House Price Crash Forum

i wondered if it would be possible to get enough people thinking along the lines of a kind of protest against the VAT increase, by having them hold off buying large cost items for at least a year. thus scupering the governments plans on milking us on everything we buy.

i wondered if it would be possible to get enough people thinking along the lines of a kind of protest against the VAT increase, by having them hold off buying large cost items for at least a year. thus scupering the governments plans on milking us on everything we buy.

putting up vat is like putting up the BOE base rate but it only affects those with money to spend instead of everyone.

An extra £2.50 out of £100 isnt going to break anyone and if someone has £1000 to spend on a washing machine then the £25 isnt going to bother them anymore than those paying out for new cars.

If they dont try and use vat to quell inflation then the base rate will have to rise. We all want it to but we are not in charge.

No way, I have to have the 50 inch 3D TV before mr and mrs Jones at the bottom of the street because this years X-Factor is going to be the best ever. . . . .

All my best quality 'big-ticket' items have been purchased second hand....... ;)

I'm quite happy with my £2k car that cost somebody else £40,000 a few years back! :huh:

I'm quite happy with my £2k car that cost somebody else £40,000 a few years back! :huh:

My new BOSH washing machine cost £60 still has a years guarantee.....washes like a dream, someone that has plenty of money and loves spending it bought all new integral white goods for their new revamped kitchen ( the old one was perfectly adequate imo and far better than most peoples kitchens) anyway I am not complaining...... ;)

putting up vat is like putting up the BOE base rate but it only affects those with money to spend instead of everyone.

An extra £2.50 out of £100 isnt going to break anyone and if someone has £1000 to spend on a washing machine then the £25 isnt going to bother them anymore than those paying out for new cars.

If they dont try and use vat to quell inflation then the base rate will have to rise. We all want it to but we are not in charge.

Your analysis assumes the perspective of an individual who simply has a big pile of money to spend of goods. However, If you have to earn that money by production in the economy you will notice that VAT causes both prices to rise and demand for services to fall

Edited by Stars

I'm not about to put my life on hold for the sake of a 2.5% VAT hike. If I need something big ticket, I will buy it.

Do you really care about 2.5% extra VAT?

I don't. Even if you buy something that costs 10,000 it's only an extra 250 quid.

I'd rather they increased VAT than income tax. I'd also rather they increased tax on petrol, alcohol, cigarettes, and fast junk food.

Your analysis assumes the perspective of an individual who simply has a big pile of money to spend of goods. However, If you have to earn that money by production in the economy you will notice that VAT causes both prices to rise and demand for services to fall

I am not the one that increased vat, what do you think that the government were thinking then and why did they do it?

Do you really care about 2.5% extra VAT?

I don't. Even if you buy something that costs 10,000 it's only an extra 250 quid.

I'd rather they increased VAT than income tax. I'd also rather they increased tax on petrol, alcohol, cigarettes, and fast junk food.

Well the increase of NI from 11% to 12% is an income tax increase. So you have got both.

Tax on petrol is going up due to the fuel escelator and increase in vat, fags seem to be going up every week now, junk food eaten on the premises is vat rated so that is going up .

So as well as vat going up 2.5% everything else you asked to be raised they have raised. As well as the income tax that was the one you did not want raised. They must have said one up all up !!!

I am not the one that increased vat, what do you think that the government were thinking then and why did they do it?

They do it because it places the tax load on people who (try to or have to) work for a living

The Sales Tax: History of a Dumb Idea

My link

Edited by Stars

Don't worry, many thousands of people will be joining your protest, but probably not through choice.