple have added a few more limitations with the result that it to is a flop, except with the zombie suckers.

I wish I had a flop like that.

I use the iPad because (as at this precise moment) I am out.

That's the thing. I use my phone when I am out. It fits into my pocket. What use is an iPad? As a rule I don't carry my personal laptop around for fun, regardless of how tablet sized it may be, just another encumbrance.

real keyboard = essential to computing

To me yes, I wouldn't like to layout a book using an iPad.

But how many ordinary users absolutely need that capability?

real keyboard = essential to computing

iPad is a fad that will die within a couple years

I send fewer text messages from my touchscreen phone than I did with a proper keypad because of the annoyance.

I'm certainly not ready to join the revolution. I'll be looking up remmington typewriters on ebay.

To me yes, I wouldn't like to layout a book using an iPad.

But how many ordinary users absolutely need that capability?

At least 7 million don't. That shows how well Apple understand the idiotic fashionable blog surfing time wasting society that is us. And Facebook. And YouTube. And, and, etc etc

I for one useful my phone for portability, laptop for work. Don't need a fad.