House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
interestrateripoff

Record Number Of People Forced To Work Part-Time

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/personalfinance/8269556/Record-number-of-people-forced-to-work-part-time.html

A total of 1.16 million were working part-time during the three months between September to November last year, an increase of 26,000 on the previous quarter and 129,000 compared with a year ago.

The rise highlights concerns amount companies to take on full-time workers amid the fragile longer term economic outlook.

Jim Hillage, director of research at the Institute for Employment Studies, said: “The figures highlight the amount of spare capacity in the labour market.”

Graeme Leach, chief economist at the IoD, said: “The latest labour market statistics provide more evidence of the jobless and joyless economic recovery.

“At this stage in the recovery it would be more encouraging if unemployment was falling and employment was rising. Unfortunately the opposite is still happening. In those areas of the economy where employment is rising, much of the increase tends to be in part-time workers. And all of this before the public sector shake-out has kicked in fully.”

Excellent news for govt tax revenues and the spending of disposable income.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/personalfinance/8269588/Number-of-older-people-forced-out-of-work-reaches-record-high.html

The Office for National Statistics found there were a total of 1.56 million retired people under 65 during the three months between September and November, up 39,000 on the previous quarter.

Campaigners and charities explained the rise, saying older people found themselves “first in line” when companies made redundancies during the economic downturn as they are often on higher salaries than younger employees.

They blamed it on age discrimination and warned Britain risked facing a “lost generation” of older workers.

Rob Tolan, of the grant-giving charity Elizabeth Finn Care, said: “In past recessions, skilled veteran employees were largely spared the pain of redundancy, but this downturn is different.

Have older people priced themselves out of the job market, of course many will need high paying jobs to keep up with all mewing they've been doing.

It's the fudge recovery.

I'll admit it, I choose to work part-time.

I'd recommend it but only if you have a lot of cash! My wife is out working now and has been for the past year (after being a house wife for 5 years), she'll probably continue for another year or two. She's working 12 hour shifts whereas I work 12 hours weeks! Life's pretty good....

I'll admit it, I choose to work part-time.

I'd recommend it but only if you have a lot of cash! My wife is out working now and has been for the past year (after being a house wife for 5 years), she'll probably continue for another year or two. She's working 12 hour shifts whereas I work 12 hours weeks! Life's pretty good....

As a self employed person I find time 'on the bench' is enjoyable in the summer, but I was scratching about for work last Jan/Feb and it was pretty miserable!

Given the number of interests & hobbies I have though, I would really enjoy lots of free time - but I ain't got the money to make it feasible yet.

I am still doing my 6.37 hr job. Switching over to Part time by choice, my 28 x 5m Allotment turned up this year. Applying basic Java skills into some applets to help me work out how much produce the allotment potentially will create. No one wants a freezer full of broad beans :/.

Plus chewing over starting dance classes.

Perhaps I should go all shameless and drop my hours below JSA threshold ...

I am still doing my 6.37 hr job. Switching over to Part time by choice, my 28 x 5m Allotment turned up this year. Applying basic Java skills into some applets to help me work out how much produce the allotment potentially will create. No one wants a freezer full of broad beans :/.

Plus chewing over starting dance classes.

Perhaps I should go all shameless and drop my hours below JSA threshold ...

I'm interested in permaculture myself but I've no idea really. Just a question of giving the garden a bit of a hand before reaping a good harvest. I tend to let things self seed and plant fresh seeds between...would make a proper gardener break down in tears.

Looking forward to spring.

I'm interested in permaculture myself but I've no idea really. Just a question of giving the garden a bit of a hand before reaping a good harvest. I tend to let things self seed and plant fresh seeds between...would make a proper gardener break down in tears.

Looking forward to spring.

Just watch out for people stealing your veg. It's happening more and more.

Campaigners and charities explained the rise, saying older people found themselves “first in line” when companies made redundancies during the economic downturn as they are often on higher salaries than younger employees.

They blamed it on age discrimination and warned Britain risked facing a “lost generation” of older workers.

I'm sick of this boomer propaganda. It is youth unemployment that is the biggest problem in the West. In Spain it's over 40%! In the UK it's 20% (compared to 8% generally) and according to the Office of National Statistics 32,000 of the latest 49,000 increase in the unemployment figures were accounted for by the 16-24 age group. I suppose many of these kids would have been in education but since we've slashed education funding, in part to maintain universal boomer benefits like winter fuel allowances and free bus passes, today's school leavers increasingly find themselves on the dole.

The boomers have left their grandchildren a toxic legacy while squeezing every last drop of unearned wealth out of society. That's bad enough but do we really have to listen to them bleating about how hard done-by they are?

Just watch out for people stealing your veg. It's happening more and more.

What!? On a council estate!?

Actually I live down the bottom end of the bottom end and have a small weedy front garden with no hint of what might lie behind.

Point taken though....

Have older people priced themselves out of the job market,

In a word yes. However it isn't only them that's sleep walking into the trap.

It amuses me that in this ever increasing global labour market, the all right jacks always presume it will be the young and/or low skill worker fodder that will suffer the most.

The more you earn the more eager your employer will be to find an able and cheaper alternative.

Al lot of NMW workers have little to lose on benefits (most end up being better off). However those who rely on big salaries to fund/mortgage their current lifestyles are heading for one hell of a shock.

Edited by PopGun

...for some who can part time can be the ideal work life balance....work, rest and play.

If we all worked part time...we would all have more time to help in the 'big society'. ;)