House Price Crash Forum
Pauly_Boy

The Pent Up Supply Is Coming To The Market

There was a thread about how there is actually a large number of pent up sellers and I think they're hitting the market near me!

At the start of the year there were 128 HOUSES on the market, now there are 149, instructions are coming think and fast and hopefully I won't jinx the rich vain of supply by posting here!

But it does make sence, the pent up supply of FTBs can't do anything because they simply can't get a mortgage or even a job for some poor soles, but so many people will have put their lives on hold but will want to move to get little timmy into a good school, relocate to change jobs, upsize for more room or simply the boomers downsizing or moving to dorset :)

Also, I'll note that a lady on my road had her house on the market in aug/sept 2010 at £320k but pulled it off the market because the offers she was getting wouldn't allow her to get the place she wanted (65-70yr old single woman, what on earth does she need??). Anyway, it's just come back on the market for £300k

Edited by Pauly_Boy

There was a thread about how there is actually a large number of pent up sellers and I think they're hitting the market near me!

At the start of the year there were 128 HOUSES on the market, now there are 149, instructions are coming think and fast and hopefully I won't jinx the rich vain of supply by posting here!

But it does make sence, the pent up supply of FTBs can't do anything because they simply can't get a mortgage or even a job for some poor soles, but so many people will have put their lives on hold but will want to move to get little timmy into a good school, relocate to change jobs, upsize for more room or simply the boomers downsizing or moving to dorset :)

Also, I'll note that a lady on my road had her house on the market in aug/sept 2010 at £320k but pulled it off the market because the offers she was getting wouldn't allow her to get the place she wanted (65-70yr old single woman, what on earth does she need??). Anyway, it's just come back on the market for £300k

The ToLet/ For Sale signs are flying up here (Edinburgh) I don`t think we have long to wait until some eye watering losses are realised. Of course this was bubble city, some serious pain to come here.

Your local crash, wherever you are.

Brought to you by your friendly neighbourhood spineless man.

It's not a 'crash', it's just an obvious increase in supply. Problem is, one of these houses is very very nice!

It's not a 'crash', it's just an obvious increase in supply. Problem is, one of these houses is very very nice!

Whatever. It's all good for me. No more dinner party banter revolving around property.

Hold your horses and you'll get a good one, just stay liquid until then.

I agree I've been seeing a lot coming on since christmas but the last couple of days have shown big jumps in the numbers of houses on the Market! And it's still the middle of winter! :D

Could be a fear of rate rises?

Edited by Pent Up

I agree I've been seeing a lot coming on since christmas but the last couple of days have shown big jumps in the numbers of houses on the Market! And it's still the middle of winter! :D

Could be a fear of rate rises?

Is it really all yours, Pent Up?

Not really seen it down in the far south west yet, all the sales happen in the summer so the rush should happen for Easter.

Is it really all yours, Pent Up?

Not really seen it down in the far south west yet, all the sales happen in the summer so the rush should happen for Easter.

Is what really all mine?

I watch the total number of properties on the Market in certain areas rather than the nber added per day. All areas have increased in the last three weeks and one area had a 2 % jump yesterday alone!

Is what really all mine?

I watch the total number of properties on the Market in certain areas rather than the nber added per day. All areas have increased in the last three weeks and one area had a 2 % jump yesterday alone!

The Pent Up Supply Is Coming To The Market

I used to get several bread jokes (Hovis) which I never got either, they were from people who didn't know the character Frank Hovis but instead must have thought I was some kind of bread fetishist.

My finest hour. NSFW other than Friday lunchtime.

Hmm.

I wish the same were true for my area.

There are less than half the amount of properties in my range on the market now compared with 2008.

LImited supply and a few cash rich fools 'snapping up' decent stock keeping prices high... just waiting for the dam to break (IR rises, etc.) but it's taking its time...

I had a email from rightmove yesterday in one day 10 new houses in my area came on the market .

A friend is keen to move, and spoke to an estate agent about selling, they recommended that rather than listing it that they (the agent) would recommend it directly to a number of clients they had on their books, I wonder how common this is, sounds like a sneaky way to under report the number if properties on an agents book.

Not where I live mate they've all given up. There were around 360 houses for sale in my rightmove search area in the autumn - now we're down to around the 320 - 300 mark again. :angry:

Hmm.

I wish the same were true for my area.

There are less than half the amount of properties in my range on the market now compared with 2008.

LImited supply and a few cash rich fools 'snapping up' decent stock keeping prices high... just waiting for the dam to break (IR rises, etc.) but it's taking its time...

What area?

It is possible that some areas of Northern England, or Northern Ireland are getting close to the bottom. Sales volumes could be high there, and stocks low.

But most of London and the south-east are still near peak levels.

A friend is keen to move, and spoke to an estate agent about selling, they recommended that rather than listing it that they (the agent) would recommend it directly to a number of clients they had on their books, I wonder how common this is, sounds like a sneaky way to under report the number if properties on an agents book.

Why would anyone agree to that? I'd say no, you show it to your list of 'clients' and advertise you lazy bastards!

Not where I live mate they've all given up. There were around 360 houses for sale in my rightmove search area in the autumn - now we're down to around the 320 - 300 mark again. :angry:

How many added in the past 14 days?

Its seasonal. People take their houses off the market over winter and most relaunch in spring. It's much easier to do it no HIPs are gone.

Do you know how many there were last spring? One of my areas dropped from around 950 in Autumn to around 800 at Christmas but there are still more now than early summer last year, and it's on the up again :)

Why would anyone agree to that? I'd say no, you show it to your list of 'clients' and advertise you lazy bastards!

Fear, as my friend was keen on the idea as it was "better than having the property 'on the market' for months and months".

Edited by Guest

Fear, as my friend was keen on the idea as it was "better than having the property 'on the market' for months and months".

As opposed to having it off the Market for months and months. Some people really are stupid.

As opposed to having it off the Market for months and months. Some people really are stupid.

Indeed, knows enough to know it's a slow market, but fails to realize that by doing this it is on the market but not advertised. Somehow his is special and the estate agent doesn't even need to advertise it perhaps.

He's far from a stupid chap, very smart actually, but when it comes to houses (and high levels of debt in general) it seems people's cognitive abilities diminish.

I used to get several bread jokes (Hovis) which I never got either, they were from people who didn't know the character Frank Hovis but instead must have thought I was some kind of bread fetishist.

My finest hour. NSFW other than Friday lunchtime.

Thanks for that - made me laugh. Will investigate him further!

That is very strange.

What exactly do they mean by "listing", just not advertising it, or also not taking the instruction formally?

That is odd.

What area?

It is possible that some areas of Northern England, or Northern Ireland are getting close to the bottom. Sales volumes could be high there, and stocks low.

But most of London and the south-east are still near peak levels.

Yep, North London.

And it all went quiet after the rate cut. Vendors that didn't need to sell stuck to their absurd asking prices, some simply withdrew from the market. No forced sales, no crash.

Yep, North London.

And it all went quiet after the rate cut. Vendors that didn't need to sell stuck to their absurd asking prices, some simply withdrew from the market. No forced sales, no crash.

I am not so sure about that any more. Like I was just writing in another thread:

http://www.housepricecrash.co.uk/forum/index.php?showtopic=157276&view=findpost&p=2862185 (plus the 2 replies below that)

Yep, North London.

According to rightmove the En2 postcode had 22% more properties for sale in December than there were in January 2010: http://www.rightmove.co.uk/house-value.html/nomsite?searchLocation=EN2+0PW&sellersPriceGuide=Start+Search&radius=0.25&displayPropertyType=&bedrooms=

That's a big YoY increase. Try for your specific north London postcode.

For my area we starting the new year already higher than last years spring levels. Add another pring surge of new listings on top of an already high level and we have an interesting year :)

Edited by Pent Up